Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Extensive rust 2019 26RBSS

I am very new to the forum. I read at a very slow speed so I am hoping for some direction regarding the proper forum and I need some help regarding my recent Winnebago 2019 26RBSS. I realize that I may be "closing the barn door after the animal escaped, however, I need some help. Here is my predicament.

I purchased a 2019 26RBSS (travel trailer) at Lazy Days in Tampa Florida (roughly 200 miles from home in GA.

I made the purchase June 26, 2018
The manufacture date is February 28, 2018.
Purchase Date: June 26, 2018
The beginning of August, two bolts holding the rear stabilizer sheared off.
The stabilizer came completely off the frame.
I observed that many of the bolts were severely rusted - severely.
This caused me to start inspecting the underside.
(I thought since it was a Winnebago, the name would speak for itself) But I've been told by the local authorized repair dealer that rust was a gray area.

Many bolts and (for example) clamp around the grey water release, the frame the emergency brake were rusted.

I called Winnebago customer service and sent them copies of the rust and snapped off bolts. It's been such a short time since I did this.
However after reading many of the comments, I suspect that I will be fixing the rust myself.

Is there any solution to obtain warranty repair. Any resolution other than fix it myself.

Last Issue: I have a 2018 Ford Ecoboost that I'm using to pull our 2019 26RBSS and I'm using a Husky centerline weight distribution system. My truck is still sagging in the back. Is there any simple to understand instructions that would allow me to adjust system. We don't have a Husky dealer that I can ask for assistance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

barbnphil
barbnphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would take it to the factory service center and drop it off. We did this with our Minnie Winnie (different issues) and they repaired everything under warranty. For MH we go to Forest City, not sure on travel trailers.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Surface rust is going to be an issue with any travel trailer. From what I’ve read before, the frames are built and then stacked up until needed, maybe months ahead.

I doubt that bolts sheared off due to rust. It’s more likely that they weren’t tight enough. The bolts could have broken from movement while driving or from stress when the stabilizers were deployed.

If Winnebago authorizes the repair, it’s possible that the dealer will have the trailer for a long time. Generally, they get the trailer in, wait to look at it, wait to submit the paperwork, wait to get authorization then wait for parts. If you have someone that can replace those broken bolts with the proper spec bolts, I’d consider that. Also, if the surface rust is going to bother you, get it off with some steel wool then spray with a rust preventing paint.

Good lick and enjoy it once you get it ready to go again.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust