Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

When I put down my jacks today on the journey my main entry door would not close and was misaligned. Brought the jacks up and it went back to normal (almost)...Am I "bending the RV"... What have I done now??? thanks folks...
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

When I put down my jacks today on the journey my main entry door would not close and was misaligned. Brought the jacks up and it went back to normal (almost)...Am I "bending the RV"... What have I done now??? thanks folks...
Old 08-02-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I don't know about yours seeing it's a DP but a few times with ours depending on the terrain the drivers door or the entry door gets misaligned not much but just enough to rub the sides. I think that no matter what people say about the beefy frames you do get frame flex very Little but it's there... Don't think you hurt anything though.. I would reverse the the pitch opposite of what you had to see when/if the jacks are retracted the door closes as advertized...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

capt.
have similiar problem with my 04 vectra, but not
that bad. It will kinda bind with jacks down but the door will close. To open i have to jerk
on it. I have tried differnt types of lubricants
all around, seems to help a little. Sorry don't
have a ready solution..Try to get level as
possible.

mrbojangles
mrbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Capt Mav

You do mention you have a Journey, but not year and model -- that could be helpful to understand the full picture. Newer systems are "smarter" than some of the older ones.

Is this when putting the jacks down manually? ...or when using automatic leveling (if you have that)?

Like Trek-Cyclist, we have sometimes noted our door binding a bit in some leveling situations (but never enough to totally not open/close). If it binds enough to be a problem, I would do as suggested and try tweaking the levelers manually just a bit to see if that helps.

The frame does torque a bit in some situations. Some mfgs have had problems with the windshield popping out when trying to level the coach!!! I have not heard of a Winnebago coach having that problem. But if you have automatic leveling, it is best to use it rather than trying to do it manually. Once the automatic system has done it's thing, we check the shower & bathroom doors to see if we are truly level. If not, I will bump one side up or down a tiny bit manually.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

AF Chap, thanks... Its a 2000 Journey, Freightliner chasis. The system is a manual one and the door is misaligned to the point where the latch for the door wont quite grab and latch. I wasnt sure if i should play with the levelers and try and torque it back a bit or not. I guess Im at a point where I will have to take it to a Freightliner service center. I did notice the bedroom and shower door a bit off also? This is all new to me and a bit confusing as I have the level bubbles centered up. I didnt realize an out of level coach could cause all these issues... thanks
Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

capt mav ...

My journey is a couple of years newer than yours ... but the only time that I have really torqued my chassis was when I was in a very uneven site ... and one of the jacks hit the "limit" (it could extend no further) ... the other jack kept lifting and torqued the rig ...

I solved the problem by retracting the jacks and driving that wheel up onto some blocks and putting the same number of blocks under the jack pads so that when I tried to level again the jack did not hit the limit ...

I just returned from an outing with my family ... I was parked on a very uneven site ... I had three blocks under the left duals ... two under the left front ... and one under the right duals ... so I put two blocks under front left jack, three under left rear jack, and one under right rear jack ... the jacks leveled the coach perfectly ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

CaptMav, welcome to the forum... I've had the same problem over the years, and come to the realization that it just doesn't always work perfectly or as expected. Using manual systems, it's easy to go a little too far, and it doesn't take much. Most times it goes without a hitch, but when my shower or entry door gets a bit "tweaked", I've pulled up all four jacks and put them down again to get a "better level", one time I did it four times to get it where I wanted it. My new rig has automatic levelers, but they're not that smart either, and sometimes I have to do a repeat with them as well. Best of luck
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Capt Mav; The lights on your touch pad can be out of adjustment. There is a sensor unit mounted somewhere mid coach in one of your bays that can be bumped by things stored in same. This unit can be recalibrated manually. If you doubt the accuracy of this system you can put a small level on your cabinet in the kitchen and double check the accuracy of the sensor pad. I use a level everytime and do not depend one the touch pad.
dfdretired is offline   Reply With Quote