Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Entry Step lubrication

How do you lubricate the entry seps and with what lube? I have a 2018 Intent 30R.
John P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Steps are one of the few things that are pretty much the same but what we use is more personal. The way I do it is to simply look for any point where one item rubs/works against another like at the hinges and corners. I prefer a spray as easy but there are point which seem to suit better for some sprays than others as I do not want something thick and sticky to collect dirt and grit as that makes wear. But it also needs to be thick and solid enough to last as I don't want to relube after every trip.
WD-40 is great for many things but I consider it too thin for this. likewise some sprays are thicker than wanted but I find a mid grade lithium grease is about what I want as it is designed to also resist water and washing off.
I spray all contact points and then wipe off the white overspray just for appearance.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Like Morich, I used spray on lithium grease for a number of years but have switched to heavy duty silicone spray for the last couple of years. Seems to work just fine and I don't have to mess with the white overspray. I know it is not as heavy duty a lubricant as the lithium grease.

One tip I read on a forum some place is to grab the bottom step and jiggle it from side to side as the steps are retracting and extending a couple of times. That tip worked really well on my steps. My steps would not fully retract so they stuck out the side of my RV about a couple of inches. I was considering replacing the step motor but the side-to-side trick solved the problem for the past two years.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

WD-40 is not a lubricant, even though many people use it as such. It's a water displacement product. The name "WD-40" refers to water displacement formula number 40.

This is the ideal product to use since it specifically made for the purpose:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lippert-...9177/308001411

I bought mine at Camping World a few years back. One can will last a long long time.

Here's a little more information about WD-40:
In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry. Working in a small lab in San Diego, California, it took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40® -which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
JCM
Winnebago Camper

I found that using Castrol chain lube works great. One application will last about 1 year but be careful as it contains graphite and will stain a white shirt.
It is designed for the chains on motorcycles so won't collect dirt.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken 2 View Post
WD-40 is not a lubricant, even though many people use it as such. It's a water displacement product.
It actually claims to be both, but I would agree it may not be the best lubricant.

But I can tell you it is a lubricant. When I was a teenager I accidentally shot some of it into my eyes. My first thought was: "That's going to sting." It didn't sting, but my eyelids were extremely easy to open and close. Amazing feeling, but not so amazing that I ever tried it again.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

lubricant:
a substance, such as oil or grease, used for minimizing friction, especially in an engine or component.
Anybody want to debate if it reduces friction?

The grease on our hair is not really mentioned as a lube either but any old hand can tell you it is a great lube if you are trying to run a big screw in by hand! WD-40 is so handy, it will always be a lube in my book.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I use silicone spray. If you have Kwikie steps they actually make they own spry lubricant.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat