Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2008, 01:43 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Another fix (although temporary) is to have a glass company drill a small hole on the inside glass that is fogged. It will shatter in a zillion pieces so tape first. Remove the inside broken glass, clean the outside one and altho you only have a single pane at least its not fogged.

Good Luck and Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Guy's, I don't have a problem posting the pictures, but the pictures really don't do the job justice, without the words and commentary.

I've prepared a 13 page, 4mb, "How to" that I am willing to provide anyone. Ideally, if someone has a website that can host it, I'll be happy to provide it. Thus far I have been providing it to anyone who asks, and have sent it out to about a dozen folks. I hope it has been of value. Otherwise my only other thought was to try and post it one page at a time in photos like the guy on the Excel owners forum.

Thoughts ??
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

I continue to read about the lousy dual pane windows fogging up that Atwood made for Winnebago. It cost me $1500.00 to have mine replaced and that is with free installation by Winnebago. NHTSA should have forced a re-call on these windows as they are a serious safety hazard. After all if you can't see clearly into your mirror, you are not safe on the road. Atwood is making a bundle selling replacements for their defective window units. Rant over for now.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I called Lichtsinn Motors who I believe is a sponsor for the IRV2 website. They will supply the trapezoidal window in front of the driver's door on our 2000 Itasca 35U for $86.60 plus shipping for the glass only. This is a far cry from $1500, and it will be interesting to see exactly how the thing goes together. Anyway, for $1400 I am certainly willing to learn. Lichtsinn is currently out-of-stock, so it will be about 4 more weeks to get the glass, but I hope to have figured out how to install it in that time. It is interesting how the fogging waxes and wanes with the weather.
Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Dirk: I sure hope you follow this post up. I sure paid a lot more than that. I have the invoices from ATWOOD. My local glass company also bid $1500.00 for the same two trapezoidal windows, plus they ask $1500.00 to install them. We have essentially the same coach. You found a heck of a deal.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho Homer and Mike: Actually it is due to this forum that I was able to ask for glass only. And wouldn't you know it, 20 minutes after my post the doorbell rang and UPS had the glass for me. It was drop-shipped direct from WI. Lichsinn Motors was about 4 weeks earlier than their estimate. Mike if you read this, please send the write-up to my email at [email protected] and I will start tomorrow on the replacement. Thanks.
Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Dirk,

I'll send it out tonight. Good luck !
Old 06-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Dirk, let us know how you make out. I couldn't figure out how to replace the glass. plus my unit (frame) was leaking. Good luck.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

These are on my list to do also so I am interested in the results too.

Just had it out with my insurance and warranty company on this and unless the glass is broken there is no coverage even if it is an extreme saftey hazard. On this one I agree there should be intervention by the NHTSA and a recall.

Keep us informed of the progess and please post pictures showing details if you can.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Do you suppose that you could email me the instructions, too, Mike? My email is [email protected] I am very anxious to find out the details on the DIY job. Just last week while driving, my husband said that we have got to do something about those windows. I know that my husband would choose to replace/fix them himself if he had instructions. Both of our side windows have been gradually getting worse, but starting during our last trip, the passenger mirror became absolutely useless because of the window fogging. Thanks so much for this thread and for being willing to share your successful project!

~Lori
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Got it! Thanks so much, Mike!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Mike, would you mind emailing me the instructions also ---- my email addy is [email protected]. I really appreciate your putting something like this together. I have two windows to replace -- one on the driver's side and the glass in the door on the passenger side.

Thanks in advance for you help
Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I know this is very tedious for you, but can you send your document to us at [email protected]? Thank you.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

David / Janet,

I sent it out this morning. Good Luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

Mike
Old 06-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Mike,
I'd certainly appreciate a copy of your DIY window repair procedure. What a mess my windows are. Mail to [email protected]

Thanks.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:10 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Hi Mike,

Would you please send me your instructions?
My e-mail is [email protected]

Thank you in advance.

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #37
KIX
Winnebago Master

Mike,
I too would lke a copy. Please send to [email protected] Thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #38
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike in Florida:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike In Florida, Regarding not having permission to upload pictures.... The Photo Gallery requires a 2nd LOGIN. I did not find any pictures from you in the Photo Gallery. Once you login you will be able to upload pictures and once approved by one of the Moderators they will become available on the website. It can take up to a few hours to get your pictures approved.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

DriVer....

Is there a possibility that Mike could email the document to you or another Admin or Moderator to somehow be placed on the site? His photos would not make sense alone in the photo gallery without the detailed, written text and photo captions. He's done a remarkable job with the instructions, and it would be great if it could be posted in it's entirety so that he won't have to keep emailing it out to so many ppl. I hope that I didn't overstep my bounds by asking this, Mike. If so, I apologize.

~Lori
Old 07-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #40
JVG
Winnebago Camper

Mike,

I am getting ready to replace my thermopane windows in my 2001 Itasca Suncruiser 35U. I have a question to ask you. What did you use and how did you break the window frame loose from the sidewall? Is there a special tool to purchase or just use something that i would have. I purchased the glass for both the passengers and the drivers side fixed windows.. Anty help would be appreciated. Do you have any pictures on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

JVG
[email protected]
JVG is offline   Reply With Quote