Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Freightliner Chassis Recommendations

Looking to have chassis maintenance/repairs done on my 2014 Winnebago Tour 42QD in Iowa. Appreciate any recommendations/reviews of Freightliner dealers who service RV'ers in Iowa. TIA.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Team

A Google search shows a service locator for Freightliner Custom Chassis service centers.

https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-service/

Winnebago, which is very near you, is shown as a FCCCRV Service Center - I don't know if they do that kind of service. But it's worth a call. Also near you in Mason City, Sioux Falls and etc.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Lichtsinn RV in Forest City, IA does a lot of work ... same town as the factory service center ...
Old 04-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I suspect the OP was asking about Freightliner shops who can do engine and general chassis mechanical maintenance like suspension, transmission, etc. I don't think Winnebago dealers, even Lichtsinn do this kind of work.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

David,
You're correct. Think I need a good Freightliner dealer. Thanks !!!
Old 04-15-2020, 04:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Freightliner showed one for RV service in Des Moines

HARRISON TRUCK CENTERS
3601 ADVENTURELAND DRIVE
ALTOONA, IA, United States
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I really liked Harrison freightliner in mason city
Farmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We used Harrison Freightliner in Clear Lake last September when we were in Forest City, Iowa at the Winnebago Factory for some repair service. Nice people.
Beanlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Look for an Oasis Freightliner shop. Their people are trained AT Freightliner.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up Not far from Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojibill View Post
Looking to have chassis maintenance/repairs done on my 2014 Winnebago Tour 42QD in Iowa. Appreciate any recommendations/reviews of Freightliner dealers who service RV'ers in Iowa. TIA.
I just had 1st oil change in new unit since we were heading to the mountains. Scheduled appt with IState in MN. Yes it's a little drive, but they were REALLY GOOD. Tech was ready at the appointment time, his work was clean, he even added air in tires. Easy to get to place, next door to huge fuel stop. I'd go back for sure
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #11

It sounds like you are just hedging your bets with this question since you did not mention what type of maintenance or service you need. ...That's okay. I know you just want the best service for your RV and no one can blame you for thinking that way.

...But after you engage with several RV repair shops you will probably come to these conclusions like I have:

IMO, as a matter of convenience, I think you should search around your own neighborhood for a diesel shops who are willing to work on your RV. I.e., many may not want your 42' RV in their shop.

Alternatively, you might find a mobile mechanic who can work on diesel engines. This not only will be cheaper, it will be more convenient, and the quality of your repairs will be just as good, if not better! ...And you may even form a trusting relationship over time.

If you are worried alignment, you need to find a semi-truck alignment shop who specializes in truck alignment (not Freightliner) and are willing and capable of working with your RV Independent Front Suspension (IFS). Many will not!

Honestly, the only thing you need to do to your Freightliner chassis is to have it lubed; and when it comes to changing your engine oil and tranny fluid... anyone can do that.

For that matter, for a lube, or oil change, you can pass through at Speedee Truck Lube on the road. They just like to charge you "truckers rates" and you know these are 30% higher on the board vs. the corporate discounts the back office has set up with their regular customers. That's whey I usually find a service truck oil change center, with a big enough bay, to change my oil, or I even go to Walmart Super Centers on the road. I just call a head to ask if they will do an oil change if I bring them the right oil filter, and about 40% of them will. Or I just do the oil change or Allison fluid change myself.

Do you know they will try to charge you $450 to change your Allison fluid?

==> IMO, I highly recommend to all: Do your homework. Buy your own parts on Amazon and save money. And where possible, learn how to work on your RV (engine and appliances) even when you pay someone else to do the work for you. And if you are lucky you will find a mobile mechanic in your own neighborhood who will come to you if you have a suitable place to work on your RV? (Ask around at your local Napa Store and they may know someone.)

...But I digress. ...Back to the Chassis issues you may be concerned with

Tires... go to a Les Schwab for Toyo or Truck Tire Shop who is a dealer for Michelins.

In closing, I going to bet you think Freightliner and Cummins are your "gold standards" when it comes to repairs. ...I thought this in the beginning myself, but I soon found out I was wrong!

That said, I am very glad I do own a Freightliner, because I can drive into any Freightliner dealer in the USA/Canada and they will provide me service instead of turning me away, like they may do to Spartan or Workhorse chassis owners.

The truth is most truck shops do not really want to work on your RV, but they will take you money!

For example, the last Freightliner service center I went to in Corpus Christy over charged me and misdiagnosed a low air tank gauge problem. And when I caught them over charging me, that's when they told me they charge $185/Hr for RVs vs. $135/Hr for other semi trucks. So there you go! These type of shops are not the ones you want to go to. Note: In the end the GM gave me my money back, because I proved my case and tough them how they should have diagnosed my VDC problem. However, these type of incidents are few and far between. I have worked with Freightliner, Missoula and had good service when I asked them to replace my IFS steering boots that cracked.

Freightliner "Oasis" Dealers are scattered across the country and are supposed to be RV friendly, but it's more marketing than true RV experience. ...But yes. I would still seek these Oasis repair facilities when traveling on the road over other shops.

Just be prepared for "Bill Packing" and things like 2 hour minimum charges at all these so called "gold standard shops," which makes me sick! ...And Cummins is the worst! ...So don't get me started with Cummins.

You know who has come through for me more than anyone? ...That would be forums like this one and www.IRV2.com ...And local truck repair shop owners who don't have a problem working with RV owners and on RVs.

So you are on your own my friend, but fortunately there are qualified Diesel and Onan mechanics out there. You just need to find them!

In closing, I tried very hard to find out what type of service my Freightliner chassis may need, and and I can tell you that after 115,000 miles the only thing I have had to do to my chassis is to give it a lube. So now I hope you can rest easy knowing you don't need to throw money at your chassis for regular maintenance.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner