Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Given the age of my motorhome, I intend to redo most or all of the sealant on my roof this summer. I have read all the glowing reviews of the Eternabond tapes. When I cleaned the roof (my back still aches) a few days ago I noticed a couple of areas where the edge of the existing sealant seemed a bit loose. This is my incentive to redo the roof this year. There is no leaking problem at this time and I hope to avoid any in the future.

My question is, can eternabond be applied over the existing caulk (sealant), or must the old sealant be removed first?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Given the age of my motorhome, I intend to redo most or all of the sealant on my roof this summer. I have read all the glowing reviews of the Eternabond tapes. When I cleaned the roof (my back still aches) a few days ago I noticed a couple of areas where the edge of the existing sealant seemed a bit loose. This is my incentive to redo the roof this year. There is no leaking problem at this time and I hope to avoid any in the future.

My question is, can eternabond be applied over the existing caulk (sealant), or must the old sealant be removed first?
Old 06-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:

My question is, can eternabond be applied over the existing caulk (sealant), or must the old sealant be removed first? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

You need to clean off any wax or silicone for the Eternabond to stick. They give you a scouring pad with each roll to help. I did the roof seams with it on my coach and had started painting it with rustolium antique white paint when touching up bruses from the former owner sideswipping tree branches etc that would be visible from the ground. I was very happy with the results to the final day.

Regards,
Old 06-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Tom;
I put Eternabond on all my cap and side seams. It will not stick to silicone caulk. If in doubt take a little piece and test it. My seams were all silicone. I removed all of it and resealed with Dynaflex 230. I than capped all the seams with Eternabond. I used the 4" roll and cut in half for a 2" cover. I am very pleased with the end result.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Tom, This isn't about eternabond but back to your a/c. Was at Redlands for my Ultrapower yesterday. We left Mon. to go to Salton Sea first then Redlands on way back. Found a/c not working again. Redlands is a WH center, so had them ck on a/c fault. There are 2 heater hoses going to big a/c box. One has an inline valve w/ elec wires attached. The tech said for me to feel the hoses. The upper was very hot and the lower very warm. He said the inline valve is common failure and best cure is a common brass ball valve to replace the existing one. Napa would have one if I wanted to do it myself. Yeah! Got valve when I got home. Phoned back to confirm which hose to put it in and he said " best to put one in both hoses/ one to shut off flow and the other prevents heat transfer through the other". So it's done now and the a/c blows you away w/cold air.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #6

I have a question about the Eternabond. I just received mine today, and I was surprised at how thin it is. With sticky back and the hard surface, it can't be more than 2/16" thick? Is this the stuff you have been putting on the roof seams? I just thought it would be thicker?
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

thanks everyone for the eternabond suggestions. It sounds like a better service than caulking every couple of years. I don't know if the caulking there now is silicone or not, so best to remove it first?

eandy --- thanks for the info for the a/c. My problem now seems to be the compressor not kicking in. I may be low on coolant, or the jumping of the cut off thermostat by previous owner may have damaged the system. Got some more checking to do -- but that is another post.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hi Tom,

I used the eternabond tape on my coach and last april I did a friends coach. I think the tape is the way to go and there are some pictures on this site that may be helpful to you. Do a search on Eternabond tape 2" and find JimBob's pictures. I hope it helps.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Jim Bob, I think you are right as it being the way to go. Has anyone figured out how long the stuff will last before needing replacement?
Old 06-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Eternabond experts: On my rig, would the bottom of the Eternabond tape be put down into the rain gutter "U" channels? Or is the tape bottom applied higher, starting at the existing caulk line. If the latter, there doesn't seem to be much overlap to keep the roof down. I couldn't quite tell from the fotos.

I'm about to purchase the tape (2").

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi Thudman,
The gutter channel is a little different on some models. Mine is a 2000 Horizon and I did my friends 2003 Suncrusier too. In both cases I stood the tape up-right in the gutter and had plenty of over lap covering the seam and plenty of contact surface to the roof. Also by standing the tape in the gutter it gives you a nice straight line when finished. Take it slow as you peal and stick because that stuff really sticks to what it touches. Cleaning up the excess adheasive isn't too hard. I used some of that citrus stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart and it came off pretty easy. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Jim Bob:
Do I need to remove the existing caulk from the the roof seam? I'd prefer to leave it in place & just clean the roof edge surface (of wax/dirt). Seems like the Eternabond tape should cover over it.

I tried to bring up the pix via a "search", but cannot find them. Even bookmaked the page a few months ago, but no pix are there anymore.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote