Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

GE Advantium Microwave Quit Working

Our GE Advantium Microwave quit today. There is power at the wall outlet and nothing works on the microwave, no display or anything. Has anyone else experienced problems with their GE Advantium? Ours is model number SCA 1001.

I have read on the Internet that some units have an internal fuse that blows??

I am out of warranty (4 years old). Wondering whether to repair or replace. A new unit at Home Depot is $650.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Unhappy

Although we don't have a GE model and can't answer your question, we feel your pain. Last month while we were way up in BC returning from AK the microwave part of our Sharp microwave/convection oven quit. We had to go back to cooking and reheating things on the stove top! Camping World at Burlington, WA replaced it with a like model and the cost, except for our deductible, was covered by our extended warranty.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Our GE Advantium Microwave quit today. There is power at the wall outlet and nothing works on the microwave, no display or anything. Has anyone else experienced problems with their GE Advantium? Ours is model number SCA 1001.

I am out of warranty (4 years old). Wondering whether to repair or replace. A new unit at Home Depot is $650.
Yes there is an internal fuse and it went out on mine twice. Before you replace talk to GE service. They are expensive but I don't think it would cost $650.
GE Appliance Service: repair, troubleshoot, schedule service, broken appliance
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post

I just had a GE microwave do the same thing, one year to the week from purchase. I called GE and was told it was tough luck for me. I am going to have a local repairman look into the fuse thing, as I heard the same information. However, I bought a different brand to replace it. I checked the reviews on GE and it seems to be a normal occurrence.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

LK23: there is an internal fuse, get it from an appliance store. Ceramic fuse, Slow Blow. I forget the amp but they will know, about $4.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I found two fuses behind the top vent panel. Both were good. If there are more I could not find them.

We are traveling and I didn't care to mess with repair, wait for parts, etc. so we bought a new unit from Home Depot and had it delivered to our campground. Yes, it was expensive. Knowing this might happen again, I purchased the extended warranty.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just had my Sharp control board repaired by these people all Microwave Display Repair Sharp Dacor GE General Electric

Took about 10 days and cost $39.95.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Prior to my decision, I called GE repair and found it was $85 just to show up. then parts and labor on top of that. I figured minimum cost to repair would be $250.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I had this same thing happen to me twice before. The first time I had a dealer replace it, costs about $60 bucks in Oregon. The second time I replaced the fuse myself. The fuse cost about $30 bucks and had to be special ordered. Replacing the fuse requires removing the MW and dissembling the MW and removing some parts inside the unit. However it is not all that difficult. It is harder to remove and replace the MW from the wall that actually replacing the fuse. After replacing the fuse a second time, we now use the fan until the MW is cool because heat is what causes the fuse to blow. Since using the fan while using the oven and other cooking that require long use we have not blown a fuse since.

Starchy
starchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

A correction on my earlier post. The part cost $17.68 from ASSURED PARTS, 465 S Ronald Reagan Blvd., Longwood, FL 32750, telephone number 407-834-1004. This was purchased on May 9, 2007. The part number is WB21X10046, Description TCO, OVEN CA.

Starchy
starchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Starchy,

You post confirms I did the right thing by getting a new unit and a 5 year warranty. If the Advantium has to be disassembled to replace the fuse I have to have a technician do it. It weights 78 lbs and I cannot take it down and re-install it. I guessed it was a cheap part. It is the access that is the problem.