Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Front Windshield

I just purchased a 42 foot Winnebago Tour. I got home from a trip and when I put the jacks down the front windshield cracked from top to bottom. The jacks are HWH. I was at a rally and several other people had the same problem. A friend of mine had his windshield replaced at his dealership and when the took it off of the jacks it broke again. Anyone else have the same problem?
rjg2074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Ouch that is interesting. So sorry to hear about your issue and

:welcome:
Old 10-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It sounds like maybe you have a used coach. I thought that WBGO went with the Lippert jack leveling systems in recent years??? If I'm wrong so be it.

We have the Lippert LCI system and just had the entire pump assembly replaced. We only have 19,000 miles on the coach and probably no more than 100 lifts on the system.

When a coach is lifted by the jacks they ALWAYS are supposed to work in pairs. That's two fronts, two rears two on the left side and two on the right. That is supposed to prevent twisting of the frame and subsequent broken windshields.

I know that as I'm lifting our coach one of my jacks was not grounding as I thought it had. When doing the manual lift I bring the fronts down first. I can feel both of them hit the ground. Then I do the rears but can't tell as easily if they have grounded since I'm way up front. If in fact one is not grounding the potential of twisting the frame becomes greater.

I was also told that the WBGO front cap design with the steel frame around the windshield is much safer and better for the windshield.

We had a 1999 Dutch Star by Newmar and after driving down a very bumpy entry road into a CG about 2 hours later the entire windshield broke like it was hit with a bat. I drove very slowly over that road but i guess it was just way to much.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

So you have a new coach. That's great because WBGO should be able to determine why it cracked the WS.

This was your first post and you have no information regarding where you live. That's OK but finding a place that can determine why the WS broke may be something that the folks up at the WBGO factory need to see.

Finding a shop that can accurately diagnose why it cracked in my opinion is number one concern. This just might be something that only the factory can correctly fix. I'd call WBGO customer service up in Forest City Iowa to see if they can either recommend a shop close to you that they would trust for an accurate diagnoses or maybe take it to Iowa. That just might be their call.

Not just any RV repair place can diagnose what and why this happened with a new coach. Yes it may be inconvenient for you to drive a distance but getting it fixed correctly for me would be my first concern.

If you get it fixed you sure don't want it happening again.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We live in Garland, TX and it is presently at the dealership. There first response was that this has never happened before. There are many posts on the internet where others have had the same problem.
rjg2074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Fill in your signature information with your MH info so we can better help.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I know I'm a little ways from TX but I just had a GREAT windshield replacement in my hometown of Fort Smith, AR. today. 2013 Itasca Suncruiser 35P with the single full glass. $ 3127.00 including all new materials, inbound freight and demo/install labor. They gave me a checklist in/out list and didn't even leave smudge on the interior. With 6 men working on it, everything was done and ready for curing in about 2.5 hours. If you want more information write me at: [email protected]. Thanks.
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote