Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Eternabond Redux

Inspected roof seams today (every 6 mos). Found Eternabond deterioation. It's not eterna nor is it bonded. I uploaded photos but cannot find them in this blasted system. What happened to simplicity?

(Admin: insert photos here. Thx)

Anyway, Eternabond is deteriorating badly, but just on the right fwd part of the rain gutter (sun side). Applied Eternabond June 2006, so it lasted 6 years. I'm going to order another roll & plan to apply it over the existing tape, because I doubt if I can remove the existing tape. I'd rather have a smooth surface to work with. Comments??

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
Inspected roof seams today (every 6 mos). Found Eternabond deterioation. It's not eterna nor is it bonded. I uploaded photos but cannot find them in this blasted system. What happened to simplicity?

(Admin: insert photos here. Thx)

Anyway, Eternabond is deteriorating badly, but just on the right fwd part of the rain gutter (sun side). Applied Eternabond June 2006, so it lasted 6 years. I'm going to order another roll & plan to apply it over the existing tape, because I doubt if I can remove the existing tape. I'd rather have a smooth surface to work with. Comments??
I guess the Edit option went away. Anyway, here are the pix: (looking down from the roof in the 1st two pix)

I peeled back about 1 1/2" in the center right of last pic to see the basic caulk line in the channel (about six years ago). Still looks good, I assume because it was protected. Would like your opinions on applying new Eternabond over old, as a partial fix.....about ten feet on the right front of the MH.

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wow. I put Ebond on my coach in late 2005 and it is still intact. I will check it again thoroughly to make sure. As good and clean as your roof looks, I am surprised at the amount of breakdown in the tape.

It can be removed but it is a chore. Using a hair dryer and some patience, you can get it off. It does seem to stick to itself so I would think you could clean the existing tape with a solvent and stick the new stuff over the old.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Not that you want to remove it, but here is a link with instructions if you change your mind.
Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond®

Quote:
I guess the Edit option went away. Anyway, here are the pix: (looking down from the roof in the 1st two pix)

I peeled back about 1 1/2" in the center right of last pic to see the basic caulk line in the channel (about six years ago). Still looks good, I assume because it was protected. Would like your opinions on applying new Eternabond over old, as a partial fix.....about ten feet on the right front of the MH.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #5

Find the same or better stuff at any Home Depot/Lowes/Menards... For less than 1/2 the price...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Find the same or better stuff at any Home Depot/Lowes/Menards... For less than 1/2 the price...
Really? Brand names and links, please?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Yes, what would the name of that product be?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #8

Here's one or two;
White Quick Roof™ for RVs and Mobile Homes Cofair Products, Inc.

http://www.cofair.com/rubberroof.aspx

I personally used this one since I have a metal roof.. http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...ductId=1018733

Eternabond is not the only game in town. They weren't even the first... or the best.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Aluminum tape to repair an EDPM roof??
Old 03-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Second link has the rubber roof stuff. First and third are both aluminum.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Just thrown in there as it was white .. but yes, you can use the Aluminum tape to seal rubber roofs as its only a an Aluminum layer over the butyl...

As said, the other link is rubber.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ah, I see, I think the post was edited after I read it. Looks interesting but the cost seems to be about the same as Eternabond (Eternabond 6"x50' = $127, QuickRoof 6"x100' $249.) But what really matters is what works best, would love to know if anyone has made any comparisons.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have used something very similar to the Lowe's Peel and Seal stuff (may even have been just that) on a metal barn roof in the past- lasted only about a year, so was fine for a temporary patch but was not suitable for a permanent or semi-permanent fix.

Interesting that this stuff from Lowe's gets high reviews on being a sound deadening liner in automobiles.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Ah, I see, I think the post was edited after I read it. Looks interesting but the cost seems to be about the same as Eternabond (Eternabond 6"x50' = $127, QuickRoof 6"x100' $249.) But what really matters is what works best, would love to know if anyone has made any comparisons.
I paid $15 for the Aluminum version at Lowes.. 6"x25'. I know the White Rubber version was about the same at Menards last I saw.

As for it not working: Dunno.. This stuff is stickier and thicker than Eternabond. Mines been on my Aluminum roof for over a year with no problems.

Anyways.. Just trying to tell you that there are options other than Eternabond... Make of it what you will.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #15

Peel & Seal.. the Original: MFM Building Products Corporation

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIwBEPMCMAI
Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

My rig has a fiberglass roof.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Anyways.. Just trying to tell you that there are options other than Eternabond... Make of it what you will.
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to criticize and we all appreciate the info... just trying to sort it all out...
Old 04-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Update on EB: Spoke w/Eternabond Rep & he sent two 3" wide rolls of EB. I applied the 3" EB over the existing 2" EB. Here's the before & after:

Couple of ripples & bubbles, but good nuf for gummint work. My secret: I have not done the other side. Soon.......

Old 04-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Update on EB: Spoke w/Eternabond Rep & he sent two 3" wide rolls of EB. I applied the 3" EB over the existing 2" EB.
Sounds like they are going to be sending you some 4" rolls in a few years.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
doc
Winnebago Owner

Was the orig. EBond you put on it the fiber backed? If so did you paint the UV resistant coating on it? I ask because it appears there is a broken joint where the roof meets the wall. When we had the Itasca several years ago I did the roof/side joints and let the EB lap over the joint into the gutter on the bottom edge and about an inch and a half out on the roof. I rolled it into place and when everything was right I coated it with the UV protectant. It was on well over 6 years and still solid as a dollar (well maybe a little more solid than the US dollar ) when we sold it three years ago. Sorry the EB has not held up like it should have. Winnebago has a good product, but they sure could do some re-designing on that particular aspect of the design.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond