Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Entry door issues

Hello. I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 39K. The entry door doesn't seem to want to stop opening and I am worried it is going to go past full open and bend the hinge or the door. There is a door stop in the middle of the door on the front edge, but it doesn't seem to work. Doesn't anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it? Also it doesn't seem to want to stay open either. I am afraid a gust of wind or my 6 year old is going to rip it off the hinge!! I did a search on here, but couldn't find anything related.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi. There is a doorstop mechanism that is a part of the door hinge. Yours is probably broken. If you call lichtsinn motors, the Winnebago parts supplier, and explain what is happening, they can probably direct you to the correct part. I had to buy one once for a 2000 Journey and it cost me in the neighborhood of $85.00. Hope this helped.
Steve
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

thanks. I'll look into that and see if its the problem
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Deucenut,
I'm suspecting yours is like ours and any other Winne and Itasca of that eara. If so, here's a video of mine when I messed with it. I had the door panel off and analyzed the mechanism. What I came up with was an addtional piece of rubber, inserted in such a manor that it augments the positive door stopping action and holding power. It's not perfect but, it's considerably better than it was before I "Macgyvered" it. Just an idea. See what you think. Just click on the picture and it puts you in photobucket and it will start the video.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Scott, I watched your video numerous times. I am assuming the square rubber piece is inside the door. What the loud thumping noise? Was it difficult to take the interior door panel off? What did you make the square rubber spacer from and does it now stop the door from opening past 90 degrees? Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Deucenut,
That little square piece of rubber was/is the spacer/additional piece that installed over the flat, semi-square piece that's used as a door stop. That "Popping" you hear is an "over center" spring-clamping action, inside that section that you can't see through. That particular mechanism is Winne's and Itascas answer to keeping the door at 90 degrees as opposed to many Fleetwoods having a "strut" that kinks when the door is closed but, straightens out when the door reaches 90 degrees open and positively won't let it go past 90 degrees.

Now, my remedy or, temporary fix I should say, has been working fairly well now for almost two years. Is it perfect, does it keep the door from over extending past 90 degrees, Nope but, it's better than it was prior to my alteration. If our door is open and a gust of wind comes up that's above the norm, yep it will take the door with it. But, for most normal situations, it keeps it at 90 degrees pretty good. I know in my little video, as much as I tried to make it seen and heard, how that mechanism works, it's not all that clear due to the fact that what's causing the "popping" and snapping is hidden from the video.
Scott
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Deucenut,
That little square piece of rubber was/is the spacer/additional piece that installed over the flat, semi-square piece that's used as a door stop. That "Popping" you hear is an "over center" spring-clamping action, inside that section that you can't see through. That particular mechanism is Winne's and Itascas answer to keeping the door at 90 degrees as opposed to many Fleetwoods having a "strut" that kinks when the door is closed but, straightens out when the door reaches 90 degrees open and positively won't let it go past 90 degrees.

Now, my remedy or, temporary fix I should say, has been working fairly well now for almost two years. Is it perfect, does it keep the door from over extending past 90 degrees, Nope but, it's better than it was prior to my alteration. If our door is open and a gust of wind comes up that's above the norm, yep it will take the door with it. But, for most normal situations, it keeps it at 90 degrees pretty good. I know in my little video, as much as I tried to make it seen and heard, how that mechanism works, it's not all that clear due to the fact that what's causing the "popping" and snapping is hidden from the video.
Scott
I see, was it difficult to remove the inner door panel? I am wondering if a strap at the top of the door would be a better answer? But is there enough room in the door jam for that strap, that's the question.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Deucenut,
I did this little remedy quite a while ago and to my recollection, removing the door panel was quite simple. I think I had to remove the handles/lock but, that in itself is no biggie. Then, a few screws and the panel is off. You can then observe the mechanism as you open and close the door. Believe me, in my decades of fabrication experience, I'd have added a strap, strut, gas shock, ANYTHING to improve the safety of that door, its hinge or operation if I could have.

There is a company that many on here have recommended for a fix or, remedy of some sort to that door situation. I think, (if it hasn't already been mentioned) it's called Three T RV or something like that. I'm sure someone will chime in here and give you the correct coordinates to get to them. If I recall, they have some sort of remedy that may work but, I was happy with what I did at the time so, I didn't pay all that much attension to what they had to offer. I'll probably take another look at their remedy. Hope this helps some.
Scott
Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to a thread over on the Winnebago forum on rvforum.net with description and pictures of adding a fabric strap at the top of the door: Entry door stop strap .

(You may need to join the forum in order to see pictures in postings)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to 3-T's RV Products in Lake Havasu.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys. I'll check them out when I get home from work.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I didn't necessarily want the "strap" hanging down although it is a good idea, I'll admit. I use the 3ts door stop and it works great. A little pricey, but I feel it is worth it. Even a strong wind when parked, can hyper-extended the factory door hinge. If we are parked and we have a strong head wind, I will bungie the door using the mirror as an anchor. Doesn't look great, but does work.

Tags
door