A note for preventative maintenance in this area:
I noticed my awning starting "snapping" on open and close and saw one end was binding. After I experienced the thermal shut down I determined I needed to re-align the arms on the cap forward about 1mm. It took some trial and error to figure out the right technique to do this but now the thing opens and closes very smoothly and quietly.
Interestingly, several other Winnie coaches in my local WIT chapter are having the same problem and their owners were very interested my results. I think at the next outing I'm going to walk around with a sign that says "Will fix door awning for beer".