Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

First time out in our 2003 Minnie

This weekend we took our new to us 2003 31' Minnie camping. Overall we are very happy but had some concerns/questions that I am sure are just us being new to RV's.

1. Can we stabilize it when camped? When people are moving around the cabin or even wind, the RV rocks and everyone can feel it. Would scissor jacks work? where would they go?

2. Reducing odor from the black water tanks, we emptied the tank and after that there was an unpleasant odor. It eventually went away. What step am I missing? How much water should we put into the toilet after dumping?

3. We emptied the grey water tank as well after it got full but it seemed to fill up pretty quick the next day. Without a lot of usage. Is it possible it didn't empty correctly or fully?

4. Our RV is plugged into 15Amp service so the fridge is always on, but the first night it seemed to not keep things cold, the next morning it worked well. It was 100 degrees so I wonder if that is the factor?

5. It seems like it would be very convenient have the an exterior propane connection to be able to hook up to a stove outside. Is that reasonable and/or possible?

6. The exterior water for the outside shower only has hot water, the cold water doesn't seem to work there. I assume it should have both working.

Sorry for so many questions/comments.

Dave
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Mashmaster, I know they make stabilizers that go under your frame and help stabilize. Not sure how well they work. I use stands similar to jack stands at each frame corner and they help.
Black tank odor could be a clogged vent pipe or maybe a deodorizer is needed. As far as your grey water, not sure of your shower/ dishwashing/ sink use or tank capacity or plumbing configuration. In my Minnie for some reason, only the shower drains into the grey tank. Yes, it's possible it wasn't completely drained.
I know our fridge takes about 10 hours to get to usable temp so we leave it on overnight before leaving on a trip. Also, make sure the door is closed tightly it's amazing how fast they lose the cold air.
There are kits made to add a propane connection to your rv tank. I don't have one but there are many out there.
Not sure why your cold water isn't working on your outside shower. Maybe previous owner disconnected for some reason or a pinched water line? I know we bought our 2001 Minnie Winnie 427P used and I had to spend a bit of time undoing the previous owners " improvements".
Hope some of this info helps. -- also Dave
Slinky57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

1) Yes you can use scissor jacks to stabilize. As for where they would go can not help other than I would have a weld shop weld them to the frame. Behind the wheels.

2) After dumping you can put some type of oder fighter in the tank. I have used the commercial product you can buy almost anywhere. I also do what is called GEO method which is one part Dawn dish soap to one part Calgon.

3)Yes get a clear plastic elbow to watch as the tanks are emptied. This will help with knowing things are empty plus when doing the black tank after flushing you can see the clean water come out.
In my past coach the bath sink was plumbed into the black tank, this made the tank fill very fast. Go to Winnebago plumbing to find how yours is plumbed
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

4)Outside temp does play a large part in the frig. temp.

5) Yes, I have not done it but my past rig had propane connection for outside grill. I used it often. If not good with propane make sure you get a professional to make the connections for you.

6) The outside faucets are really cheap. Make sure that when you turn the handle you are also turning the stem. I know my handle sometimes slips and the stem does not turn.

Never be sorry for the questions asked. We all have been there one time or another. Although some will never say that.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
This weekend we took our new to us 2003 31' Minnie camping. Overall we are very happy but had some concerns/questions that I am sure are just us being new to RV's.

1. Can we stabilize it when camped? When people are moving around the cabin or even wind, the RV rocks and everyone can feel it. Would scissor jacks work? where would they go?

2. Reducing odor from the black water tanks, we emptied the tank and after that there was an unpleasant odor. It eventually went away. What step am I missing? How much water should we put into the toilet after dumping?

3. We emptied the grey water tank as well after it got full but it seemed to fill up pretty quick the next day. Without a lot of usage. Is it possible it didn't empty correctly or fully?

4. Our RV is plugged into 15Amp service so the fridge is always on, but the first night it seemed to not keep things cold, the next morning it worked well. It was 100 degrees so I wonder if that is the factor?

5. It seems like it would be very convenient have the an exterior propane connection to be able to hook up to a stove outside. Is that reasonable and/or possible?

6. The exterior water for the outside shower only has hot water, the cold water doesn't seem to work there. I assume it should have both working.

Sorry for so many questions/comments.

Dave
Thanks for the responses y'all. We have been camping a lot since that first trip and made several mods. We feel like we are getting the hang of this.

1) We had scissor jacks installed back by the spare tire on the frame. They also sold us a couple of manual stand jacks to put on the frame by the door. The scissor jacks make somewhat of a difference. Not huge though. I see that the new version of Minnie's have jacks that come out on the corners diagonal to the coach. I think those might make a bigger difference. But I am doubtful much will truly help.

2) After that first trip we haven't had this issue. I think maybe because we have been taking "Minnie" out each month.

3) We have learned to reduce the amount of water we use. We also now do our dishes the three bucket method I teach my scouts outside. That works really well with three collapsible tubs.

4) I really can't explain what happened with the fridge that first time but it has been working well since, nothing changed.

5) I added an extenda-stay connection and we love using it for our camp stove and small bbq. I might look to see if I can figure out how to make it work for a propane campfire.

6) I found there was a valve under the mattress.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote