Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I had a mobile RV lube service do my oil & tranny fluid changes today along with chassis lube. When the service guy went to change the fuel filter, he found it was impossible to get the filter out of the engine compartment from below ...he could get it off, but could not get it out. It was too far inside the compartment to reach it from the rear, so he asked me to see if I could get to it by removing the access panels above the engine in the bedroom. We could see two access panels above the engine from inside the engine compartment. I discovered inside that I could get to the rear-most access panel by lifting the closet floor. I could not get to the forward access panel as it is under the platform/step between the bed and the closet, and that piece is not designed to be removed. That was where I really needed to be, but I did manage to reach the filter from the rear access hole by nearly standing on my head on top of the engine. I was able to pass it out the back to the tech, then take the new filter and put it back where he could get to it from below to install it.

I've had the filter changed twice before, once by a Western Diesel place and once by a Truck Fleet place. Have those of you who have changed the fuel filter (there apparently is only one on my engine ...not a primary and a secondary ...) run into this problem? ...or do you know if service places who have done it for you have had a problem with access? ...or is my 350 ISC Cummins unique?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had a mobile RV lube service do my oil & tranny fluid changes today along with chassis lube. When the service guy went to change the fuel filter, he found it was impossible to get the filter out of the engine compartment from below ...he could get it off, but could not get it out. It was too far inside the compartment to reach it from the rear, so he asked me to see if I could get to it by removing the access panels above the engine in the bedroom. We could see two access panels above the engine from inside the engine compartment. I discovered inside that I could get to the rear-most access panel by lifting the closet floor. I could not get to the forward access panel as it is under the platform/step between the bed and the closet, and that piece is not designed to be removed. That was where I really needed to be, but I did manage to reach the filter from the rear access hole by nearly standing on my head on top of the engine. I was able to pass it out the back to the tech, then take the new filter and put it back where he could get to it from below to install it.

I've had the filter changed twice before, once by a Western Diesel place and once by a Truck Fleet place. Have those of you who have changed the fuel filter (there apparently is only one on my engine ...not a primary and a secondary ...) run into this problem? ...or do you know if service places who have done it for you have had a problem with access? ...or is my 350 ISC Cummins unique?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Paul,

Our coaches are different but the floor between the bed and the hanging locker (closet) is removable on mine. We had it off when the coach was new and they were troubleshooting a sensor problem.

If you only have one filter on the engine, I suggest you have another one installed. I'm not sure yet if I have a primary and a secondary on my ISL. I know where the primary filter is located; haven't yet spotted the secondary which could be buried anywhere on the engine.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Paul, John is right (as usual) the top step( floor between bed and wardrobe) is removeable. Have not seen the floor removed inside the wardrobe as of yet.
I think the screws are under the lip of the floor. Give Winnie a call as I know this is what my service center had to do...Good Miles and be safe...Jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a model 40K, but the same chassis as you. I have had many oil, and fuel filter changes without any problems that you describe. The fuel filter is located in the very rear of the compartment and you can easily see it through the real grill. Could the service people be changing something other than the fuel filter??

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had to have some fuel pump work done on my '02 UA 40J at Cummins South in Chattanooga, TN. In order to gain access we had to move the matress to the front of the rig and remove the flat hinged panel that the matress rests on. (The 40J has a fore-aft bed orientation). The fuel filter was changed at that time. There is only one fuel filter that I am aware of.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have the 2002 Ultimate Advantage,,,40E...just had the fuel filter, oil filter, water filter , trans filters, and air dryer filter changed in Oklahoma City before coming to Florida....all was done from underneath ,,,the tech used a creeper and did not have any trouble with any of the filters on the engine...my fuel filter is the type with the water separator built into it....

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Okie:
We have the 2002 Ultimate Advantage,,,40E...just had the fuel filter, oil filter, water filter , trans filters, and air dryer filter changed in Oklahoma City before coming to Florida....all was done from underneath ,,,the tech used a creeper and did not have any trouble with any of the filters on the engine...my fuel filter is the type with the water separator built into it.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okie - what did all that work cost?

Don
Old 01-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Paul, John is right (as usual) the top step( floor between bed and wardrobe) is removeable. Have not seen the floor removed inside the wardrobe as of yet.
I think the screws are under the lip of the floor. Give Winnie a call as I know this is what my service center had to do...Good Miles and be safe...Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly the case with our former 04 Journey - screws just under the lip. A tough one to get out the way it was wedged in. When we had some electrical problems it took the Cat tech ages to work off all 3 (yes - one in the closet, the one just outside and a third under the bed) access points open to see where the air inlet heater was located.

When we had other service done including a recall, we made sure we could get the tech right to the spot he had to be to do the work as quickly as possible and they really appreciated that help.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The fuel filter is located in the very rear of the compartment and you can easily see it through the real grill. Could the service people be changing something other than the fuel filter?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Interesting difference in different floor plan of same year & model coach... The only filter visible through the rear grill on the 40e is the hydraulic/power steering filter right inside the grill. The fuel filter is toward the front of the engine on the passenger side, partially visible through the grill with a flashlight if you know right where to look ...it was definitely the fuel filter.

I did find the screws under the lip of the step ...that would be a lot of trouble to go to just to change a filter! The under closet hatch is easy to get to once you empty the "stuff" you have on the floor, and it worked for us. A really long arm through the rear hatch is what is needed.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Don,,,the cost was a little over $500.00...the most costly thing was the filters for the 3000mh transmission as both were changed and they come in a kit....also this includes having the automatic adjusters on the front checked and lubed and the adjusters on the rear adjusted since they are not automatic.

Malibu Toad
Old 01-21-2006, 05:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I can tell you on my 2005 C7 CAT Engine that they need to go under the bed to get to the secondary gas filter. The primary with the water separator is at the rear of the coach behind the grill

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

AFChap, interesting that difference. When was your coach built? Ours was built in May/2003. Maybe it would be worth relocating it to the rear??

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When was your coach built? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pat

As I recall, it was Aug 02, but a twin 40e to ours that was built in Spring 03 has the filter in the same place judging from the owner's description on Winnebago Owner's group list on Yahoo.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

One of fuel filters....

I was taking picture of fluid checks,but the secondary fuel filter is visible just in foreground.

I'm assuming the other one is buried under the closet floor as others have said.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

My hydraulic tank is on the other side (left) and hydaulic filter under it is the only filter visible from the engine access door. Engine oil fill is on the same side, but nowhere near as accessible ...behind coolant tank and coolant recovery tank & braces. Engine oil & trans dip sticks are on other side of engine above the hydraulic tank. I do have a Spartan chassis ...believe Vectras and other Winnie diesels are Freightliner.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:25 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Hey Okie- Who did your work in Okla City? Living just 110 miles north, this would be a nice drive to have work done. Had a service recall done in Tulsa at Freightliner RV Oasis and wasn't very impressed with the shop. They may have called it a RV Oasis but it was still a large diesel truck stop. Shop flat rate was like $85 for trucks but $120 for RVs. I do most of the oil changes and lube myself but when it comes time for engine air cleaner and air system dryer changing, that will be a different story.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:39 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I get my service at C & E Truck in OKC,,,their flat rate is $71.00 a hour ...dont think there is a different rate between Trucks and RVs...be sure to call and make appointment and check if they can get the necessary parts...

Malibu Toad
Old 01-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Thanks Okie - Maybe I should have asked if they work on any diesel and any chassis. I have a Cat on a Freightliner. Also, are they careful about working in your bedroom? I had some Cat warranty work done in Springdale, Ar last year and the technician actually put surgeons socks on over his shoes each time he stepped into the coach and took them off just before stepping out. BUT they are 250 miles away and at another time our appointment was 2:00 PM and we sat in the shop till after 8:00 PM (thank goodness that was warranty work also, can't imagine what they charged Freightliner), and they only worked a little over 45 minutes. Golly I guess I kind of hijacked the thread some, sorry.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I have an 03 40K on Sparton chassis with Cummins ISC. The fuel/water separator filter is on the right side, near the rear, below and to the right of the radiator overflow. The hydrallic filter is mounted on the left side. Oil change, replacement of water filter, oil filters, fuel/water separator filter, lubing all zerk fittings, and SCA testing at a authorized Cummins dealership cost $221.00.

I believe I have only the one fuel filter however I've also heard there is another "large particle" screen type filter located somewhere between the fuel tank mounted electric fuel pump and the fuel/water separator located at the rear of the rig.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote