Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Full wall slide reliable?

I am considering trading up from my Adventurer to a Journey 34Y, it has a full wall slide. I have had a few issues with the large slide in the Adventurer and I am concerned about the reliability of the full slide. How are they holding up? Are there any problems that I should be aware of before making this swap?

Thanks in advance!

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

i HAVE AN 07 38' ADVENTURE from new and i haven't had any warranty claims on the slides.
ARROWVP38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a '09 32H Adventurer with the full wall slide.This is my third season with her,with about 10K.Zero problems with either slide.The big one does creak and crack going in and out,and I was nervous in the beginning,but I not anymore! We love the room.

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Have a 2008 Voyage 32H with the 25 ft drivers side slide and BR passenger side slide. This is last year they made the Voyage. Moved this model up and made the 2009 Adventurer 32H. The 25' slide has never worked correctly and neither has the BR. The BR won't go all the way out without me pushing it out the last 6 inches as DW holds out button. The 25' goes out but has always been difficult getting back in. It has to go UP the first 2-3 inches and then when it becomes level it comes in. LAZYDAYS(Tampa,FL) worked on both slides and said they came from factory not adjusted correctly. Said they were too high. That was after the hydraulic pump was replaced under warranty. About 50% of the time I have to use the manual overide to get the 25' slide in. In Upper Peninsula (Michigan) and have 6/1 date at Winnebago to hope to get it fixed permanently. I do like the extra room it creates.

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgagehomes View Post
I am considering trading up from my Adventurer to a Journey 34Y, it has a full wall slide. I have had a few issues with the large slide in the Adventurer and I am concerned about the reliability of the full slide. How are they holding up? Are there any problems that I should be aware of before making this swap?

Thanks in advance!
Maybe not soon enough for you. We've had one for over a year and the slide is reliable. After this I would never get multiple slides on both sides. The full wall slide makes the 34Y feel like a 38 footer.
maybesoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Navyblue, does your Voyage have HWH or Kwikee slide mechanisms?
What name is on the panel where the buttons are?
Thank you.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a 2008 Destination (39W) with the full wall slide. Apparently there was a manufacturer problem and they issued a "kit" for anyone that had a problem. Our problem was that the slide came off kilter and pulled up the pedestal that the bed rides on when extending or retracting. They said they fixed it, but on this last trip (6 weeks ago) the entire pedestal was ripped from the bedroom floor. Quite a mess. It was stated that only 90% of the kit was installed. The additional 10% was to widen the rails that slide on the Teflon pads of the pedestal.

I also have had to use the manual override to bring in the back side of the slide. I checked the "brake" lever (on my model counter clockwise to release the brake and clockwise to engage the brake) and found it to be a little toward the counterclockwise position. I flipped it a few times and made sure it was in the clockwise position. Seems to be working fine - so far. I have it in the shop to check alignment. The brake that holds the slide in can also be tightened some to keep the slide from walking out.

It is thought that the brake not being fully engaged could cause the slide to walk. This can cause problems if it is to extreme. Remember if you have to use the manual override to only walk in each side a very little at a time. I think the book calls for no more than 2 inches per side. It really needs to be brought in as evenly as possible.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

MillRv,

Mine is Kwikee. The Winnie factory guys are GREAT !!!! Mine was out of warranty by (1) year, but they did a "Good Faith" fix. CSR tech said he saw where LAZYDAYS "fixed" it in 2009 under warranty, but both the BR slide and drivers side Full slide was still problematic for over a year after that. Winnie factory replaced Full slide controller, aligned both slides, greased both and spent over (6) hours working on it until they got it right. Would have cost me about $1,200 parts and labor. Has worked flawlessly for (6) weeks. I wrote a letter to CEO because of that and some other gratis work as well as work I paid to have done. Front grill had (1) vertical fin missing. Installed new grill, no charge. The bracket that holds the full slide cover/awning broke off. Installed new one, no charge. Coach is (1) year out of warranty but now I know why they are the #1 selling coach. They took care of me and other folks I talked to. They have a 12 site campground with 50 A and water to stay each night after they work on the coach for the day. I went on the factory tour and the American work ethic is alive and well in Iowa. If you are going coast to coast it may be worth for Winnie owners to stop at the factory.

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote