Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Entry door window condensation

Over the past several weeks the dual pane window in my entry door has accumulated significant condensation between the panes. Has anyone attempted to split the window and reseal it and if so, how was it done and were you successul? Can a window repair facility fix this or will this require replacement of the window? Thanks.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am just experiencing the same problem. Mine seems "temporary" as when it heats up the condensation disappear. My guess is that the window will have to be replaced based upon threads I've read regarding side windows. Let's hope someone has an answer for us.

Nick
'01 Journey
Old 03-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

http://www.suncoastdesigners.com/

This is a company in Florida that repairs dual pain RV windows. The site explains the process.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&Pat View Post
http://www.suncoastdesigners.com/

This is a company in Florida that repairs dual pain RV windows. The site explains the process.
Nice link, Bob! But does anybody know if a similar service on the west coast?

I have condensation that forums at the bottom of my entry door window in the winter but seems to disappear in drier climates like Nick's. So far, it's not blocking my vision while driving but I'm thinking that someday it will get worse.

Florida is too far as I "hang out" on the west coast.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Bob

Do you have any idea of what the company charges --- I have a window on the driver's side and the one in the door that need to be fixed ?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Bob

Do you have any idea of what the company charges --- I have a window on the driver's side and the one in the door that need to be fixed ?
I've read where they charge a flat rate of $200 a window, whether it is one pane or two, and a 5 year prorated warranty after a 100% uncond 1st year.

Lazydays also has this service now, right on their premises. Don't know what they charge.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

David K, CaptBill is correct in the above post. That is what I have read on another forum.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm with Scirocco22, need a west coast service provider. I did a google but found nothing.

Nick
Old 03-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Nick, I've been searching around the internet as well. I'm thinking the best bet would be a body shop that might specialize in RVs.

I found one in Reno that states on their website that they do "window repair" but we'd have to get in touch with them to see if they'd do repairs on seals.

http://www.paramountautobody.com/ind...repair_service

I'm not in a real hurry yet to do this as I probably will wait until it gets worse but I'd like to have a references handy in case I need to have it done quickly.

I'll keep you posted if I find something else. I hope somebody on the west coast might chime in if they have had something like this done.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Looks like I might need to take a trip down to Florida in the near future. I am sure that the charge of $200.00 per window does not include the labor to do the work but, it is probably well worth it.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Smile Foggy window repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Nice link, Bob! But does anybody know if a similar service on the west coast?

I have condensation that forums at the bottom of my entry door window in the winter but seems to disappear in drier climates like Nick's. So far, it's not blocking my vision while driving but I'm thinking that someday it will get worse.

Florida is too far as I "hang out" on the west coast.
CHECK THIS COMPANY OUT IN BEND, OR.
http://www.freewebs.com/daverootrvglassrepair/:)
OOPS, THAT DIDN'T WORK. GOOGLE DAVE ROOT GLASS. SAME URL, BUT IT WORKS. MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IRV2.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
TJM
Winnebago Camper

I too have a dual pane window that is leaking. The window is one of the ones on the side of the bedroom slide. We never use either window. My question is how long can you let it go? Also, if you let it go for a long time, will it do any damage to the motorhome itself? Is it possible for the "no-longer-dual-pane" window to leak moisture to inside the motorhome?
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Scirocco22, appreciate that. I'm in the same boat as you and will see if things get worse. Yesterday we had a nice day and this morning is the same and I have no condensation. If I come across a west coast repair shop, I'll also post.

Thanks for the link Dan L, I'll check it out as there is a possibility that I will go through Bend in the next few months.

Nick
Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Wow! Thanks, Dan. Excellent link.

Here's their homepage.

And here's their excellent explanation of what they do.

Have you used them, Dan? Or has anybody else used them?

They say that they'll give you a quote over the internet. I'll try to do that when I get the chance.

TJM, I really doubt that the moisture trapped inside the glass would do damage to the motorhome itself. It usually is just a slight fog or tiny droplets of water that are forming inside the two panes of glass. I think you could let it go until it bothers you enough to have it fixed.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I think you could let it go until it bothers you enough to have it fixed.
TJM, perhaps I was wrong or it could be advertising hype on their part but their website says:

"The longer you wait, the more chance for internal damage to the glass from the broken seal."

So, maybe you shouldn't let it go until it bothers you enough to have it fixed, I don't know, but I was thinking on waiting a bit longer to see how much worse it gets. Maybe I'll regret it, who knows?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Wow! Thanks, Dan. Excellent link.

Here's their homepage.

And here's their excellent explanation of what they do.

Have you used them, Dan? Or has anybody else used them?

They say that they'll give you a quote over the internet. I'll try to do that when I get the chance.

TJM, I really doubt that the moisture trapped inside the glass would do damage to the motorhome itself. It usually is just a slight fog or tiny droplets of water that are forming inside the two panes of glass. I think you could let it go until it bothers you enough to have it fixed.
scirrocco...

i have not used dave root yet and don't know of anyone who has.
my foggy window is the front lower corner of the passengers window. it obscures the mirror view at times.:( winnebago or atwood should have fixed it under warranty.
there used to be a number of threads about foggy windows on the old irv2. that is where i found out about root and some other possible fixes.
there are some things i am going to try before getting someone to repair the window.

1 i drilled 6 each 1/16" holes between the glass layers to dissipate the moisture. then i heated the glass with a hair dryer. it did reduce the moisture. i don't know if it will be a permanent fix yet. i can always use the hair dryer again, maybe even drill some more holes.

2 there is a kit available to wash inside between the window layers with alcohol (i think). i don't know if that is a permanent fix. it seems to me that you would have to evacuate the air and insert a dry inert gas and then seal the holes to be a permanent fix.

3 someone suggested breaking the inside window out, thus having a single pane window. that would be a permanent fix. i spent a couple of bucks on one of those safety glass breaking hammers just in case.

4 if i break both the inside and the outside glass layers, i will definitely be calling dave root.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Interesting post, Dan. Yeah, I remember this being discussed on previous threads but didn't remember Dave Root in Bend.

I do remember the discussion on drilling a hole in one pane and thought about it but hesitate to do it. If one of these window repair places can fix it so the seals are sound enough to prevent this from happening again, I think I'd just as soon pay to have it corrected properly.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Interesting post, Dan. Yeah, I remember this being discussed on previous threads but didn't remember Dave Root in Bend.

I do remember the discussion on drilling a hole in one pane and thought about it but hesitate to do it. If one of these window repair places can fix it so the seals are sound enough to prevent this from happening again, I think I'd just as soon pay to have it corrected properly.

Thanks!
i drilled 6 small holes in the frame between the glass panes, not in the glass itself.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Oooooh! How embarrassed am I?

Yeah, I thought that would be a tricky job. That's why I didn't want to try it.

Man, I'm not too stupid, am I?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:36 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

hi everyone. I'm not here to advertise so please do not kick me off the site.

I heard you all was talking about different things to do to your windows from my customers. They tell me i should get on and meet you all so here I am.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me either here or in my email on my site.
I was reading through some of the things you all have heard. A few things right off not to do is do not drill the glass, it will break as it is tempered and will make a mess and could cause damage to your self or others.

another thing is drilling the holes in the metal frame isn't doing anything more than what the sunlight does.. by heating up the frame and evaporating the moisture in the glass.

Putting chemicals in the glass is only going to make it not fixable when taking it to get it fixed. Placing chemicals in the glass or on it will result failure to any new seal.

If you break out the inside glass and you have had the fogging problem for a long time it will not do you much good because the outside pane of glass is the one that is stained...(etched by the moisture attached to the glass for so long) and if you break out the outside pane then you will not have the dark colored glass, or on the front driver cab windows and entry door window you wouldn't have the dot green glass that is required.

The longer the glass is foggy and the longer that water droplets in between the panes is there the more the glass will be etched and thus causing permanent damage to the glass. At a certain point new glass would be needed..thus increasing the cost of repair.

I dont want to over step my bounds in here and get kicked out.... i just giving you some safety tips...and information to the questions, I just want to help.
daveroot is offline   Reply With Quote