Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Failed Adhesive and Used Parts

Read the 2009 threads about failed adhesive on 04 Journey and Meridian front and rear caps. We have owned our 2004 Journey 36G for two years and lost the lower rear engine cap 1 May 12 between Russell and Junction City, Kansas in a high wind area. Multiple calls to Kansas State Highway Patrol were unsuccessful and State Farm Insurance (so far) will not cover the loss. Two questions: First, any forum members have any possible sources for a replacement cap? Second, will any damage occur to the chassis and/or engine when operating without the cap? Thanks for your help.
ArmyGuy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
swk
Winnebago Camper

Maybe try looking here
RV Salvage by state
Appears to be a directory for salvage RV parts.

Can't answer your question about operating without the rear cover.
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Second, will any damage occur to the chassis and/or engine when operating without the cap
I am not sure what you mean by "lower engine cap" ... the rear of my coach has an upper (lift up) access hatch ... and a lower fixed metal louvered grill ... is your question about one of these?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Itasca Meridian 36G

My buddy lost his rear engine "wrap" and the winni dealer replaced it for about 10 k. He touched a snow bank with one side. On my rig, 05 Meridian, I had to re-glue the passenger side of the rear wrap as it came loose.

You probably needed to tell insurance that something hit you and it ripped off, thus an accident.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I belive you are talking about what winn calls the rear bumper,we have replaced or repaired several of these for customer woh pull toads and turn to sharp and when the toad gets into them it will pop them loose from the frame
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Colaws salvage, Carthlege MO Both the engine cover and gen cover failed on us. Winn fixed the front cover under war and hubby secured the engine cover with stainless bolts which look very nice.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I installed button head,stainless steel screws on front generator door and back "bumper and engine door. Just added insurance.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have had our new to us 2005 34H 4 months and the first thing I noticed was the rear engine access door outer panel was loose from the inner steel frame. The adhesive used at the factory had let go. I removed it and epoxyed it back together and so far so good. The Freightliner Center said they usually rivet it. It has 23K miles on it.

A couple weeks ago I was maneuvering in my yard and backed into some bushes. I got out looked at the situation and thought "heck, it's just bushes, I'll pull out". After pulling out the bottom engine cover was still in the bushes! Apparently it was waiting for an excuse to leave. The adhesive on the steel mounting brackets had never adhered to the steel and was only held by a few small buttons created through bracket holes and excess around the brackets. The self tapping screws used on the side brackets were all worn and sloppy.
I repaired some damage with fiberglass cloth/epoxy on the inside and not wanting to experiment with adhesives wound up remounting the brackets using 1/4 SS "sidewalk" bolts from McMaster. The heads are the size of a nickle and look good outside. I was determined to do what I could to use the panel again rather than call my insurance company and spend the rest of the season bouncing around trying to replace it. It looks good and will never fall of by itself again. I'm now looking at other assemblies with suspicion.

The good news is that it happened in my yard and not on a busy interstate, which was probably just a matter of time.
bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Had a similar problem with my 2010 Tour. Took it in to Freightliner for service and was informed that my lower radiator louvre was loose. The adhesive had let go on one side. When I got home I epoxied the loose side back to the frame and added an aluminum pop rivet to each side under one of the louvres. Seems like a common failure.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote