Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Floor wax on roof and sides ?

Anyone use zep or other high traffic/wet look floor wax on roof or sides ?

read a few yrs back that zep high traffic wax would really gloss up dull fiberglass or even metal on siding on rvs - was discovered by boaters vs the very pricey gel coat wax many were using $50 vs $17 for gallon - i ASSume it will take several gallons.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-1-Ga...F128/202860171

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-5-Ga...FF5G/202860177

OR ?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-1-Ga...F128/202859659

the process is to remove all waxes and clean well, ppl have gotten mixed results on things that were waxed like metal basement doors or such - so CLEAN wax free is key!, of course let dry, then you apply 2 coats using a standard sponge/foam kitchen mop just like floor, obviously let dry between coats, of course just like floor - smooth thin layers is bestest.

then supposedly 1 coat per yr or even every 2 yrs - obviously i guess depends on environment in - rain/heat/sun/sand/etc.

i believe it is the high traffic formula that makes it last longer than other floor waxes.

So has anyone used and what was your result and impression of gloss and work amount ???

ps: it is my idea to use on my fiberglass roof - it likely needs resurfacing on a 2007 voyage don't you think ?!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I used it on my fiberglass roof looked great for about 2 year now it needs to be redone starting to flake, I also did a cabover camper with fiberslass sides camper looked new sold it so i dont know how it lasted,a gallon will do all you want also used on the floor in mh still looking good. Zeps
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Our experience is much like Cataska's. Having been enticed by many videos, and tired of white streaks following (rare) rains, we sprung for a gallon of High Traffic Zep.

We scrubbed the roof with dish soap and a deckbrush, rinsed mopped well and applied four coats of Zep. Took about a half gallon. Beautiful! Spit shine perfect!

Three years later, didn't noticed any flaking, but streaking returned and there just wasn't any Zep up there.

Started to re-Zep, but decided to try the Dicor Fiberglass coating system. My son and I applied the Dicor two weeks ago. Not any harder than the Zep, but several times more expensive. Hoping it lasts longer. We'll see.

Considered using a boat type epoxy coating from WestMarine or similar. Applied those when we owned our series of Catalina sailboats. Also hugely expensive. And not much longer life than the Zep. (No, I don't suggest Zep for boat sides.)

There are those that opine the roof is fiberglas and needs no more maintenance than a good washing periodically. Those folks and I view the world through different lenses.

Lot of blah, blah, blah there, but if SWMBO didn't yell at me like I was a red headed stepchild every time she catches me on the roof, I would just re-Zep the roof every year or so.

Having said that, I am not adventurous enough to use Zep on our well maintained sides. (my buffer and I can reach those).

But we did apply four coats of Zep to our wall to wall vinyl flooring. It wears like iron and looks like (clean) glass. And, not a slippery as the un-coated no wax vinyl. We still have about a pint of our gallon of Zep.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSimon View Post
Anyone use zep or other high traffic/wet look floor wax on roof or sides ?

read a few yrs back that zep high traffic wax would really gloss up dull fiberglass or even metal on siding on rvs - was discovered by boaters vs the very pricey gel coat wax many were using $50 vs $17 for gallon - i ASSume it will take several gallons.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-1-Ga...F128/202860171

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-5-Ga...FF5G/202860177

OR ?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-1-Ga...F128/202859659

the process is to remove all waxes and clean well, ppl have gotten mixed results on things that were waxed like metal basement doors or such - so CLEAN wax free is key!, of course let dry, then you apply 2 coats using a standard sponge/foam kitchen mop just like floor, obviously let dry between coats, of course just like floor - smooth thin layers is bestest.

then supposedly 1 coat per yr or even every 2 yrs - obviously i guess depends on environment in - rain/heat/sun/sand/etc.

i believe it is the high traffic formula that makes it last longer than other floor waxes.

So has anyone used and what was your result and impression of gloss and work amount ???

ps: it is my idea to use on my fiberglass roof - it likely needs resurfacing on a 2007 voyage don't you think ?!
Hmm, I think I’d prefer to use a product specifically designed, from a company like P&S who has a Babe’s boat devision and products specifically for fiberglass.

And on a roof? Jeez, you don’t want a slick surface up there...
Old 09-05-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Over on the sibling forum IRV2 there are a bunch of posts on Zep. Many love it and swear by it, many have had good initial results but had issues with yellowing and flaking over time from UV exposure, which resulted in having to manually remove the Zep (Aka scrub it off) and start over.

It’s a mixed bag, for every post saying they loved it and would do again in a heartbeat, usually someone counters with their tale of why they wouldn’t.

I haven’t tried it myself, fearing the manual removal down the road. I’ve had good luck with Mcguirers boat waxes, it’s a solid 1/2 day to apply but usually holds up for the season well. Relatively speaking boat wax is designed for fiberglass and constant water immersion, a Rv wall isn’t too different despite the added paint.

For the roof, I don’t wax mine, it’s slippery enough as it is. I do wash it once a month, or after a trip if were in “Pine Tree Country” which is common in the Adirondacks nearby,
Old 09-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I know nothing about "Zep," but I'm hesitant to use anything with mixed reviews. I do know that a good fiberglass boat wax (Meguires Flagship is the best, in multiple comparison tests), will never do you wrong. Do NOT use automotive wax. Why? Marine wax leaves behind 8x as thick of a finished film as automotive wax. Fiberglass is porous. Lacquered metal is not.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Poliglow works well

I have used it for years. (it brought my 1994 Intruder back to life) Clean off the oxidation and apply 6 to 10 coats with a microfiber glove and it looks like new. It lasts about a year. It is a day long job up and down the ladder. I think it beats the heck out of wax.
2017 Brown Nose Vista 29VE
Westy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have used the Zep on the roof of our view. Seems to be holding up fairly well. It is similar to "Polyglow" which is a similar product made for RV/boats--acts the same way, yellows in a few years, needs to be applied several coats yearly. If you don't like the ZEP it is easy (and cheap) to remove with the ZEP stripper.
I h
I have tried all sorts of materials on my boats. I am experimenting with one side the ZEP this year--the other side several more conventional materials. So far the ZEP is winning....Granted I know that it has to be kept up--as does any product.

As for the slipperiness. So is wax. You should not be walking on any of these roofs-the fiberglass is very thin. I am on my knees if I am up there, trying to distribute my weight out with a closed cell 1 1/2" thick foam pad.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof