Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

We had an appointment at the factory for some work and asked them to check out the occasional smell of propane. We had already done the soapy water test with negative results on all the usual connections that are visible, but not the brackets. We had also had a drop test done at the stove with negative results.

When the requested work was finished and the rig returned to us, we found out we had a new propane tank which was nearly full (because of the need to test connections), and all at no charge to us. What a nice surprise! We didn't question the "gift" but later found out about the problems with the brackets and figured that was why the gift. The rig was 4.75 years old and definitely out of warranty. Since then we have not noticed any propane smell. Bernie Kofron, 866-311-7133, was the Customer Service Technical Advisor Supervisor at the time, November, 2009.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Also check for the smell coming from your plumbing vent on the roof
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

I had a similar problem with our 2006 35A Voyage. When I emptied the effluent from the gray tank it would pull the water from the p trap for the washing machine. I resolved by adding a p-trap replacement valve in-line with the p-trap. (I could have removed the p trap as well but it was easier to just add it in a vertical position in-line). Since completing the installation, no more foul smell.

In this case the run from the washer p-trap to the tank is very short 1.5" pipe. The run from the tank to the outflow is also short. I suspect when the gray tank reads full the vent line, located at the opposite end of the tank, is partially submerged.

The p trap replacement valve is fairly new and now available from many RV parts suppliers.
AlbertaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSteve View Post
I had a similar problem with our 2006 35A Voyage. When I emptied the effluent from the gray tank it would pull the water from the p trap for the washing machine. I resolved by adding a p-trap replacement valve in-line with the p-trap. (I could have removed the p trap as well but it was easier to just add it in a vertical position in-line). Since completing the installation, no more foul smell.

In this case the run from the washer p-trap to the tank is very short 1.5" pipe. The run from the tank to the outflow is also short. I suspect when the gray tank reads full the vent line, located at the opposite end of the tank, is partially submerged.

The p trap replacement valve is fairly new and now available from many RV parts suppliers.

Great tip.

From time to time when running the washer I get the grey tank smell coming back up.

I will look in to this.

Thanks for the write up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinelender View Post
Heads up Jim....Winnebago had some issues in '03 and (I think) '04 with their propane tanks...the welds on the tank brackets could crack and cause leaking. You should contact Winnebago and see if your RV was part of their recall...if it was then get assurance the recall was done to your unit. (The recall involved new brackets). Good luck
The mechanic called to tel me there is a propane leak at the bracket weld on the tank.
I called Winnebago. The rep told me (this is important) There is NO recall, but I will send you a strap type bracket from an earlier recall. You (the RV shop) will have to order (and pay for) a new tank and a pressure gage, since the old gage will not fit the tank"
I talked to my neighbor (a Harley mechanic) and he looked up some NTSB web site, and he told me that there is Winnebago recall #90. It states that it is for 2004 Winnebago Journey and it says "Dealers will reinstall a cradle style carrier and if necessary, replace the tank".
Now I don't know what to do. I had the propane serviced at a non-Winnebago RV shop and immediately smelled the rotten egg smell. I told them to find and fix the leak.
I should state that I bought this rig used but registered it with Winnebago as a second owner.
Questions
1. What is winnebago's responsibility?
2. Do I have any clout?
3. Does it matter if a Winnebago dealer fixes it or another shop. (I am afraid to drive it). I think it first was noticeable in Michigan but I originally just thought the tank was overfilled and would bleed off. After the tank depleted to about 1/4, the smell went away. When I got home and had the tank filled again, the smell was terrible.
4. Should Winnebago pay for the tank
5. Should Winnebago pay for the required new gage
6. Should Winnebago pay labor
7. Should Winnebago pay for towing if they want it taken to a Winnebago dealer
8. Is it dangerous to drive.
I am scheduled to go to the national rally in 6 days. If it can't be fixed, could I just empty the propane tank, and run my fridge on the genny? Cooking would be out but my DW will be OK with that.
Thanks for your help
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

My limited experience with MH and with the rotten egg smell is it's the gray water. I can tell when the tank is getting full just by the smell. I suggest putting a little fabric softener down your drains and see if it helps. I haven't tried a little bleach down the drains yet but will soon. I believe our smell is not the batteries or the propane because it goes away quickly after dumping the gray, and adding the softener.
frazierdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee View Post
My limited experience with MH and with the rotten egg smell is it's the gray water. I can tell when the tank is getting full just by the smell. I suggest putting a little fabric softener down your drains and see if it helps. I haven't tried a little bleach down the drains yet but will soon. I believe our smell is not the batteries or the propane because it goes away quickly after dumping the gray, and adding the softener.
Thanks for the info. I always drain and clean both tanks at our last stop before going home. I put Calgone and Dawn in both tanks and fill about half full. Driving makes the mixture slosh around and "clean" the tank. There is a Flying J about 5 miles from the pole barn where the MH is stored. I stop at FJ, fill the fuel tank, dump, and clean the tanks out. I never really have had trouble with tanks. When this first happened, I suspected tanks and cleaned each tank twice with soap, bleach, vinegar and baking soda (not all at once, different mixtures).
It is definitely leaking from the weld on the the propane tank. I know what the fix is: New tank, new band bracket (straps holding the tank as opposed to welded brackets), plus a new pressure gage, since the old gage will not fit the new tank. The question now is "who pays for Winnebago's error. If it's normal wear and tear, I knew going into an RV, that i would have expenses. If it is a Winnebago error and there is a safety recall, then I think Winnebago should pay for it. That is why I am talking to people with experience to get advice. I'm guessing with a new tank, gage, mounting strap, filing the old tank, filling the new tank, and labor, this will be a grand or so.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Now I am pretty sure that I am getting jerked around. Winabago tells me the coach was built in 10/03, after the recall date XXX to 09/17/03. I called Lichtsinn Motors to order a new tank and they told me the coach was built on 09/15/03, two days before the end of the recall date. I checked the MFGR plate next to the drivers seat and it reads built 09/03. I think my coach just fell through the cracks, since I undoubtedly got a propane tank that was destined to fail and start leaking at the welds. Not sure what recourse I have.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Motorhome magazine hotline

Since it is a safety issue you likely want to pay to get it fixed so you can enjoy your rig. Then maybe try writing to the Motorhome Magazine Hotline column. They advocate for users such as yourself with service providers and manufacturers. You have to have all your ducks in a row but they do seem to have some success getting results for people.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 04V114000
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): ITASCA / HORIZON 2000-2004
ITASCA / MERIDIAN 2000-2004
WINNEBAGO / JOURNEY2000-2004
Manufacturer: WINNEBAGO INDUSTRIES, INC.Mfr's Report Date: FEB 20, 2004NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 04V114000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE:LPG TANK ASSEMBLYPotential Number of Units Affected: 5,143Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORHOMES, THE LP TANK HAS STRESS ON WELD JOINTS AT THE POINT WHERE MOUNTING BRACKETS ARE WELDED TO THE TANK.Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE STRESS CRACKS AT THE WELD JOINTS AND LEAD TO AN LP LEAK AND CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY AND/OR VEHICLE DAMAGE.Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REINSTALL A CRADLE-STYLE CARRIER, AND, IF NECESSARY REPLACE THE LP TANK. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 25, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT WINNEBAGO AT 641-585-6939.Notes:
WINNEBAGO RECALL NO. 90. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM3760468/RCONL-04V114-4102.pdf

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM3760535/RCRIT-04V114-9866.pdf

Strange everything is done by date & not VIN.

If you bought the Journey from a dealer, it would be his responsibility to ensure all recalls were handled.

Heck it is 9 years old, surprized it took so long to leak. You must keep it clean & drive smooth.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #31

Its the batteries. We had it and replaced them with self contained model. When the water boils away, they emit a gas that smells like rotten eggs.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 04V114000
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): ITASCA / HORIZON 2000-2004
ITASCA / MERIDIAN 2000-2004
WINNEBAGO / JOURNEY2000-2004
Manufacturer: WINNEBAGO INDUSTRIES, INC.Mfr's Report Date: FEB 20, 2004NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 04V114000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE:LPG TANK ASSEMBLYPotential Number of Units Affected: 5,143Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORHOMES, THE LP TANK HAS STRESS ON WELD JOINTS AT THE POINT WHERE MOUNTING BRACKETS ARE WELDED TO THE TANK.Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE STRESS CRACKS AT THE WELD JOINTS AND LEAD TO AN LP LEAK AND CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY AND/OR VEHICLE DAMAGE.Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REINSTALL A CRADLE-STYLE CARRIER, AND, IF NECESSARY REPLACE THE LP TANK. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 25, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT WINNEBAGO AT 641-585-6939.Notes:
WINNEBAGO RECALL NO. 90. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM3760468/RCONL-04V114-4102.pdf

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM3760535/RCRIT-04V114-9866.pdf

Strange everything is done by date & not VIN.

If you bought the Journey from a dealer, it would be his responsibility to ensure all recalls were handled.

Heck it is 9 years old, surprized it took so long to leak. You must keep it clean & drive smooth.
We bought it used from a widow (my wife's friend). Her husband bought it new and she didn't want to sell it. Her kids talked her into it and she sold it to my wife. It sat in a pole barn for a few years. I suspect that it has been leaking for a while. We would smell something, and have it checked. We were told there were no leaks, probably overfilled, went from cold to hot, blah blah, blah. The last time I had the tank filled it was so bad, we smelled it immediately and I was afraid to drive it. I left it at the RV place. They found out about the recall and checked the brackets. Sure enough, the weld was leaking. Winnebago tells me the MH was built in 10/03 and not part of the recall which ended 09/03. The data plate inside the vehicle is clearly stamped 09/03. It's obvious that my coach fell thorugh the cracks (no pun intended) and got a bad tank that was destined to leak at the weld. There records say 10/03, my coach data plate says 09/03. Go figure.