Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #1

I have an 01 and my roof has never been "shiny."
You know like the sides. It has always been dull, even when I wax it. Now, when I first got it, it had some cracks in the roof curve on the forward, right. It was inspected by a Winnebago rep to see if it qualified for repair at that time. All they did was paint that area to cover up the cracks. That area is the only shiny part of my roof. It is as shiny as both end caps. Now are the rest of your roofs shiny or dull?
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #2

I have an 01 and my roof has never been "shiny."
You know like the sides. It has always been dull, even when I wax it. Now, when I first got it, it had some cracks in the roof curve on the forward, right. It was inspected by a Winnebago rep to see if it qualified for repair at that time. All they did was paint that area to cover up the cracks. That area is the only shiny part of my roof. It is as shiny as both end caps. Now are the rest of your roofs shiny or dull?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mine is dull and remains that way no matter what I try.

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My 01 roof is dull, which is ok with me. However, the sides never had a high shine, like my brothers Damon. I found that Winnebago has an overspray problem in their paint shop. When I had some fiberglass repair done at an independent shop, they called the overspray problem to my attention. They said it could be buffed to a higher gloss, but would be expensive. The gel coat is fine. I am rubbing it out, one section at time.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My roof is dull but the only time I see it is when I go up to clean it so who cares.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If it's shinny then it must be slippery. Why would you want that? The last thing I want is a slippery roof, especially when I'm up there washing it.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C Zimm:
If it's shinny then it must be slippery. Why would you want that? The last thing I want is a slippery roof, especially when I'm up there washing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SO yea the more you wash it the slipperyier it will get.... I'm never washing it again...

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Dull also. Clean it and wax it once a year
Old 07-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage. I thought the roof was dull also (I bought the RV from a dealer who got it in a trade in -- I am the second owner). This spring, I got on top with a wax that I bought from Camping World -- sold in a gallon jug and they also sell the same product in a wash mix. It has canaba (spelling) wax in it -- it also cleans off oxidation. I WAS AMAZED !!!!! As the oxidation was cleaned off and the wax was buffed - I have a buffer that I used on cars -- the roof actually has a shine to it. Also now water beads up and runs off and I have had to clean it again --- was amazed as the dirt just washed right off. The wash also renews the wax instead of stripping it the way a lot of wash mixes do. You might look into it. I am sorry that I do not remember the name but, it is for fiberglass -- white jub with a kinda colorful label on it -- as I remember run around $28.00 per gallon -- I used 1/2 gallon to do my entire coach.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #10

OK, I understand about the "slippery" roof. I wear a good deck shoe and feel quite safe. Now here is why I brought up this question. If you search
"eternabond photos" and view Jim Bob's photos of his application, you will see one "SHINY" roof. So they are out there. I guess we drew the short straw when it came to a roof that looks "GOOD."
Anyway thanks fellows for your input - I know this is not a biggie.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

My roof is very shiny. The coach has full body paint and possibly they buffed out the roof when it was in the paint shop. Below is a poor quality photo that shows reflections of some of the roof top items. I'll mention I rarely park under trees.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote