Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fiberglass Roof Maintenance

What are you guys using for preventative maintenance on a Winnebago fiberglass roof?

My rig is a 2019 Winnebago Vista 27PE. The roof is starting to see signs of wear and I want to treat it with something to protect it.

Options I have seen so far include:
  1. Clean and use a good marine wax such as Meguiar's Flagship Marine Wax.
  2. Clean and treat with 303 Aerospace Protectant.
Am I missing any others? What has been everyone's experience with these options?

Thanks!
Packfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packfan View Post
What are you guys using for preventative maintenance on a Winnebago fiberglass roof?

My rig is a 2019 Winnebago Vista 27PE. The roof is starting to see signs of wear and I want to treat it with something to protect it.

Options I have seen so far include:
  1. Clean and use a good marine wax such as Meguiar's Flagship Marine Wax.
  2. Clean and treat with 303 Aerospace Protectant.
Am I missing any others? What has been everyone's experience with these options?

Thanks!
You have a " '19 " and it's showing signs of wear???? Wow, I can maybe believe that of say, maybe a '10 or maybe even a '12 model year but, a '19. Is it not in any form of covered storage? In any case, yep, fiberglass will eventually succumb to the elements. Preventative maintenance is the key to ever lasting life, of the roof that is. The correct thing to do is, begin by cleaning it thoroughly with soap and water, and maybe even some cleanser to get off any potential oxidation.

Then, what I did on ours, which is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, and was in a tad bit sad shape when we acquired it 10 years ago, I washed it thoroughly and then used a DeWalt professional buffer with a cotton pad and some 3M Machine rubbing compound. Then, when that was done, I changed over to 3M polishing compound. When that was done, I hit it with Kit car wax 'cause, that's what I had on hand.

When I got done, which took about 2 days, you could comb your hair in the surface of that roof. Yeah, yeah, yeah, OF COURSE it's gonna be slippery when it gets wet, jeees, that's a given. No one says to get up there and square dance when it's raining. Just use plain common sense when walking around up there IF it's wet.

But, when you're done, that roof will last for years. You'll sincerely appreciate the work you've done.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	178792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	178793  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	178794  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Fire Up.

When I say signs of wear, I mean only some very light oxidation. Cleaning thoroughly would likely help. I bought some Gel Gloss RV Wash and Wax that is supposed to be good stuff. That is going to be my first step.

Mainly, I just want to protect the roof from future damage. I am leaning towards the waxing approach like you did. I don't think I will need to do any serious buffing and am hoping application of a good marine wax will do the trick.

Some swear by spraying 303 Protectant over the entire roof (and even the sides), but I think a good wax may last longer. I am going to to use 303 on all the plastics on the roof (A/C Cover, Vents, etc.).
Packfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I wax mine once a year with a 3m marine wax with a light compound. I store it inside now. When I was storing it outside I would do it 2x per year.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roof