Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Full Body Paint what do you use polish or wax

I read in my Winnebago owners manual to use Maguires number 8 polish . I have used it since May when we got our new coach.The problem is they have quit making it. So I was wondering what you have used. I called Winnebago customer service today and they said no past waxes no polimers and no silicones .Most of the new waxes have one our more of these in them. So what do you experts use on your full body paint.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have been polishing/waxing my 04 Horizon since new with nothing but liquid clearcoat safe products. They have done a very good job and it still looks new. Maquires makes a fine liquid clearcoat safe wax. Good luck.
Golf Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
liquid clearcoat safe products.
Ditto ...normally the Turtle Wax version maybe twice a year. Used nothing else since new, paint still looks great.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

With our clear coat full body paint I only wipe it down with a damp terrycloth towel.
When it was newer, I used a liquid spray-on wax on one side. When I got done with that one side I could see no difference.
I figure there's no sense making work I don't need.
After seven years the paint still looks great just using the wrung-out, damp terrycloth method.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I use Nu-Finish Wax on our 2003 Expedition. Have been using it since we purchased it. No problems at all with the finish. The reason I chose Nu-Finish is I had used it on our other 3 coaches, and it seems to hold up for at least one year. It is also clear coat safe.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I also use Nu-Finish but lately on the top only. At a seminar at GNR Winnebago recommended RejeX on the clearcoat so we use that. Last year at Forest City, Brenda told us that Winnebago uses Wizards Mist-N-Shine on the new motorhomes so we are using that for the every week or so wipe and clean. Really works great. "Contains no wax, solvents or silicone". I still use Nu-Finish on the CRV, metal parts.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the help I talked to a Dave from the place that paints all the full body paint for Winnebago. He said he did not know that Winnebago had anything in its owners manual about polish and waxes. So I guess after you polish you should use some kind of wax to.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I've always used NuFinish on ours. Last summer I saw a product made by Mothers which was called Mothers Syn (synthetic) wax. It comes in a paste wax type can and maybe resembles it a bit but wow it goes on easy, you don't use much and it doesn't dry to a white haze but more of a clear haze. It comes off great and makes a difficult job very easy.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct78barnes View Post
Thanks for all the help I talked to a Dave from the place that paints all the full body paint for Winnebago. He said he did not know that Winnebago had anything in its owners manual about polish and waxes. So I guess after you polish you should use some kind of wax to.
I also called CDI this afternoon and they told me to feel free to use any polish or wax that I would use on my car. They told me some waxes will use more elbow grease than others. They apparently don't not recommend a specific product.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Meguiars is my choice. If you coach is a few years old, use the cleaner-wax.

If you still have some muscle power left, then follow up with Meguiars Deep crystal wax.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

If I am feeling frisky and in the mood to do a thorough polish, I use NuFinish. However, I am more likely to use No Wet which is a waterless cleaner and wax which is easy to use.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Protect-all
Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #13

Nu finish is a pretty radical polish, I wouldn't use it on anything that wasn't pretty heavily oxidized and basically shot anyway.
My grandfather used it on the light green paint on his oldsmobile back in the 80's, car looked like crap after a while....

Use any good clearcoat safe wax. Unless you're paint is heavily oxidized, stay way from anything labelled "cleaner" or "polish?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have witnessed others use and used Nu Finish myself on some of the finest paint jobs ever done on an auto or show vehicle(even black)...NEVER any issues. Nu Finish is the only wax/polish/protectant in my garage and is used on everything I own.
Is it the best? I have no idea....Am I satisfied with it's durability and ease of use?..YES
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I talked to keystone customer service guy and he recommended nu finish for the glass walls. do not use any thing with a cleaner in it. other wise anything with out a cleaner in it will be OK. Most waxes are a lot of work to use. so get something easy on, easy off. he told me not to use car washing stations with pressure hoses and hot wax. might make leaks and then you are in trouble.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Hi I was wondering how to polish out those scatches from tree branches without damaging the finish
RV_CB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint