Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some additional information on exterior seams that appear vertically every 46". We have a 2005 Vectra 40KD. It only has three seams showing under the bedroom slide; the rest of the coach is fine. The seams are visible only from the side, not from a 90 degree angle or to the touch. Is this a defect that should be fixed by Winnebago? I never noticed them before, but I was looking at a 2005 Horizon sitting on a dealers' lot and noticed a SUBSTANTIAL number of these seams on the full side body (both sides). When they are THAT long vertically on the body side, they are not very attractive at all. I don't think that I see any actual "ripple" or delamination present, just what appears to be (at least to me) poor workmanship and/or bad engineering. I would appreciate any information or commentary that can be rendered.

Thanks in advance to all.
bbk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some additional information on exterior seams that appear vertically every 46". We have a 2005 Vectra 40KD. It only has three seams showing under the bedroom slide; the rest of the coach is fine. The seams are visible only from the side, not from a 90 degree angle or to the touch. Is this a defect that should be fixed by Winnebago? I never noticed them before, but I was looking at a 2005 Horizon sitting on a dealers' lot and noticed a SUBSTANTIAL number of these seams on the full side body (both sides). When they are THAT long vertically on the body side, they are not very attractive at all. I don't think that I see any actual "ripple" or delamination present, just what appears to be (at least to me) poor workmanship and/or bad engineering. I would appreciate any information or commentary that can be rendered.

Thanks in advance to all.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Are you talking about actual seams or the outlines of the framing? If they aren't actual seams, or if they are, is it that unsightly? and what can the mfg. do about it. I can see framing shadows on stick built houses...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi Captain Bud,

Since "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" , I suppose that "unsightly" would be a tough one for me to objectively comment on. I will agree that it bothers me a bit, though. Although mine is minimal, the other coach that I looked at was much more glaring. Since I'm not sure what you mean by framing outlines, I thought that the best way to describe it would be by including a picture(s). Hopefully, you can see the vertical lines in the center of the photos. You can also see photos at http://www.rvguides.com/seams

I don't know how this forum view inline pictures, so I hope that they will appear correctly. <:-)

Thank you.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

bbk3, your pic is worth a thousand words...
From my experience, I would say that your 'seam' is pretty typical of others I've seen. On some coaches, like my 34' Brave, you can't find vertical seams like that. But they are present on others. I've been to Forest City and seen them laser-cut complete sidewalls from front windshield all the way back to the rear cap, out of one big panel. I cannot explain why your Horizon would have a vertical seam, but maybe it's something to do with the size of the crane or the length of the panel at the factory. You've got a pretty long coach and I would suspect any other 40 footer might exhibit the same aesthetics if you looked closely.
Looking at your picture, if it were my coach, I wouldn't be concerned with it. But that's my opinion.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Looking at this I think Troth is hitting it on the head, I have a 35' and just yesterday I washed the whole MH and there are no seams showing as in your pics. Tomorrow I have to do some walk-thrus at the dealership and I'll look at the inventory to see If any other coaches have the same "seam". As Troth said it isn't that unsightly, and I don't know how it could be fixed...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 11-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi Troth,

Thanks for your reply. We actually have a Vectra 40KD (pictured). I was looking at the Horizon 40KD for someone and that it what I noticed. The only seams that I have are under the bedroom slide. Frankly, I never even noticed them until I looked at the Horizon the other day. When the seams are 8-12 feet high, they become glaringly obvious, not to mention when they are every 46 inches apart. Mine are only about 12" high. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos or I could have posted them as well. I would be interested if others who inspected their coaches found a similar situation of if this is an isolated occurrence. Seeing the 2005 Horizon on the lot with so many of these "seams" (sorry -- I do not know what else to call them) made me wonder if this might be why this otherwise beautiful coach is still sitting on the lot. I'm still pretty new to this, and as such rely on the kind contribution of the seasoned veterans on the forum for their candid insight. I'm more concerned with it as an aesthetic rather than structural issue. Maybe some others will "weigh in" on this issue after inspecting their coaches.

Thanks though, Troth, for your reply. Your opinion is appreciated and well received.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Captain Bud,

Thanks for your reply. I will be very interested in what you find when you look at the inventory after your walk-thrus at the dealership. It might be suggested that since these "seams" don't appear "every" 46 inches (as illustrated by the fact that you do not seem to have "any") that this could be a manufacturing defect. Most of my coach is free from these seams as well. As far as a fix, I don't think that anyone would argue that could be done; it might just not be something the Winnebago would look forward to doing. I will look forward to your findings; maybe some other coach owners might have a chance to inspect their coaches in the interim as well and submit their findings.

Thank you again for your reply.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Could these seams developing be caused by improper use of the jacks???

Or using Eternalbond tape to permanently bond the sidewalls to the roof, thus losing the flexiblity that Winnebago designed into the coach.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi Tom,

I don't know anything about Eternalbond tape; as far as the improper use of the jack, I don't think so for two reasons. #1 - We have a Computerized AutoLeveling System and, if that is causing it, that would be HWH's issue. But even so, #2 - the strange thing is that there are NO actual breaks; you can see it looking at a 90 degree angle to the seam, nor can you "feel" any dimple in the clearcoat's surface. But unfortunately, you can see it VERY clearly as you approach the coach. Again -- mine is only a small percentage of the problem relative to the Horizon that I looked at -- but even still, there must be an explaination, wouldn't you think?

Thanks for your reply!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I don't think it is anything mechanical causing the problem, I think that it is a mark that occurs in the manufacture of the sidewall. Sometimes I catch my MH in tyhe wrong light and it looks like the side was hit with a truck, I think there is a lot of expansion and contraction going on with our coachs. Getting back to yours I think that they are mfg. seams and nothing more...BTW I checked a lot of coaches today at the dealership and I saw nothing ( I sound like Sgt Schultz)LOL

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 11-15-2005, 12:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Aren't the sidewalls all supposed to be one piece laser cut as Troth has mentioned? If so, and if most coaches don't have the seams (trust me, Captain Bud, you'd have to see this Horizon and I think you'd agree), it seems to me that they are not supposed to be there. IMHO
Old 11-16-2005, 03:59 AM   #13
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have gone out of my way to compare paint and sidewalls on numerous other coach manufacturers in our travels. Comparitively priced coaches do not have as many ripples and bunmps and rough spots as Winnebago. As a matter fact some look as smooth as glass. Seems as though Winnebago has really fallen short in all aspects of quality over the past few years.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I thought this "seam" was actually where the side wall was attached to the frame.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Hi Tom,

I suppose it could be, but I am told that these are supposed to be one piece laser cut panels which, if so, would suggest that there might be a problem with the manufacturing process itself, especially given the inconsistency of the occurrence. It would be nice if the Winnebago technical folks had a support forum or an email address that we could get this clarified.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Have you tried to call Winnebago at 800-537-1885 and ask them?? I've called several times with questions and found them to be very helpful. Just have your coach info handy when you call so they can look the unit up in there records.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

While i might not know exactly what these marks are, they look to be from the manufacturing process. Maybe a defective pressure roller in the laminating process.

I have noticed this same type of mark on other coaches, but usually its just a small mark that repeats itself down the side of the coach, like a small piece of glue or something attached itself to the pressure rollers during the glue and laminating process.

would not get to upset about it, although I would probaly be out there trying to figure out how to get rid of it myself

cheeers!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Our rig doesn't have the full body paint, so I don't see this as well as some that do have it, but there is a little if you look in just the right light. It is more noticeable on the roof.

The explanation I was given was that it is due to the joints in the plywood backing on the fiberglass. After seeing the assembly process in Forest City it makes a little sense to me, but I still wish it wasn't obvious.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:42 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the post. You are right -- it takes the right light or angle to see them. But "when" you do, and if you have a few of them in a row, they really bug you. I only have three 12" seams, which as I mentioned before I didn't even know were there until I saw a 2005 Horizon 40KD leftover (Bluestone) at Lazydays on the lot with quite a few 8 FOOT (or so) vertical seams. They were not pretty - and they were on both sides. Not sure if they are more obvious in dark or light paint; this one appeared to be more problematic in the lighter metallic paint. I feel badly for those who have them, since it doesn't seem to be the "norm". "Buck" mentioned a "small mark repeating itself" – no, it's not that at all. This is a visual SEAM - not to the touch, but visual. I have spoken to some others who plan to look at their rigs and post their findings. N8XV: your point is good; I have called in the past many time and received conflicting information, so (often) the answer that you receive is only as good as the competence of the tech that you are speaking to (unfortunately not limited to Winnebago by any means)... but there ARE good techs there. I think that a "direct" answer to this issue would be hard to come by, however, due to the potential "liability" of an admission of error, since the problem is not consistently "bad" across the board and those who DO have the problem might demand reparation. JMHO...