Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fantastic fan in bedroom

As anybody installed a Fantastic fan in the ceiling in place of the useless four bladed ceiling fan?

My m/h is a 05 Itasca Meridian 36G. I need to know about the possible metal frame that might be in the way. Winnie was not sure how the current fan is mounted but figured there is some kind of frame up there. I'm concerned about the structural frame, not some little frame put in to support the fan.

ThanksĄ
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I don't know.
But here is a suggestion, get an electronic stud finder and try to map out the frame either on the ceiling or from the roof side. There are probably stringers side to side, who knows the spacing, but with the stud finder you can map it out. You may need to add internal framing between the side to side frames. let me know how it comes out. I have the ceiling fan in my Journey.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Maybe a strong magnet would work.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If the frame is steel a magnet works great used one on the rear wall to find cross members. Easy deal.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Winnebago will email you pdfs of your roof structure.

My parents had a vent and fan installed in their '99 Adventurer. It wasn't centered, but cleared everything in the roof, wires, ducts, framing, etc.

There was someone here or perhaps another RV site that added a fan to theirs themselves. Some searching here, or googling might find more info.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I am just curious...what makes the four-bladed fan in the bedroom "useless?" I kind of like having it on hot nights.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I like the fan idea but just not enough air movement. I've tried reversing it but no help. I think the biggest problem is the lack of clearance between the fan and the ceiling.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

On a fifth wheel I used to have the ceiling fan was about three inches from the ceiling. It was cosmetic not functional.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I've thought of this mod, but the downsides I see are perhaps excessive noise, and too much light entering the bedroom. I recently added roof a/c to the living room area, and cut a new hole. pm me if you want specifics on cutting thru the roof. Winnebago runs the two a/c ducts front to back off-center, you can easily identify those. Steel cross-stringers side-to-side are present, and Winne can email you the engineering diagrams. The easiest way to locate them is a stud-finder from above. My coach had a wire chase curbside from the curbside a/c duct, again identified with the stud-finder. There will be wiring(coming from somewhere) to feed the ceiling fan/light. These could be reused to feed the Fantastic. There's no reason the Fantastic would need to be centered, or need to eliminate the ceiling fan, as long as you avoid the previously-mentioned structural items.

I've been experimenting with using two 120mm computer fans hanging from the top of the bedroom door frame, blowing cooler air from the hallway area into the bedroom. I attached them to a small square of corrugated cardboard and blue tape to test my idea, and they have been hanging that way for about a year now! The fans are only about $10 each, unobtrusive, and quiet. So far, so good!!
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote