Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The door latch on my '01 rig is not operating properly. I tried to take it off but couldn't separate the interior portion of the mechanism from the exterior portion. I removed the screws on the insided and it came apart at the top but not the bottom. I don't want to force the issue, any ideas?

Nick, Journey '01
Old 05-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The door latch on my '01 rig is not operating properly. I tried to take it off but couldn't separate the interior portion of the mechanism from the exterior portion. I removed the screws on the insided and it came apart at the top but not the bottom. I don't want to force the issue, any ideas?

Nick, Journey '01
Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I made an adjustment to mine and never removed inside or outside covers. There is a plastic cover on end of door that pops out by striker plate and is a 3/8" nut that needs adjusting. Fixed mine in no time flat. It got to where it would not open from the outside.

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ron,

Thanks for your prompt reply! I see the nut, do you remember which way you should turn it?

Thanks,

Nick, Journey '01
Old 05-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Nick, I also have a 2001 Journey and have occasionally been locked out by a malfunctioning door handle. The door handle manufacturer is Trimark Corp. (800-447-0343) They say the adjustment nut can be adjusted with a 7/16 "thin walled" nut driver. Do not know which way to turn because the opening hole in the door frame is too small in diameter for the outside diameter of my socket set. My advice is to call Trimark. Let me know how things work out. Good luck! Art ---P.S. I still leave one window unlocked so in case of door latch malfunction,I can crawl in thru window and unlatch from inside.
arthurval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Art,

Thankyou. I guess I'll head down to Lowes or Home Depot and see if I can find the tool since today is Saturday. I will call Trimark on Monday. Either way I'll post the results of my door latch adventure. I also keep a window unlocked to climb through if necessary.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 05-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Traveler of California- Is it actually the door latch that's causing the problem? I have a 2004 Meridian and was starting to have problems with the door kind of sticking and not opening. I discovered that where the screen door latches to the entry door, its supposed to hold the screen door latch open so it doesn't contact the door jam. But it wasn't quite keeping the screen door from latching along with the entry door when it was shut. Then when I tried to open the main door, the screen door was keeping both from opening and you can't reach the screen door latch - thus keeping both doors from opening. A simple adjustment where the screen door latches to the main door was all it took. Now everything works fine when the entry door handle is released. Maybe your's is a simple problem too.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2,

Yes it is the latch. Apparently when you open the door from the inside the outside handle disengages from the inside mechanism and if you close the door you have to climb in a window (hopefully you have one open). You can re-engage the exterior handle by "fiddling" with the interior exit handle while holding the exterior handle in the open position. A real pain.

As was suggested, I am going to call the Trimark Corp. and see what they have to say. Thankyou for your suggestion, I'll watch for that problem.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 05-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Art,

I called Trimark and they faxed the "fix". Tried it but it didn't work for me. I'm trying to get into a dealer while I'm on the road.

The fix is to:

Get a 7/16" thin walled deep socket make sure the screws on the inside plate are tight and then

1. Close the rotor (the latch which closes around the post when locked).

2. Lock the handle from the inside (using the lower manual locking lever).

3. While pulling up on the inside handle, manually (no power) turn the nut clockwise until the latch (rotor) releases.

4. Manually turn the nut counterclockwise 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns.

5. Unlock the door and open the door from the inside handle. The latch should release before the inside handle reaches maximum travel.

Hope this helps you. Finding the thin walled socket was difficult and I was unable to find one at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, and 2-3 auto part stores.

Nick
Old 05-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Hey, what window do you all keep unlocked? Just in case, you know. I just go in through the drivers side door, rather than climb through a window.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Bobpie,

Unfortunately my Journey does not have a driver's door so I usually keep the louvred window in the bedroom open. This window serves as the emergency exit window or in my case the emergency entry window. Fortunately, it was open the first time we were locked out. If it hadn't been I'm not sure what we would have done.

I guess that is a good question, what would you do to enter your coach if you only have one door and you are locked out? Suggestions?

Nick, Journey '01
Old 05-15-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Nick, I absolutly could not find a 7/16 "thin walled" nut driver that would fit. My regular auto mechanic even tried to grind down the outside diameter on one of his old sockets on a grinding wheel--did not work. I will call Trimark tomorrow and try to purchase an appropriate nut driver from THEM. I really do not want to disassemble the whole door latch if it is not neccessary. If I get one and it fixes things,I`ll get your address and send the thing to you if you would like. When and IF you get the problem resolved, please give me the details. Good luck. Art 2001 Journey Tampa,Florida
Old 05-16-2006, 04:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Art,

Let me know what Trimark says about a thin walled deep socket. After checking several places, one parts guy told me he thought perhaps a Snap-on Tool guy might have one. Of course, you have to find a truck as I don't think they have any retail outlets.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 05-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Nick, I went to Camping World,talked to tech. He showed me his "thin walled" socket---it was a Sears craftsman brand. Went to local Sears and bought a "socket,1/4"drive,7/16"deep,6point" for $2.99. They also had a nut driver,but do not ask for that. Get the socket. It fit my door hole and nut. Adjusted it as per your instructions and it is working. My latch was one full clockwise turn too much. The old saying,trust but verify--will still keep a window unlatched in case. Nick,let me know how yours works out. Enjoyed the conversation,Good Luck and happy camping. Art 2001 Journey
Old 05-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Nick, From your posts I gather that you are a full timer. Curosity makes me ask where are you now and how is full timing? Have you traveled a good portion of the USA? Art
Old 05-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Art,

Great, I'm glad you got it fixed. I also went to Sears but no luck. I was able to find the socket in a small town -- can you believe that? I seem to have it working, but like you I am leaving my emergency entry open. I am also going by my dealer as I head north and am having them double check my work.

Nick
Old 05-19-2006, 08:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Art,

Yes, we are full-timing and love it. Life is much simpler and we love the frequent change of scenery. This is such a beautiful and geographically diverse country that we are never bored. We stay in a place until we want to leave. We are currently in California as that is our home state. At the moment we are visiting my oldest son who has been living in and taking care of our home until we decide what we want to do with it. Of course while home I have all these things to fix, etc. After a few days I'm ready for the road again!

We have travelled a good portion of the lower 48, most recently the mid-west and southeast. The folks in those parts of the country are so polite and cordial that we really enjoy being in their midst. Californians tend to be "rush-rush" and the culture out here is changing dramatically. We will remain in the west and northwest until the middle of July and then perhaps back east. We haven't decided. We do spend the cold months in Las Vegas as the weather is great there from Oct to May.

How about you, where are you and do you full-time?

Nick
Old 05-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Nick, Thanks for your reply. Wife and I live in Tampa, Fl. I am a retired Optometrist, (4 yr. now) Just turned 65(good ole medicare, sociable security and aarp) Wow, how time flies. Have been motorhoming off and on since 1972. Not full timing, do not think we could give up our home base. Our travels are approx. 4 mo/yr. Love our current Journey and hope to keep it for a good while more.Weather is nice here 6 mo/yr --fish,golf,family times,home maint.,etc. Hot in summer, we try to be elsewhere then. Good chating with you. Will watch for some of your future posts. Art
Old 05-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Back at you Art. Enjoy your summer on the road. Perhaps our paths will cross if we evey get to FL during the good times.

Nick
Old 12-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I've been having the same problem recently. Thankfully we have a drivers door as a backup entry method.
Thanks for posting the adjusting procedure I'll try it out tomorrow. I've adjusted the nut but never knew which way our how much turn it.
Great forum, what did we do before the internet?