Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Front cap coming loose

The front cap on my 2005 Journey is coming loose above the driver's side window. It appears somebody tried to fix/glue this area before, but it didn't hold. Any ideas as to how to fix this problem> Also, my local rv dealer said they put a strip of caulk across the top where the cap meets the rest of the roof, but they also said it would be temporary fix.

Thanks for your help!
kb9adw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9adw View Post
The front cap on my 2005 Journey is coming loose above the driver's side window. It appears somebody tried to fix/glue this area before, but it didn't hold. Any ideas as to how to fix this problem> Also, my local rv dealer said they put a strip of caulk across the top where the cap meets the rest of the roof, but they also said it would be temporary fix.

Thanks for your help!
Mine(previous 5er) pulled away some so I took it to Camping World for repair. The technician put it back in place, then inserted 3 large pop-rivets through the cap flange and roof, then covered the seam with Eternabond.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Maybe a good layer of Dicor and Eternabond tape?
Old 08-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I did a repair like this although I don't know if this is the same problem you have. I believe the top of the cap is sealed to the roof with self leveling dap.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/adhe...s-12521-2.html
Old 08-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Above the driver window ...I understand you to mean this is the corner of the front cap when it laps over the sidewall. Winnebago had a problem with the corner lifting and pulling away from the sidewall in the early to mid-2000's. If you carefully examine a later model, there is a fastener at the corner to hold it in. In early 2008 after experiencing a big leak during a rain, I found that mine had pulled away leaving a huge gap on both the vertical and horizontal sides of the corner on the driver side. I removed the seam strip inside between the ceiling and front cap liner and found a screw/bolt that appeared loose. I managed to tighten it considerably. Then between storms I used the only thing I had available, black silicone caulk/adhesive. (Yes, I know all the warnings about using silicone based caulk on an RV ...no admonishments required). I cleaned the surfaces as best I could and filled the gap with the caulk/adhesive to stop the water intrusion. The black caulk is not noticeable against the dark maroon paint around it. In July of 2008 I had the factory check it while we were at GNR. It was still sealed well, and the corner had not lifted/pulled away any more. Their recommendation was that as it obviously had not separated any further, to leave it as it was. That was eight years ago, and it remains as it was then. I have never had to re-caulk that area.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had the same issue on both sides of the cap after Winnebago had replaced the sidewalls and reinstalled the cap slightly off center. I used black 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive/Sealant to re-secure the cap to the sidewall. Used a larger screw and a large washer to pull the cap in while the adhesive cured. Also caulked the perimeter of the cap on the sidewalls using the 5200. Has held now for 5 years. 5200 is a near permanent adhesive so is difficult to remove and unlikely to ever fail. It comes in two versions - one with a 7 day cure and the second with a 24 hour cure. I used the 7 day product. It is a Marine product very useful to have on hand for emergencies and can be purchased at marine stores like West Marine and also carried in some Lowes stores. Good luck, you will become a big fan of this product as most Rv'ers who are ex-boaters will attest to its usefulness around the RV!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I had the rear cap on an Itasca Windcruiser come completely off one time several years ago. I used GE clear INDUSTRIAL SILICONE to glue it back in place. I remember having a neighbor help me lift it back in place after I had applied the silicone. Then I applied about two tubes worth on the top to keep the moisture out. It lasted more than eight years and was still good when I sold it.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Dig out old caulking/sealant with plastic razor blades or other non scratching tool, reseal under and along seam with Nuflex 640 which is a thermoplastic sealant. Reseal the entire front & rear cap up on the roof, the cap corners and all along the entire side roof line (or the crown) where it folds down & around behind the gutter. This is the proper fix per Winnebago callout sheet. Very important not only to prevent leaking but the integrity of the roof & cap.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front cap