Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Once again our front door awning will not close without the thermal protector where ever it is shutting down and keeping the awning from retracting. I had this problem about two years ago and was able to resolve it by sliding the collar over on the main shaft that was dragging on the housing and lube the pivot points etc. This time nothing seems to help. Could it suffer from low volts-amps?
Anyone have any suggestions and I can't find an 800 number for A&E Dometic in our bag of info-sure could use that about now.

Thanks for your help, Bob
rvrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Once again our front door awning will not close without the thermal protector where ever it is shutting down and keeping the awning from retracting. I had this problem about two years ago and was able to resolve it by sliding the collar over on the main shaft that was dragging on the housing and lube the pivot points etc. This time nothing seems to help. Could it suffer from low volts-amps?
Anyone have any suggestions and I can't find an 800 number for A&E Dometic in our bag of info-sure could use that about now.

Thanks for your help, Bob
Old 04-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bob,

I haven't had a problem yet, so I don't have any suggestions, but I found the 800 number. It's 800-544-4881 for the Dometic service center assistance. Good luck...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Bob,

Wish I could help you but I have had the same binding problem that then causes the thermal overload condition. Mine is on a 03 39QD but suspect it is the same unit. Mine would bind up and you would have to pull on the arms to get it to extend and retract. I did tear into it one time and after some highly technical "filing" of metal parts that were worn and groved in places they should not have been, and significant greasing, it worked OK for a while and now it is binding again. I quit using the thing. Sorry I couldn't help more.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the help, I will call the 800 number and see what happens. I don't think we have used the thing more than a dozen times in the five years since we bought the Journey new. Tried to use it in Arizona during the winter with no success. Turns out to be a very expensive decoration?

Thanks, Bob
Old 04-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
A note for preventative maintenance in this area:

I noticed my awning starting "snapping" on open and close and saw one end was binding. After I experienced the thermal shut down I determined I needed to re-align the arms on the cap forward about 1mm. It took some trial and error to figure out the right technique to do this but now the thing opens and closes very smoothly and quietly.

Interestingly, several other Winnie coaches in my local WIT chapter are having the same problem and their owners were very interested my results. I think at the next outing I'm going to walk around with a sign that says "Will fix door awning for beer".

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Can't say whether it was thermal shut down or not but mine would just not work and I was told I needed a new motor after several folks had looked at it. 700+ dollars. It is just not the motor but the whole assembly gears and all. After much to do and several people mispeaking, I had mine replaced for free even after 3/4 years. If you call Dometic some folks may tell you its a ONE year warranty ,, but us Winnie folks have TWO because winnie pays more for the awning. OR that was the last time I spoke about the issue, Things change. Seems like 03 was not a good year for that door awning...If you have to pay 700+ to have the awning work, then do as Rick..Crank if you have to use it...I can do a lot of cranking on a awning for 700+ dollars. Good Miles , be safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote