Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2022, 06:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fiberglass roof restoration

Hello all,
I am purchasing an old 1983 Warrior. I am told the leaks have been repaired but I would still like to restore the roof as best as possible for piece of mind before tackling the interior rebuild.

The roof is very lumpy and painted with some some sort of sealant. I was wondering what the best corse of action would be.
Should I sand it down and then put a fresh coat? Paint over it? Should I remove the old puddy seals?(I'm assuming that's a bad idea from what I read). any recommended products?

I would love to hear from anyone with their opinions.
Thanks so much in advance !
Attached Images

Winnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Winnieb,
The following three videos are a very good tutorial on what would be involved with rebuilding a vacuum bonded roof. As for myself, I have used 4'x8' sheets of ABX @ 0.2" thick as the underlayment material before fiberglassing. The intended use for the material is under the linoleum of kitchen floors, so for the thickness, it is very strong. The Luan that is used in the video looks even thinner than 3/16", and not particularly strong. With whatever material you choose, it must be kept completely dry for the bonding to be good.
I believe if you have delamination on the top surface of the roof, you could also have delamination on the interior ceiling side; just a precaution.
Let us know how it goes, OK?
Thanks, Eagle5

Old 10-27-2022, 09:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

First make sure you understand how an Winnebago roof is constructed and attached before doing anything drastic.
There are very good pictures on irv2.com pictures area.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You'll learn all you need to know by watching several of AZ Expert's Winnebago roof repair videos like the one Eagle5 posted. Although they're very similar, each one has a different complication.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AZExpert
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 04:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

More pictures might help but that ridge down the middle doesn't look good.
Don't get on that roof unless you know more about how it is made.
The links provided by Eagle5 are excellent if you have the type of roof they cover.

I haven't found anything definitive on how your roof is built.
You might want to contact Winnebago, EZ experts, or another trusted shop to help identify if your roof is like more modern

Most Winnebago roofs from the last few decades are essentially a foam core structure with lauan plywood on the bottom, a thick foam core, lauan on the top of the foam with the final top layer being a very thin fiberglass layer that comes in roles. All the layers are glued via a contact cement.

The strength comes from the shear strength of the layers and the glue on the top and bottom with the foam and glue preventing the thin layers from buckling under shear. If the materials or the glue fail or rot this roof becomes very weak.

I would not walk on this roof if you determine it is typical Winnebago construction because it looks like has failed. If you walk on it you could cause more damage.

Tags
restoration, roof, sealants