Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Drove the MH to the shop and back for service on Monday. Freeway all the way, so no bumpy roads.

That night I put some steaks in the freezer. The next morning they were not frozen and there was condensation in the freezer and my test ice cubes were beginning to thaw. I keep them in a baggie so I can know if the freezer failed when I'm not there.

I noticed that the freezer wasn't closing tight. It looks closed, it clicks, but it has no vacuum effect, and you can open it by pressing your "pinky finger" against the side of the door.

When I push it to lock it, it looks like the lower left side of the door (where the latch is) lifts slightly to get into the notch. But it doesn't hold.

The hinges look tight and level.

Everything was frozen solid before I opened the door to put the steaks in... so I think it "just happened". Can't figure it out....

Any suggestions (other than a trip to the shop)?

Thanks....

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Drove the MH to the shop and back for service on Monday. Freeway all the way, so no bumpy roads.

That night I put some steaks in the freezer. The next morning they were not frozen and there was condensation in the freezer and my test ice cubes were beginning to thaw. I keep them in a baggie so I can know if the freezer failed when I'm not there.

I noticed that the freezer wasn't closing tight. It looks closed, it clicks, but it has no vacuum effect, and you can open it by pressing your "pinky finger" against the side of the door.

When I push it to lock it, it looks like the lower left side of the door (where the latch is) lifts slightly to get into the notch. But it doesn't hold.

The hinges look tight and level.

Everything was frozen solid before I opened the door to put the steaks in... so I think it "just happened". Can't figure it out....

Any suggestions (other than a trip to the shop)?

Thanks....

Our homes on the road
Old 04-27-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You didn't say what type of frig it is but there is a small spring in the latch that could have broke or just come out of retaining slot that holds it, if its a Dometic frig push the pin that the spring is held in an replace in slot or replace spring. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks.... we will try that.

Sorry I didn't mention the make.... since I posted in the Winnebago forum... I thought it wasn't necessary.... It is a Norcold.

Hopefully it is something we can fix quickly... taking the grandkids camping Saturday night. Otherwise it will have to be done when we go to the shop for our recalled catalytic converter that is scheduled for a few weeks from now.

Thanks....

Our homes on the road
Old 04-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The Norcold has a little slide bar that is to be used in winter or no service mode. Its purpose is to hold the door ajar just a fraction for air circulation when not in use. I suspect that is your problem, its been bumped and you will just have to slide it back to the normal use position so it won't bind against the latch.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks.... I'll check that out this afternoon.

Our homes on the road
Old 04-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Not specific to your fridge, but our local handyman on the radio always recommended a hair dryer to heat up the seal and strech it out a bit. Can't really imagine why anything that was new is 2003 would need that, but if the door was closed on something and the seal has taken a set, I could see it helping.

Tim.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Problem solved itself...

When I got to the MH on Friday, checked to be sure the slide bars weren't out... they were in place as should be.

But the freezer was cold again and the vacuum works each time I close the door. Go figure?? The door is a bit too easy to open though and can be opened without using the locking handle. So I'll definately have that checked out.

Of course, I now have lots of condensation ice that needs to be removed.

Our homes on the road
Old 05-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Freeway all the way, so no bumpy roads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I certainly got a chuckle out of that remark! The freeway roads we travel haven't been that great!

Rose
Old 05-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The worst freeway I have driven was last summer on I-10 or I-5 (can't remember which it was) between Pomona, CA and Ventura,CA.... it was like a washboard. Than Hwy 101 north to Monterey was not much better. Lots of new rattles after that trip.

This year, we are taking the bypass route that misses most of the bad LA freeways.

Makes me question my sanity.. we bought this rig so we could travel in comfort!

Our homes on the road