Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

OK--this is too simple. I have been looking for a way to hold my Journey's front door open so it wouldn't snap off in the wind. Just got back from a 4&1/2 month winter trip and found this in Benson AZ. Really simple--sorry no picture--but I think I can explain it. Small angle bracket (it was aluminum) centered just over the front door with a small hole. Drill small hole in top center of door just a little off center to the non hinged side. Measure for a small steel rod which you bend at each end just about an inch. The one I saw had a clear plastic hose pulled over the part that was between the bends. Just pop in when you want to leave the door open and relax. They leave their door open most of the time and have not had a problem. I am off to Home Depot to buy the parts. Simple is good--for me!

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

OK--this is too simple. I have been looking for a way to hold my Journey's front door open so it wouldn't snap off in the wind. Just got back from a 4&1/2 month winter trip and found this in Benson AZ. Really simple--sorry no picture--but I think I can explain it. Small angle bracket (it was aluminum) centered just over the front door with a small hole. Drill small hole in top center of door just a little off center to the non hinged side. Measure for a small steel rod which you bend at each end just about an inch. The one I saw had a clear plastic hose pulled over the part that was between the bends. Just pop in when you want to leave the door open and relax. They leave their door open most of the time and have not had a problem. I am off to Home Depot to buy the parts. Simple is good--for me!

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Be sure to post a picture when the project is completed!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My new Winnie came with a holder to keep the door open. It is a very simple mechanism and seems to work well. It could probably be purchased from Winnie. I will try and get some picures of it so I can post here.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The door bracket on the new coaches is a good thing. To bad it took Winnebage 10 years too long to come up with it. Almost all Monaco and American coaches I have seen have used a door bracket for years. I looked into putting one on my Horizon but found that the newer door jamb is considerably different than the old and it would not just "bolt on."
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The one on my Destination is near the bottom of the door and in the middle side to side. I think it would fit on any flat door.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes, please post a pictures when you can.

It's not your description, it's my lack of being able to spatially picture things in my mind. I'd never make it as an engineer!

I had my front door slammed into the fully open position once by a gust of wind and it didn't seem like it did any damage but I sure seemed like it would have done damage with the way that it slammed into the fully open position. I hope that didn't weaken any hinges or anything.

Those of you who have side doors that swing 180 degrees are lucky compared to those of us who have front doors that swing 90 degrees and are just asking to be slammed into their hinges!

Thanks.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Gotta see this one..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote