Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Freaking wiper blades

I have a 2009 Winnebago Journey 34y and I have been to Pepboys three times to find wiper blades that fit. The J-hook on the blade arms is too big to fit into any of the 28" replacement blades. The original is made by Dyna but cannot find a model number on the blade to properly buy a new one. In lieu of grinding down the j-hook so it'll fit any new blade, does anyone have any ideas on where to buy one that actually fits. I've heard Wal-Mart might have them or Home Depot. The ones at Costco do not fit.
Kirkian301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

They sound like the same blades on my RV. I have been told that they are Bus wipers.

Dyna 1428.14

Wexco 134280

I bought the Dyna's at Grainger's, very, very costly.

Wexco https://www.amazon.com/Wexco-134280-.../dp/B00ODJ31NC

http://www.unityparts.com/134280-aut...ade-winnebago/

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have found them at some Walmarts but not all.

Bosch Excel Wiper Blade 28 worked for us.

I'll see if I kept a box to find the part number.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Car and trucks (F-150) and the like will use a J-Hook with a width of 9-mm. Larger vehicles like buses, RV's, delivery vans and trucks etc will use a 12-mm wide J-Hook. This is needed because the wipers are longer 28" 32" and up. They need the extra metal width for stiffness.

Typically you will not find those in the usual auto parts stores, Wal-Mart, ect. Sometimes the RV's dealers like Camping World will carry the 12-mm blades.

If you look closely you will find the 9-mm and or 12-mm sizes on the back of most packages. Ask a counter man/gal to look up specs for a blade and it should list the J-Hook 9 or 12-mm.

My theory is simple. I don't really need my entire windshield wiped clean when it's raining. If one uses Rain-X and uses a 24" blade that is more than enough of a clear window to see. If it rains that hard then we are at a rest area.

The 24" or even 26" blades are a lot cheaper and one can even order replacement blades from some of the usual blade makers.

The other problem with the longer blades IMHO is they over tax the wiper system and then they are prone to failure. It's just to much extra (unnecessary) weight to swing back and forth, back and forth. The wiper systems on most MH's are marginal at best.

I had to rebuild our first MH's system from scratch. I actually had to make an adjustable arm because nobody would honor the warranty with a real fix that worked.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Whatever size you choose, those Bosh wipers are the best and longest lasting blades I ever bought.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:05 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

TeJay,

Agree with everything you wrote.

I will be modifying my 12 mm arms with a grinder to 9 mm, buying smaller blades, which I can get anywhere and much more often, and saving $$$ every time, and saving my wiper motor, which seems weak at best for those big blades..

Good Post
Old 02-12-2017, 03:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I wish I could remember what I did but it was a very simple removal of a piece of metal with a Dremel in the wiper arm itself and now I can use any normally avaliable blade of any size I want. I'll see if I can get some pix but it was something that looked like it was in there simply to double the price with zero mechanical advantage.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you

Gentlemen thank you so much for your time and information. I'm going to use the grinder method and purchase the 26" blades. Makes more sense in the long run.
Kirkian301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

There are options other than grinding, but you will still have 28 inch wipers.

Refills are available at NAPA (Post #15)
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/dyna...ml#post2019044

Parts from the original Dana J hook have been transferred to a Bosch blade (Post #6)
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/dyna...ml#post2010637
Old 02-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Great idea dan,

Well gentleman I have been thinking about this for better than a year. Knowing what I've already shared with you regarding the poor quality wiper systems and knowing that cutting back on the amount of weight is a plus for the longevity of the poor system I'm thinking danhannah's idea of the grinder seems about the best and easiest.

It's only 3-mm and if the weight is less the arms strength should not be an issue.

Great idea !! Now if you could send the lawyers in your area a message from me to just follow the U.S. Constitution that would help everybody.

You are correct Wild Bill. I'm of the opinion that a 28" blade is several inches longer than is really necessary for us. Just to much extra weight for the system. Others may not agree but it's just a choice.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170212_134808.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	151669 I have paid between 8 and 11 dollars.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Like to know where you find Bosch for those prices? Pep Boys wants on avg. another $10 over your quote. I can't find even the smallest junk wiper anywhere for $8

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 02-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

8.23 at Walmart.com right now, plus shipping.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

8.10 on Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-41928-E.../dp/B000PL0KEA
Old 02-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Like to know where you find Bosch for those prices? Pep Boys wants on avg. another $10 over your quote. I can't find even the smallest junk wiper anywhere for $8
Don't worry Jeff, as the song goes...."it never rains in California". I've been in AZ for 6 weeks and all we got was one day or so of rain.

I modified my wiper arm several years ago so I could use the (new at the time) Bosch Icon(?). I'm not sure what I did, but I think I had to drill out the riveted
pivot screw and then used a stainless screw & nut.

Back in SoCal now and 2" rain forecasted for this weekend. What?

Happy Trails,
Bill
Old 02-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Wow! Way cheaper than the stores. The pic below is a little close, but I cut the bar on the wiper frame so it would fit the MH mount. Being the standard clip frame I can fit any "normal" replacement blades without frame. The only chance to use them at all in years (thanks to the drought) was coming back from Quartzsite and they were a perfect sweep.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 02-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We have just a little over 20,000 miles on our coach. Last fall we had one bad day or rain and I noticed a slight delay on the right wiper arm coming back to the left side. That slight delay was not there the last time we drove in rain.

In those 20,000 plus miles I sat behind the wheel for about 400 hours based on the engine clock. That's right at 50 miles for every hour of driving. I doubt we have driven 20 hours total in the rain which is about 1,000 miles.

My point is with just about 20 hours on the wiper system it's already showing signs of failure. The systems are made to last. I realize we don't spend a lot of time with them running but when they are needed they are needed.

I'll use some lighter blades to save some weight and maybe increase the life of the system.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Reducing friction (drag) is probably more important than static weight. Either way I think I'll go out with my new $3 jar of Tri-Flo Teflon grease from Quartzsite and make sure the linkage is properly lubed

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 02-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

NOW Winnebago has created the opposite problem for owners in 2016.

Instead of making us 2014 owners look for big J-hook wipers (12mm), which are difficult to find on the road, they have gone to the small (9mm) arms, but increased the length to 32.

It's almost as tough finding a long wiper with a small J hook, as it was finding a short wiper with a big J hook...

Old 02-14-2017, 05:03 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

You can always use shorter blades, you don't even notice the difference. I found the big J hook blades on Amazon but went with the 28" so I can just use the rubber refil.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote