Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J. The problem that we are having is that we turn the thermostat to Gas Heat, the fan to Auto and High
and set it at about 63 degrees for the night. We then go to bed and the outside temperature goes down to about 25 degrees. The furnace will go on and off once or twice and then will not come on again. We woke up this morning with the inside temperature being in the 40s. The furnace was not running. I then turned the setting to Off and back to Gas Heat and the furnace immediately came on and heated up to the set temperature.

We took the rig to the factory earlier this month with several problems, including this one. They replaced the True Air thermostat. Normally, we use the heat pump so we haven't tested the furnace much at temps over 40 degrees but I think it works better at the warmer outside temperatures than it does below freezing.

I'm doubtful that we got a new thermostat that is defective and does the same thing as the older one did so I am wondering what the problem
can be. Has anyone else had this problem and what was done to fix it?
We are in Branson this week and it is expected to be about 21 degrees
tonight so I guess I will be getting us 2 or 3 times during the night to turn the furnace off and on to get it to heat.

Helllp....

Doug Sage
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J. The problem that we are having is that we turn the thermostat to Gas Heat, the fan to Auto and High
and set it at about 63 degrees for the night. We then go to bed and the outside temperature goes down to about 25 degrees. The furnace will go on and off once or twice and then will not come on again. We woke up this morning with the inside temperature being in the 40s. The furnace was not running. I then turned the setting to Off and back to Gas Heat and the furnace immediately came on and heated up to the set temperature.

We took the rig to the factory earlier this month with several problems, including this one. They replaced the True Air thermostat. Normally, we use the heat pump so we haven't tested the furnace much at temps over 40 degrees but I think it works better at the warmer outside temperatures than it does below freezing.

I'm doubtful that we got a new thermostat that is defective and does the same thing as the older one did so I am wondering what the problem
can be. Has anyone else had this problem and what was done to fix it?
We are in Branson this week and it is expected to be about 21 degrees
tonight so I guess I will be getting us 2 or 3 times during the night to turn the furnace off and on to get it to heat.

Helllp....

Doug Sage
Old 11-22-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The problem is more likely in the ignition board of the furnace or air flow than the thermostat. Have had some where the gas would not ignite because the ignition probe was to far back on the burner to ignite the gas. You could try as a temporary fix to restrict the incoming air flow from the outside by using a small piece of tape to cover the intake air vent. Try that to determine if it solves your problem.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The gas furnace tries to ignite three times I believe. If there is no flame detected at the burner after the third atempt, it shuts down, The reset procedure is to turn the thermostat to the off position.

Once it has been reset it will try to ignite again for three times and shut down if no burner flame is detected.

You did not mention if it fuctions at all during the day. It sounds like it is either not getting propane (possible air in the line) or it is not getting ignition.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We are in Branson this week and it is expected to be about 21 degrees
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Can't help you much with the furnace problem, but before I got up 2-3 times a night I think I'd go out and buy a small electric heater that at least would keep the bedroom comfortable!
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The furnace will turn on and heat during the day. I have it turned on now - it is 38 degrees out still. The furnace has cycled on and off with no problem so far this morning.

It seems like the only time I have problems with it is at night and when it is below freezing outside.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It seems like the only time I have problems with it is at night and when it is below freezing outside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,
I recently saw a post of someone that had similar problems, It was caused by the propane freezing up. Appearently the propane mixtures up north are changed for winter use, to prevent freeze ups of the pressure regulator. Mixtures sold in the North or in the winter in the south have a mixture change which allows for the colder temperatures. Might be worth looking into.

The post was either on IRV2 or the Winnebago forum on Yahoo. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Doug,

I could not find the post, but it has to do with thee mixture of butane and propane. Butane freezes much earlier than propane.

If it happends again you might want to see if your stove top will light and stay lit (all three pits). In my coach I also have a second furnace (one in the bedroom and one for the living area). If you have two furnaces you might see how the second one functions. The stove top should also indicate if you are getting propane through the pressure regulaor or not.

It sure sounds like a propane with to much butane mixed in. Butane is less expensive than propane, which is why they like to mix in butane when the weather is not cold.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Good idea about the propane freezing. I will check the stove burners next time it happens.

I also just realized that we had a front come through yesterday afternoon and night. We had wind gusts that may have affected the ability of the furnace to light. I wonder is that is what has been happening to me...
Old 11-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I don't think butane/propane mixtures have been sold in the US for quite a few years so I doubt if that is the problem.

If it is related to outside temps being very cold it is possible that there is water in the tank - that can cause the regulator to freeze up.
Most propane companies can add some alcohol to the tank to alleviate the problem. There may be other fixes that involve draining the tank, but I have only heard of adding the alcohol.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Well, it appears that I must have something defective in the furnace. The furnace works with no problem until the temperature gets down to about freezing. Then it will run and heat up to the setting of the thermostat and turn off. The problem is that it will not turn back on automatically (at temps below freezing). I can reset it by turning the thermostat switch to off and back on and the furnace immediately starts and heats just fine. I assume from this that the problem is not bad propane. I am wondering if there is a circuit board in the furnace that might be defective. Anyway, it appears that all it needs is a reset to operate for one more cycle before failing again.

Doug