Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

Front AC Dead

Just noticed my front AC (non-heat pump) wont start. The thermostat acknowledges it is there, but nothing happens when I turn it on to cool or fan.

Any quick things I should check for before I take it in for endless weeks at the shop? It's a Coleman Mach and I'm heading up there later tonight with a wiggy to see what is going on.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If it's getting 120 v, the culprit could be the start or run capacitor. This is a round or oval 'can' about the size of a can of orange juice concentrate. It stores electricity and gives a 'boost' to the voltage needed to start the compressor motor. They can go bad and need replacing. Caution, they store a lot of energy and you don't want to touch the wires connected to it. Always discharge a capacitor by touching both terminals with an insulated screwdriver before 'messing' with one. If it looks bulged or burned, note the numbers on it and you can pick up one at an RV repair shop or online.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

Super thanks, I'll look for that. I'm going to mess with it at camp tonight.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Does the fan come on when cooling is called for? Another possible issue is the compressor delay relay. Check for burnt indications on the control board and any relays on it.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

No fan at all. Not a sound although if there are relays clicking I may not be hearing it.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Just noticed my front AC (non-heat pump) wont start. The thermostat acknowledges it is there, but nothing happens when I turn it on to cool or fan.

Any quick things I should check for before I take it in for endless weeks at the shop? It's a Coleman Mach and I'm heading up there later tonight with a wiggy to see what is going on.

Check the breaker.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Not only the breaker, if you're on 50 amp service make sure other electrical items on that leg of the 50 amp pedestal are receiving power.

The fan should come on with the fan switch on the thermostat. If it also isn't responding, either you have no power or the control board could be bad in the A/C.

If you're not comfortable with trying repairs yourself, there should be RV A/C repair folks available for a pretty quick repair, not "endless weeks at the shop" like an RV dealer. Use Google to search the area you're in.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

Well I took the cover off and it looked more complicated than I thought. The capacitor had about 10 wires coming out of it, each motor had a couple of blocks on it that I assume are inductive starters? I just didn't dare start sticking a meter in there so I put the cover back on. I have a warranty so I think I'll get a technician.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Perhaps a little late seeing this post, but perhaps as a future aid to others, our Itasca 42QD front A/C dropped out during hot days in northern California. In our case, the thermostat no longer showed the unit available. The system was restored by shutting off the coach 12-volt house buss, waiting 10-seconds, then reactivating the buss. Though your situation sounds different, I thought it a good post to relay this experience as also reported by several other owners. Hope your staying cool.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Supposedly there is a known Resistor failure on the front A/Cs in Freightliner Winnies. The symptom that I had when it failed was the Fan was either on or off with no control of any speed.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #11

Thanks all for the replies and great information.

As it turns out..... My thermostat did continuously show the 3rd unit, and no fan ever started. Evidently some burned wires and a bad control relay in number 3 requiring a new control board.

Now if I can ever get CW to quit fighting over who is going to pay the bill and get the dang thing done! It's been held hostage for the last week waiting to order parts. It would appear the warranty paperwork is still sitting on the finance desk so its not covered, so now sales may have to foot the bill. They should anyway, as I'm sure it never worked to begin with.