Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #21
I helped | retired moderator

It doesn't look like you're pasting the URL in the image box and clicking OK.

It's the green and white box to the right of the envelope.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I have been watching your posts on this. I got the picture, that is scary.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeeperrmartin:
I have been watching your posts on this. I got the picture, that is scary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking the same thing. They better take care of it. The people who designed it were sleeping on the job.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

I agree it's scary and it sounds like they've been seeing it on other coaches if they have instituded a design change on new coaches to eliminate the use of laminated wood in that application. I'm pretty sure that (when I get it back to the dealer in April) they will take a look at the fireplace and say it is working fine and they will just replace the discolored piece of wood trim and call it fixed. However, before I start using it again, I plan to do some design modifications of my own by remounting the fireplace on some sort of heat proof wall base which will both insulate the wood from the heat and at the same time move the Fireplace two or three inches toward the center of the coach so the rising heat will be well in front of the TV mounted right above it. I may also need to add some sort of a small heat deflector to help route the hot air a bit more horizontally into the room rather than letting it rise straight up.

I'll let everyone know what happens with the dealer and post pictures of mods I eventually perform.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

RickO: You might consider adding a small mantle (3in. or so) with either alum. or stainless sheet on the underside to reflect some of the heat.
I've considered doing it solely for the appearance but after seeing your pictures maybe I'll do it anyway.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Ok, it's been a long time coming but here's the resolution from Winnie. We've been in our brick house since May and the coach has been at the dealer all this time... a mutual agreement since we weren't going to need it and they had a lot of work to do on it.

Bottom line is that Winnie has seen this many times before and has instituted a design change to address it. It seems that they used a laminated piece of trim right above the fireplace instead of solid wood. Depending on the local humidity conditions, the heat would sometimes cause the charring of the laminate trim. They refused to replace the fireplace and assured me that this would remidy the problem. I'm about to hit the road again so I'm going to keep a close eye on it and probably do some mods as well since I'm replacing the 27" Sony CRT TV with a 32" LCD and will be in there cutting anyway.

I'll update the post if I see any hint of a problem going forward.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote