Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

fuel pump not working.

my winnie has been sitting for a long time. yesterday we ( my mechanic friend and I) disengaged the fuel line at the fuel filter in order to flush the gas tank which has been almost empty . put 5 gallons of fresh fuel in and no noise and no flow. the engine turns over. trying to get it to fire but first we have to get the old bad stuff out. tried numerous times no flow. pump not working. I cannot raise the RV any higher to drop the tank so we took out the mattress on the bed platform over the gas tank. and sitting right on top of where we figure the pump is, is the fresh water tank ( it's empty). i am hoping there is an access panel below it .if not, we are considering making one. It is a 1994 Winnebago Itasca sunrise 7.5 liter ford , model number ICF29RQ. any advise or suggestions would be most appreciated.
95winnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

fuel pump.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Team

I edited the title for you.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Okay. we pulled the water tank from under the bed. getting to the plumbing was a real chore. just then, i had a novel thought: go under the RV , measure from the backwall to the back of the gas tank, then measure from the back of the tank to the sending unit using a tape measure, flashlight and my cell phone as a telescope ( somehow I grew a third arm). what i figure out was that the fuel pump was located directly over the threshold to the bedroom where the bathroom linoleum meets the bedroom carpet. i was advised that making a hatch there would be expensive and more trouble than it was worth. so, we are going to have to block up the RV and drop the tank . time to buy more piston jack and blocks of wood.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

There are times when its best to drop the tank and this is one of them. On a Class A with basement access with all the tanks over the drive shaft it is easier to cut the hole but your best off dropping the tank so you can clean it out and get it relined before replacing the fuel pump and fuel sock.

Before going any further though, did you verify that the fuel pump fuse is good, that the fuel pump relay is working and that the plugs along the wiring harness to the fuel pump are passing power to the pump? Too many replace fuel pumps only to find it was a dirty connector, blown/dirty fuse or failed fuel pump relay.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

95Winnee, Most likely by now you have the fuel pump changed out and your motor home is running fine. I had mine replaced a few years ago.
However, just lately I discovered a problem that I was lucky enough to solve. To get the fuel pump relay, after removing the doghouse, you have to reach forward over the AC compressor and to the left and find it mostly by feeling on the wall. There is another relay just like this one right beside this one. It isn't easy to remove. Take hold of the relay and wiring harness and push up. The recent problem I had was a shortage in the wiring harness (pigtail). I replaced it and she runs fine.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

thanks for the replies! poured in 5 gallons of fuel 2 weeks ago ( gas) to loosen up any debris. no we did not check the relay(s) fuse(s) or power to connectors ( thanks for adding to the list LOL) the RV has been sitting and not run for some years. when we pulled the pump out it was rusty and the lines from the plate to the pump disintegrated upon touch. very rusty. mechanic friend looked at it and said pump and sending unit were toast. going to clean out tank and reline it. had to cut out the metal fuel lines to remove the pump ( nothing easy about " quick disconnect " fuel lines, there's another battle in the future ( I have the tool, but only one of the four lines will disengage , two for filter, two for pump). i am not a mechanic but I'll tell ya I have learned more in the last 6 months than I ever dreamed of! due to funds i am trying to do as much of the work myself. clean tank , tank epoxy and install new pump, blow out fuel lines troubleshoot infinitum. by the way: 75 gal tank, "Ferd" super duty class A motorhome. Winne model number ICF2940 1994.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

fuel pump removal

had to take time off for operation to remove cancer. before the operation we dropped the tank. after the operation i hooked up a chain and drug it out with my pick up . there was an Inch of sludge from the ethanol on the bottom. what a mess, cleaned it out where i could ( it has two baffles , one at either ends). I took the tank to Sarasota radiator . Ron cleaned it out and sand blasted the inside. next step is clean fuel lines, buy fuel pump, install.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95winnee View Post
had to take time off for operation to remove cancer. before the operation we dropped the tank. after the operation i hooked up a chain and drug it out with my pick up . there was an Inch of sludge from the ethanol on the bottom. what a mess, cleaned it out where i could ( it has two baffles , one at either ends). I took the tank to Sarasota radiator . Ron cleaned it out and sand blasted the inside. next step is clean fuel lines, buy fuel pump, install.
Ethanol has probably ruined more stuff than imaginable. Never should have been mandated. Hopefully you'll have your RV running smoothly in no time. As far as the cancer goes, I pray thee well. I hate cancer.

Tags
fuel