Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

SteveG - Since you did such a good job fixing your problem, can you make any guess as to how much of a gap at the corner a coach could have and not cause any problem as long as it was kept filled with caulk so there would be no leaks? I'm not that confident in my ability to be drilling into painted fiberglas. Just trying to tell when a person should start doing a complete repair job that Winnebago screwed up on from the beginning. Thanks for all your help, suggestions, and especially the pictures.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Wagonmaster2, I discovered my cap corner separation about the same time I had a front marker light lens leak. At least I think it was the marker light leaking. I did the marker light "fix" that, I think, slranger provided and had no more leak. Except I really never got to test it until after the cap was fixed. So I never really knew what was leaking. My guess was the marker light as when I inspected the cabinet above the drivers seat, which is where you would try to access the metal piece that the side cap was attached to, it was not damp.
Wish I could be more helpful, but really cannot guess how much opening will be too much. A heavy rain from the rear direction might leak before taking on rain from the front. But that's all speculation. Also, from my boating days, caulking a flexible joint will not afford leak protection for long.
Maybe you can find a good body shop that has some RV experience. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Thanks Steve - so far mine seems to be fitting close on the side wall but has a pretty good gap along the shoulder up toward the air horns that's filled with caulk. Guess I'll just keep a watch on it. Thanks again.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote