Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Excessive engine fan noise

Have 05 Itasca Suncruiser 33V with 8.1 GM Vortec and 5 spd Allison. I cannot believe the fan noises when I decelerate or ever accelerate. Seems to be a combo of the twin elec fans in front of radiator and the big viscuous fluid fan behind it.

Am I the only one having this noise or is there something I can do or have checked. The selling dealer felt it was "Normal".

Any techies out there ??? HELP
Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'd say it's pretty normal-I can definitely hear mine when it cranks up to keep the big block running happy...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You will probably get better responses if you post this in the Workhorse Chassis forum.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #4

But ya... when that viscous fan kicks in, its pretty loud.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Very typical of GM gas engines in my experience.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Is it a constant sound? The viscous fan clutch should only engage when engine coolant temperatures get too high. If it is engaged all the time you need to have your fan clutch replaced.
Ultra RV Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

MegaRoadie,

To give you an idea of how the fan should work, I have a Scan II guage that gives me accurate coolant temperatures. My clutch fan comes on when the coolant temp reaches 206-7 degrees. This warms the air through the radiator to the 157 degrees air temp that is needed to engage the clutch fan. It goes off at 200 degrees in about 20 seconds. We are traveling through the SW and yesterday the air temps were in the 80's and our fan came on every 15 minutes or so on flat ground, more often on long climbs. Hope this helps on the normal operation.

I got very tired of the noise when we went through the Rockies 4 years ago and it was over 100 degrees. Upon returning home I used Dynamat (.068" material lined with silver mylar) from Jeg's or Summit speed shops to line everything from the windshield back to well behind the engine. I also used a .75" foam material with mylar to line the engine cover. This material is peel and stick and holds very well. This reduced the noise a great deal and also lowers the heat transferred to the interior of the coach. I still don't like the noise, but it is very much quieter than it was.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I just came across I-70 through the Rockies and the noise was outrageous. My wife and I had to shout to communicate and forget the stereo.

Does anybody have pictures of the Dynamat installation?? Where did the .75" foam come from?

A project is born.

This could go in Winnebago or Workhorse forums, seems like something that could apply to either.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

bruceh,

I bought my .75 foam insulation from Jeg's or Summit Speed Shops. But I just did a search and couldn't find it on either site. I did find it by searching for heat insulation. One location is QUIET BARRIER® Specialty Composite Soundproofing Material for Blocking Sound, Noise and Vibration Control I put it over the factory insulation and used a few dry wall screws and washers to make sure it stayed in place, but I don't think they were necesary.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 06-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
YC1
Winnebago Owner

I insulated my dog house and it made a tremendous difference. Make sure you hae a good seal around the edge too. If you have a little misalignment it will let horrendous noise in.

Bonded Logic Inc - Doghouse Engine Cover Insulation Kit - Engine Performance - Camping World

Use this contact glue instead of any spray on glues. Use a throw away brush and in a vented area. You can get it in pints, qts etc. Inexpensive and will really hold well.

DAP Products - Construction Adhesives - DAP® Weldwood® Original Contact Cement
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Make sure your dog house is put on correctly. I have never taken my motorhome anywhere where they put in on right and made sure it was tight and the rubber seal was not falling off. It is loud anyway but way louder without the dog house on properly. I just love these little things.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote