Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello All,

In an effort to avoid making penetrations in my foberglass roof while installing a roof rack on my 2006 Itasca Spirit it has been sugested that perhaps I should consider epoxying some type of wood pedastoll to the roof and then screwing the roof rack to these wood blocks.

This sounds like a great idea but knowing so little about epoxys I was wondering if there is any particular epoxy that would be best for this application.

If anybody has any advice or wisdom about epoxying wood to fiberglass it would be greatly appreciated.

As always many thanks......
Kahunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello All,

In an effort to avoid making penetrations in my foberglass roof while installing a roof rack on my 2006 Itasca Spirit it has been sugested that perhaps I should consider epoxying some type of wood pedastoll to the roof and then screwing the roof rack to these wood blocks.

This sounds like a great idea but knowing so little about epoxys I was wondering if there is any particular epoxy that would be best for this application.

If anybody has any advice or wisdom about epoxying wood to fiberglass it would be greatly appreciated.

As always many thanks......
Old 12-18-2007, 03:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have seen a ham-radio owner install an antenna on his roof using silicon caulk to adhere a plywood base to his fiberglass roof.

The pad was about 12" x 18", the antenna mast was motorized to self-raise/lower with all the forces applied to that pad.

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

A more elegant solution would be to use aluminum plate instead of wood. Skip the epoxy and bed the plate down with Dicor or some other brand of self-levelling sealant. Use a high-strength aluminum alloy like 6061T6.

My Datastorm Internet satellite dish weighs about 100 pounds and has lived happily on my roof for two years. It has a large (maybe 2' by 40") aluminum base that is simply bedded down with Dicor and #12 sheet metal screws. The contact area between the roof and the plate with the Dicor is what keeps the thing in place.

I don't think your roof material is Fiberglass - I suspect it is a product called Filon.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Kahuna
I would sure find out how well the fiberglass is attatched to the underlying substructure.
It is fairly thin fiberglass. Will it withstand any long term wind loads and loading forces of the luggage rack without any good solid attatchment points?
Ron
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Filon is a brand name for fiberglass. Just what Kemlite markets it as. Like Winnebago is a motorhome and Kleenex a tissue.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

After getting advice about this on this board and others I have desided to screw the rack down to the roof.

I have gotten a copy of the roof framing diagram from Winnebago.

Thanks for all your advise and wish me luck.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Before you do that....!
I have 3 solar panels on the roof held down by Scotch VHB double-sided tape (#4950). I was not at all comfortable with this scheme until I started looking into the specs of this stuff and have since become a believer. See the link above and you might be too.

BTW- This stuff is very difficult to find in anything less than a roll (occasionally on eBay), but when I just bought my 3rd panel from AM Solar, I had them roll off $10 worth just to have around. That's not their business, but they might do it again.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote