Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2023, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fibreglass roof blemish

My 2013 Winnebago Adventurer one piece fibreglass roof has a blemish that is about a foot long and 3 to 4 inches wide where it appears that part of the roof is seperating. No leak at all but was wondering if there is a method of attaching it back down. I was thinking iron or heat gun etc. I've attached a picture of the problem area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adventurer Roof.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	186267  
briggzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Your roof is out of warranty at 10 years (If you are the original owner and have documented roof inspections 2-times a year).

In the past, Winnebago has advised that bubbles are not an issue. I don't know about one that large. I have two bubble shapped bulges on my roof.

Do you know if a previous owner did anything to anchor down the roof at the drip rail? Because if they did than chassis flex could cause that. In fact, even if they didn't chassis flex could certainly be the cause.

Now... what to do about it? I don't have a suggestion to offer. Perhaps send the photo to Winnebago Customer Service and ask what they suggest.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank for the info, I'll contact Winnebago to see if they have a suggestion.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again for your suggestion to contact Winnebago Customer Service. They were very responsive and following is their advice.
Quote:
The adhesive loosened, causing the fiberglass to lift slightly in this area. This is a cosmetic issue which will not affect the integrity of the roof. If you decide to repair this area, it would require bodywork & painting. My suggestion is to monitor it occasionally if any cracks were to appear they would need to be sealed to eliminate water intrusion
Old 06-09-2023, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Team

That is basically what I've heard other's say.

Some have said they were going to use a syringe to inject a thin adhesive and a roller to reattach the Filon to the Luan underneath. I've not heard back from anyone if that works or not.

Here's the bubbles on my 2017 Adventurer's roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3513.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	186274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3515.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	186275  

Old 06-15-2023, 12:37 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

"Cosmetic issue" my butt.

Translation: "It is unlikely to completely fail during the warranty period, so we're not too worried. And you can always put some dicor over any cracks that appear. Resale value? Yer on your own..."
Old 06-16-2023, 07:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Is that area soft and the "bubble" squishy?

Is there any corresponding water marks on the ceiling inside the MH? Being that close to that roof vent, I'd closely inspect around that vent for any signs of an opening where water can enter, and reseal if necessary.
Winnebago and most other RV mfgrs. use water-soluble glue.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof