Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Emergency exit window?

I have a friend who owns a 2007 Winnebago Vectra. My question is, aren't there supposed to be an emergency exit window in the bedroom area. Her's does not have the emergency window. but does have other windows. Any help on this matter would be appreicated. Thanks
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
I have a friend who owns a 2007 Winnebago Vectra. My question is, aren't there supposed to be an emergency exit window in the bedroom area. Her's does not have the emergency window. but does have other windows. Any help on this matter would be appreicated. Thanks
Some large windows pass for an emergency one. Is any of their window latches painted red? Also it may help you to get more responses if you name your thread with the topic you wish to discuss. Okie-Dokie as I can see is your forum name .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have an 07 Ellipse and the bedroom window is an emergency exit. Two red levers on the bottom of the window to remove it. It's good you're checking this out. You want to know how to exit the coach from the bedroom area since just about everything which might catch fire is between there and the door.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Is there a window that has a exit sign and a red handle to open it? Ours does. It is a regular sliding window at the foot of the bed that is used to exit in an emergency. Largest window in the bedroom.
We also keep a bag to grab at night with clothes, credit cards, computer, etc to grab on the way out. Be prepared.

Quote:
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Jerry, My friends Winnebago Vectra does not have any of the red exit signs nor the red handles on any of the bedroom windows. I thought I read somewere that it was a safety issue to have an exit window ?
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Here is a link to a photo gallery of a 2005 Vectra and there is red handles on the bedroom windows
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD Motor Home Class A - Diesel at Lichtsinn Motors Forest City Iowa Lichtsinn Motors .

Possibly they left off the red handles on your friends, but maybe they are still emer. windows. I suggest your friend call Winn. to be sure.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

While we're on the subject ,I would like to share some important info I learned while attending a seminar by Mac the fire guy.If your emer. window is one that lifts ( pushes out and up ) than you should measure how far up it lifts and cut two pieces of 1"x2" wood to act as a brace when climbing out ( if of course you have the time to do it ). I use two 30" such pieces. He also said to grab your blanket or bed spread and place it at the bottom of the window prior to climbing out to avoid scraping your probable naked body.

Didn't mean to hijack thread , but I thought that sharing this info would someday come in handy.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks Jerry, My friends Winnebago Vectra does not have any of the red exit signs nor the red handles on any of the bedroom windows. I thought I read somewere that it was a safety issue to have an exit window ?
Is there a window big enough to crawl out? That is all that is really necessary. It is good to try or practice getting out the window.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Things I keep next to the bed: Hammer for the windows in case the latches are stuck and a pair of gloves. It is dark, you wake up and smell smoke. The lights do not work. You can barely see. Imagine fumbling with latches. The hammer will make a nice opening instantly. The glass is tempered and will crumble just like a car door window. It isn't going to cut you enough to make a difference but getting out really fast will.
maybesoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Emergency exit window

We have 3 smoke/heat detector with emergency light built in. We also have 3,1.5 lb Coldfire extinguishers. My DW keeps a small breif case with important stuff. Getting out the windows is not easy, we are in our late 60's and move quite well. We tryed getting the window and feel we will hurt ourself but better then burning.

We hope the detectors will alert us and the extinguishers will kill the fire.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Drop the bedding out the window to cushion and use sheet tied or hooked inside to help lower to ground if time is available. There are probably other ideas.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

We do have a large emergency window in the bedroom. However, it is a good distance to the ground so we do have one of those emergency exit ladders in a box next to the bed. Not sure we'd have time to get that deployed but it is there. We keep a set of car keys and the dog leashes next to the window. Good idea to put other essential stuff in a little bag....wallets, etc.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote