Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bruceh:
After reading this 'tip', I was more confused than before I read it.

This thread inspired me to carefully inspect my roof caulking and I found that it flexs when touched and appears to have a gap when touched.

Now does this mean that I must remove the old caulking and replace it with the correct stuff whatever that is.

I have seen eternabond referenced but know nothing about it. Do I need something exotic and unique or can I go to Home Depot etc. and get something off the shelf.

Thanks for ending my confusion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will be calling Winnebago customer service 800 number and asking them about Home Center equivalents. Usually I just go to my Winnebago dealer and ask for sealant 072889-20-000. I get this information from the following pdf on Winnebago's web site in the 2001 Adventurer/Suncruiser section:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...out_Sheets.pdf

I also am considering the Eternabond Mylar Faced Butyle Rubber Flashing Tape that comes in 50 foot rolls.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Did some more digging in older topics, found the sealant.

U.S.E. Hickson Gutter and Siding Sealant

This site is golden.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bruceh:
Did some more digging in older topics, found the sealant.

U.S.E. Hickson Gutter and Siding Sealant

This site is golden. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruce,

Is that specifically for the 2001 Adventurer? If you look at the sealant document for 2001 you will see that different model coaches even from the same year require a different sealant on the roof edge seams.

I would call the 800 number at Winnebago and verify before using a substitute.

That said, I did metal wrap and gutter fabrication previously and have noted that the approved sealant does seem a lot like a gutter seal. The nature of the seam would require something with a bit of tack and elasticity.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:09 AM   #24
Jim
Winnebago Owner

hi..i talked to winnebago years ago(mine is a 2001) about the roof and they told me that the roof overlaps the sidewall from 1 to 2" and that leakage there is rare..there were some winnebagos where the overlap was less which caused a problem..they didn't say which ones or how much less the overlap was..once a year i check the seal and always find that when i push on the roof the gap will show..i put a skim coat of silicone caulking on it with my finger..i have never removed any old caulking ..just wiped the old stuff with a cleaner like mineral spirits..i have never had a leak anywhere along that seam yet..i agree the design is lousy but don't think the problem is as serious as it sounds..as stated every problem i brought to a winnebago dealer was met with "they are all that way" and from other winnebago owners "if you think winnie is bad you should see ?"..
Old 10-28-2007, 03:22 AM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim:
hi..i talked to winnebago years ago(mine is a 2001) about the roof and they told me that the roof overlaps the sidewall from 1 to 2" and that leakage there is rare..there were some winnebagos where the overlap was less which caused a problem..they didn't say which ones or how much less the overlap was.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...I have seen a roof replacement in person and this is correct. I don't believe there is ANY WAY for water to come UP the over-lapped fiberglass. Remember, its a think sheet of fiberglass that overlaps the sides, and is only attached to the roof portion, and not the curved edges down to the sidewalls....

I bet if there is NO caulking along this edge along the side, this portion would still not leak, as the caulking only covers the gutter rail and the roof edge overlapped portion....not even near the seam, which is an inch farther down (under the gutter rail).

Good post Jim!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Hello Fellow Forum Members
A member of our local WIT club recently told me about irv2.com and I just read a number of old posts regarding problems with WB fiberglass roofs. As far as I'm concerned, the famous WB 10-year roof warranty is a sham and the Better Business Bureau or some similar organization should make them stop advertising it. Portions of the roof have blown off our 2000 Journey twice, once in 2003 and again in 2006. The first time we did not have the roof sealant inspected twice a year but in 2006 we had the local WB dealer inspect and reseal the roof in May before we took our cross-county trip. The roof failed in ND in August on our return trip.
Of course they blamed the first failure on the lack of sealant maintenance and failed to participate in the repair costs. Even though that was not the case in the second failure, WB failed to participate the repair costs (roof was replaced at WB factory). When questioned about their 10-year warranty, they advised me that all that warranty means is that the manufacturer of that piece of fiberglass guarantees that it will not deteriorate under normal use.
This year when I attended Camp Freightliner, I met a WB Journey owner with a newer coach (had full body paint) who had applied Eternabond to his roof. That sounds to me like the best solution to a problem that WB does not seem to care about or have a good solution for.
grndhogdave is offline   Reply With Quote