Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fiberglass stress crack?

Good afternoon! I am new to the group and thanks for admitting me. I have a 2006 Class C Winnebago Outlook 31C. I purchased this unit used about a year ago. Today I discovered what appears to be a vertical fiberglass stress fracture on the outside on the driver's side between the slide and the bedroom window. It appears the crack is on one of the aluminum ribs and is about 1.5 ft in length. It is in the middle of the side and does not start at the roof nor end at a storage compartment. It is just in the middle of the side. I am attaching 2 pictures and would like to know if this has happened to anyone else and what do I do to get it repaired? I am afraid of the crack getting longer and deeper. Thanks so much!
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Crack 1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	172813   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Crack 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	172814  

Dr. Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi - By any chance do you see that wall flex/move in the crack area when someone operates the slide in or out ? you can put your hand on the crack to and feel when the slide operates. I'd put some clear tape over the crack to prevent moisture from getting in for now until you can confirm if it's an anomaly or structure before you repair.

Check inside also (if you can)
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sidewall stress crack

Thanks for your reply. I will see what happens to the crack when I put the slide out. I had not thought about that since the crack is about 1.5 ft away from the slide. I will also double check the inside.

I have looked all over the internet and have not seen anyone else having a crack like this one in the same area on a sidewall. I see lots of posts about cracks on the roof or cracks at the corners of slide or windows, but none in the middle of a sidewall.

I picked up some JB Weld WaterWeld and thought I would try a repair with it. I read online that some folks have used it on other cracks so thought I would try.

I appreciate the reply! Thanks!
Old 02-07-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply. I will see what happens to the crack when I put the slide out. I had not thought about that since the crack is about 1.5 ft away from the slide. I will also double check the inside.

I have looked all over the internet and have not seen anyone else having a crack like this one in the same area on a sidewall. I see lots of posts about cracks on the roof or cracks at the corners of slide or windows, but none in the middle of a sidewall.

I picked up some JB Weld WaterWeld and thought I would try a repair with it. I read online that some folks have used it on other cracks so thought I would try.

I appreciate the reply! Thanks!
Old 02-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The material is made up of three 1/16" plywood plies with the gelcoat layer over that, total thickness is only about 1/4". I wonder if the panel has a plywood ply seam at that point. The company that sells the material to Winnebago only warranties the material for 10 years, otherwise I think you might have a claim. If it were my RV I would buy a roll of Clear Gorilla Tape and run a continuous strip over it, to make totally sure no water can get under the gelcoat layer and start to swell and or de-laminate the plywood layers.

The tape will be almost invisible if you cut off the ends you touched with your fingers so that there are no fingerprints on the adhesive side. Be sure to push down the edges as best you can. The only extra work is keeping the edges of the tape clean, and to replace the tape every few years.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much for the Clear Gorilla Tape suggestion and information on the sidewall materials. My unit is a 2006 so it is out of warranty. I need to check my extended warranty, but I don't think it would cover the crack. Again, thanks so much for the information.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Unfortunately the only correct way to repair that starts by confirming the cause of the crack and then correcting that situation first.

It could be that the roof edge seam above the area needs to be re-sealed and water has gotten in causing the Pilon panel to de-laminate from behind. Once the cause has be rectified then the repair can be made which may require a bit of work to actually fix and not just temporarily "Doctor Up". Many times you will be looking at a repair involving cutting into the cracked fiberglass with a die grinder to expose the core without going through to the foam insulation, feathering it out enough to lay in some BiAxial Fiberglass Mat to make a structural repair, fairing the area smooth with some Gel Putty and then finishing off with Gel Coat.

Most of whats required to actually repair the crack making it as strong and likely stronger than new will be at your local Marine Supply store like West Marine or an Industrial Fiberglass Supply House. Be aware that once you prepare an area of fiberglass for patching it starts to blush so its not like you can stop overnight and start over the next morning but will have to at a minimum clean the area again wiping it down with plenty of acetone. If you expose the foam insulation extreme care needs to be taken that your layup of mat and resin does not melt the foam causing even bigger problems.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

fiberglass stress crack

Dr Drew, I would recommend taking it to a body shop to get their opinion and price for repair.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply and I will check the roof. I appreciate it!
Bruce
Old 02-13-2020, 06:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Good idea. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...2RTLWqr9CA/pub

See if this helps. While you may not want to perform the repair it should provide some useful information for deciding how to go forward. Good luck.