Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fix or replace Kwikee steps

Hi all,

Yesterday while setting up on a boondocking site, I open the door and the steps extended but not all the way. They would not lock in the extended position so I climbed under the coach and found that the arms that attached to the long bar had snapped off (see picture). I am not sure, based on the rust, that they could be welded back together.

I have the part number and serial number but am having a hard time finding a replacement # if I need to go that route. So, two questions... has anyone welded this part back together and if not, what would be a good replacement part number for the steps (picture of part # attached)?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwikee broken.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	102513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwikee part#.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	102514  

Old 08-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Check with Lippert Components. I have gotten similar parts from them. I believe they bought Kwikee.

Coach Step
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Can't tell by the picture if the broken end is bolted on or welded on.
A good welder could probably weld it back together.

But it depends on how it is mounted on if he needs to do it on the MH or you can take the broken parts to him.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Hi all,

Yesterday while setting up on a boondocking site, I open the door and the steps extended but not all the way. They would not lock in the extended position so I climbed under the coach and found that the arms that attached to the long bar had snapped off (see picture). I am not sure, based on the rust, that they could be welded back together.

I have the part number and serial number but am having a hard time finding a replacement # if I need to go that route. So, two questions... has anyone welded this part back together and if not, what would be a good replacement part number for the steps (picture of part # attached)?

Thanks
osgoor,
Well Sir, based on the clarity of the picture, it looks like a lousy joint anyway. I don't know where you are right now but, if you were near us, I'd weld that up for you in a heartbeat and, make a much better and, more reliable joint. That's easily repairable. The problem is, you're way out where you are and, you might not be near a competent welder/fab shop. To remove that section and, any broken pieces from the operator mechanism is cake.

It's finding a good shop that won't charge you an arm and leg for an easy repair like that, that's the hard part. . I've done a zillion repairs like that. Sorry I can't help from a distance.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Since the motor still operates, do like I did. Went to the local Campers Inn that had the linkage in stock. $78.81 out the door. Took about 25 minutes to install. Works like new.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
Since the motor still operates, do like I did. Went to the local Campers Inn that had the linkage in stock. $78.81 out the door. Took about 25 minutes to install. Works like new.
bailiff,
Just wondering, are you talking about the linkage from the motor drive to the broken arm in the picture or, are you talking about the entire rotating axle that the broken arm is/was welded to? Since some of the items in his picture are completely different from my two-step Kwikee Step system (I have no visible outside gears) and, I do not have an adjustable tie-rod with heim joints as he does, I can only assume that the rest of the step mechanism is close to our design.

And that is, the actuating arm that you see is broken in his picture, is part of the entire step mechanism. On our coach at least, you'd have grind off some pivot rivets and disconnect other parts in order to get that axle out of there. I'm pretty handy and I have no doubt that if I had to do that on our rig, it would take a heck of a lot longer than 25 minutes.

What you see below is a picture of ours, which is basically the same operating system only I think ours is maybe newer. It has TWO welded actuating arms welded to the axle.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040396.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	102556  
Old 08-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The long bar that the linkage connects to is where the weld snapped. I have looked at one end and I see what looks like a cotter pin but the whole end is covered with some kind of protective cover. Do you or anyone else think the bar can be removed? If so, I can try to replace just that part.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The linkage is still good but the arms on the long rotating bar that the linkage connects to is where the break is.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
osgoor,
Well Sir, based on the clarity of the picture, it looks like a lousy joint anyway. I don't know where you are right now but, if you were near us, I'd weld that up for you in a heartbeat and, make a much better and, more reliable joint. That's easily repairable. The problem is, you're way out where you are and, you might not be near a competent welder/fab shop. To remove that section and, any broken pieces from the operator mechanism is cake.

It's finding a good shop that won't charge you an arm and leg for an easy repair like that, that's the hard part. . I've done a zillion repairs like that. Sorry I can't help from a distance.
Scott
Thanks for the offer. I am currently in Massachusetts but am heading towards Minnesota next week. Where are you?
Old 08-09-2015, 04:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
bailiff,
Just wondering, are you talking about the linkage from the motor drive to the broken arm in the picture or, are you talking about the entire rotating axle that the broken arm is/was welded to? Since some of the items in his picture are completely different from my two-step Kwikee Step system (I have no visible outside gears) and, I do not have an adjustable tie-rod with heim joints as he does, I can only assume that the rest of the step mechanism is close to our design.

And that is, the actuating arm that you see is broken in his picture, is part of the entire step mechanism. On our coach at least, you'd have grind off some pivot rivets and disconnect other parts in order to get that axle out of there. I'm pretty handy and I have no doubt that if I had to do that on our rig, it would take a heck of a lot longer than 25 minutes.

What you see below is a picture of ours, which is basically the same operating system only I think ours is maybe newer. It has TWO welded actuating arms welded to the axle.
Scott
Scott, I have circled the place where mine is broken. The arrow is the specific point where one is broken through. The other one is cracked.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Thanks for the offer. I am currently in Massachusetts but am heading towards Minnesota next week. Where are you?
osgoor,
Laughing seriously. Massachusetts huh? Well, I'm waaaaay down here in Lake Havasu City AZ. Jussssssssssssst a bit out of your way. And yes, I knew where yours was broken. In my semi-professional welding opinion, you could get that fixed, RIGHT ON THE COACH, with an experienced mobile welding shop. All you'd have to do is, use your jacks and a few blocks to get that rig up as high (and of course safely) as possible. Then a guy could easily re-weld that broken section, good enough to last you for your trip.

He (or she if that's who showed up) would just pull the truck up semi-close to those steps and, string out the welding leads and, go to work. That fix, would most likely take the better part of 5-10 minutes to re-weld. All you'd do is, disconnect the linkage to get it out of the way and, pin the steps up so they would stay in the extended position. Now, he's ready to weld. Done! If they knew what they were doing, (which I assume would be the case 'cause they have a mobile welding business) they would take all the precautions for welding on a coach and, protecting surrounding areas from heat damage. No biggie.

This operation of a mobile welder might cost you a few bucks. But, the good part, you do NOTHING. All you do is sit there and watch.

Then, when you return home, take your time, remove what you have to remove and, go get it either correctly repaired or, replaced, which ever you'd choose at the time.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Fix or replace Kwikee steps

Quote:
bailiff,

Scott

The linkage I am talking about is the curved part and associated linkage that attaches to the gear drive and the step itself. Linkage Assembly Kit F9502. I don't know for sure if that part number is a kwikee number but I believe it is.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439165165.106740.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	102682. This was just under $70 at Campers Inn.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Seems like I read somewhere not to weld on the RV without disconnecting batteries - I don't remember when or where I read that, or if it is true. I think there may be a concern about the electronics. Might be worth asking freightliner or Winnebago if ark welding is planned.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The linkage I am talking about is the curved part and associated linkage that attaches to the gear drive and the step itself. Linkage Assembly Kit F9502. I don't know for sure if that part number is a kwikee number but I believe it is.Attachment 102682. This was just under $70 at Campers Inn.
baliff,
That's what I thought you were talking about. As you can see, he does not have that same kind of linkage and, that is not what's broken anyways. His motor-connect linkage is straight with a portion of it, adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Seems like I read somewhere not to weld on the RV without disconnecting batteries - I don't remember when or where I read that, or if it is true. I think there may be a concern about the electronics. Might be worth asking freightliner or Winnebago if ark welding is planned.
Hey Ciderdog,

Yep, you are most certainly correct in stating that the electronic circuitry has to be protected when any welding of a chassis is done. That's an easy issue to take care of. All that needs to be done in all reality is, disconnect the negative battery cables from both the house and, chassis batteries to the frame. And, if a welder knows what their doing, you place the ground lead as close as possible to the work that has to be welded. That will take care of any spikes that can potentially do damage. I've done it many many times.

While on the FD, and we had broken or cracked sections of frames or sub frames, we just quickly disconnected all battery grounds and, that was all that was needed. Never had any electrical problems in any electrical circuits after any welding was done, in the 30 years I assisted in repairs of fire trucks.
Scott
Old 08-10-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The linkage I am talking about is the curved part and associated linkage that attaches to the gear drive and the step itself. Linkage Assembly Kit F9502. I don't know for sure if that part number is a kwikee number but I believe it is.Attachment 102682. This was just under $70 at Campers Inn.
Thanks for the reply... this is not the part that broke. The linkage attaches between two arms that are welded onto a long shaft that runs parallel to the step.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Thanks for the tip. I will make sure we are disconnected if welding happens
Old 08-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
when I had a professional weld a broken bracket on my generator rack support, he used an welding isolator which he connect across my battery terminals. he knew what to do and I did not have to tell him. this way all your clocks, setting etc will stay in place without disconnecting the batteries.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Just out of interest, have you been lubing your steps and arms w/ the KwikLube the manual recommends?

I didn't even know I had to do this at all. Seeing as how my coach is new I was reading all the manuals. I read about the KwikLube and promptly ordered 2 cans of it. I'll be spraying everything before I head out again.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Do you have any info on ordering the lube, address, phone, etc.?
Old 08-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Do you have any info on ordering the lube, address, phone, etc.?
Search on Amazon for 'Kwiklube' and you'll find it.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, kwikee, replace, steps