Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
Update on EB: Spoke w/Eternabond Rep & he sent two 3" wide rolls of EB. I applied the 3" EB over the existing 2" EB. Here's the before & after:

Couple of ripples & bubbles, but good nuf for gummint work. My secret: I have not done the other side. Soon.......
I think I'll do this to my gutters prior to applying Liquid Roofing this year - thank-you for the idea and the photos.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Was the orig. EBond you put on it the fiber backed? If so did you paint the UV resistant coating on it? I ask because it appears there is a broken joint where the roof meets the wall. When we had the Itasca several years ago I did the roof/side joints and let the EB lap over the joint into the gutter on the bottom edge and about an inch and a half out on the roof. I rolled it into place and when everything was right I coated it with the UV protectant. It was on well over 6 years and still solid as a dollar (well maybe a little more solid than the US dollar ) when we sold it three years ago. Sorry the EB has not held up like it should have. Winnebago has a good product, but they sure could do some re-designing on that particular aspect of the design.
Don't know if fiber backed.....it was just like the original, which I don't think was fiber backed. Glue/stickum was gray and SUPER sticky. And I did not paint w/UV coating. Did not know about it and EB Rep said nothing about UV coating. Where did you hear about it? I applied the EB into/near bottom of the gutter, and yes there is a space beneath some of the U channel and the EB. Don't see how one can avoid that.

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
doc
Winnebago Owner

The stuff that I used years ago had a gray fiber coating (almost like cloth, non-woven) on the gray super sticky gummy rubber. There was a clear plastic on the gum you pull off to apply the sticky surface to whatever you are putting it on. After the application is in place, you really need to apply heavy pressure to activate all the adhesive. Then EB makes a UV protectant that is like paint. It is tintable for application to colored surfaces. W/O the UV protectant, the fiber will breakdown after being in the sunshine over a period of time. This 'paint' also helps to harden the tape and keeps it laying down tight.
I heard about it when I was doing research to seal the side seams on our coach. I actually called the company and they told me about the stuff. I am not sure EB had the plastic coated tape in the early 2000's - maybe so. The fiber type works better with compound curves, like corners on the Winne product coach I had.
This is why I questioned the application, it just looked like the UV had gotten to it and the fiber was deteriorated.
Clean surface, smooth application and rolled out really tight should result in longer than 6 years. Better luck to you on this go round.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Doc, Eternabond still makes a paintable cloth backed tape they call "Web Seal" Its less stiff and takes compound curves better than the vinyl-backed.

However, it DOES need to be painted (we covered it with the Snow-Seal we coated the roof with) to protect the adhesive from UV.

The EB that failed certainly looks like the cloth-backed tape.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all. The old & new EB is RoofSeal, per the labels, so it's not WebSeal.
I'll call EB about the UV treatment. Also need to go over the new EB with a roller cuz I did not do that. Hope it's not too late.

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Called EB today. No UV coating is needed for RoofSeal. It's for WebSeal. And it's OK to apply pressure to the already applied EB tape. Need to go to Ace tomorrow & get a roller. Man, it's always something !

Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Today applied EB to the other (left) side; also the forward cap seam. The L side gutter is North-facing, so there was a lot of green/black gunk that had to be cleaned out. Did that with EternaCleaner (spray can). A few ripples/bubbles, but it's DONE

Off topic, but tomorrow I'm having the Blue Ox tow adapter plate & wiring harness installed at a RV repair center (on my new Honda CRV). Then need to go for a test drive w/the whole mess.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to tickle an old thread but I am looking for an update.

I also used the 2" eternabond about 4 years ago and now it is beat up just about like these pictures. I called EB also and was advised to remove the old tape before applying the 4" tape. The rep made it sound like no big deal as long as I didn't have to remove the glue.

So, how is everything holding up?

I have to answer to a higher authority and will be using 3" tape. My wife doesn't like the look of 4" tape.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

It's only been 18 months since I applied the 3" EB tape, but it's holding up OK so far. SSSHHHH !! Take a photo of your EB deterioration & email to EB. They sent me 3" EB tape under warranty (7 yrs), enough to cover both sides of MH (38'). I did not remove the old 2" EB tape; just applied over the old. (Cleaned the old EB tape first, with the cleaner they sent).

Thudman

Tags
eternabond