Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Handicapped Lift

This is not a new topic as I posted awhile back. I did get some good answers but am hoping someone might have missed it and will have personal use.

My wife is handicapped and it is difficult for her to climb the steps into the motor home. I am investigating power lifts that would make this chore easier. Does any one have personal experience with these lifts. There are a limited number of companies who make them but so far no one has one in Northern California for me to view.

Don. WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Don,
I sent you a Private Message a few minutes ago...
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have, and can recommend the Super Arm Lift

This is the least intrusive of any lift and doen't waste any room in the vehicle.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You might also contact Winnebago and ask them what they would recommend--I know that they produce Ability Equipped Coaches.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I am sitting here in Fl. and it just so happens that yesterday a 39ft. 06 Meridian pulled in. Right behind the passenger side slide, there was a large door. Having never seen anything like this before, I asked him about it since I also have a Meridian. He said his wife was handicapped and Winnie built the coach for he and his wife. The door had a wheel-chair lift and he said it worked great ever since they built it. LThe door was very nicely done and did not take away from the appearance of the coach what so ever. You almost did not know it was there at first glance. He also said it was great for loading and unloading. Very nice couple and if you would like PM me and I will try and get his phone number so you can talk with him or call Winnie since they have done this before.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I am a paraplegic from a m/c wreck, so I have lifts everywhere. On my MH I have a full wheelchair lift like "fun time" described, but that is probably overkill for your needs.

I have taken a CoachLift person lift(RV Handicapped Lifts for Vans : Handicapped Chair Lift : Handicap Lifts for Vans : CoachLift.com) that is meant to be mounted on a MH and adapted it to our bass boat trailer. It does the job very well, but it is very slow, taking many minutes to accomplish the up and down cycle I use. But it will accomplish what you need.

I have seen the Super Arm lift in action a few times and it would also fit your needs well. I have only seen it used with a wheelchair, but I assume you could adapt a seat or sling to sit in if your wife doesn't use a w/c.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I did post in your last thread but here's an update.
After a couple of replacement actuators that could better handle the 55" distance of lift we needed we are VERY pleased with our Burr Handi-lift. The customer service can't be beat. The exchange of actuators has cost us nothing.
The lift travels solidly & securely with no extra noise. Our total cost was approx. $3,000.00.
If your wife can stand this is a good option. It changed my world

Marilyn
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks folks for the info now if I could find one that has been installed so I was able to take a look I would be happy. This truly is a great site with knowledgeable, careing participants.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

We're in Seaside, OR now & will be near Pacific City, OR May - September if your travel plans include the Oregon Coast.
Our lift is mounted on a 40' bus style DP; lift goes 55" from ground to floor level. Lift time is 1 minute 5 seconds.
Best of luck in your hunt.

Marilyn
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
This is not a new topic as I posted awhile back. I did get some good answers but am hoping someone might have missed it and will have personal use.

My wife is handicapped and it is difficult for her to climb the steps into the motor home. I am investigating power lifts that would make this chore easier. Does any one have personal experience with these lifts. There are a limited number of companies who make them but so far no one has one in Northern California for me to view.

Don. WIT 70041
Don,
Did you ever find a suitable solution to your question? If not, may I respectfully suggest that, depending upon your wife's ability to negotiate a gentle (ADA approved) ramp with the assistance of a steady hand rail, you may be able to adequately address the matter without needing to install a hydraulic or electric lift system.

There are a number of portable aluminum ramps which can be easily adapted to the doorway width and brackets can be fitted to the coach to provide a firm anchor point for a hand rail from the base of the ramp to the coach.

This approach encourages a person to continue the use of their personal mobility for as long as possible. Please have a certified Rehabilitation Physical Therapist consult in the matter to be certain this is within her capabilities and can be done safely and beneficially.

Best wishes to your and yours,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chairlift, handicapped