Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2023, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electronic Dip Stick? Intellistick?

So,
The (younger) master mechanic who owned our Winnebago Sunrise was fantastic and all the mods and tweaks and upgrades he did to the motorhome are great and she runs like she was new. However (there is always one) since he installed stainless steel headers and a modified exhaust system, it seems the traditional access to the dip stick had to be sacrificed. In its place he fabricated a stainless steel flexible one, that has to be accessed from under the vehicle.
Checking my oil level requires, something to lay on, a flashlight, and me down on my knees then back and squirming under the chassis. Were I Younger... I would only require one beer afterwards... but at my age it is definitely a two beer event and a royal pain in the ....ask me later..back.
So I began the google search for what I thought would be available, some kind of sensor and of course and APP.
NOT!
In 2007-08 there was a gizmo that got rave reviews by a few publications including Motor Trend called the Intellistick, which they claimed was fab and had even been tested by the USA military. Well it does not exisit anymore and I can't find a solution.
Any ideas or is the two beer process my only option?
Thanks!
Brian
PS: Sunrise comes out of winter storage in two week but don't tell the trout in Vermont.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wow! Thats different..I was flabbergasted when my wifes Mini Cooper came home and discovered it has an electronic dipstick!...Instructions are to run the engine.(hope there is oil in it) for 20 or 30 minutes so it achieves operating temperature and then twiddle the screen knob until you find a picture of an oil can with a little drip coming out of the spout then click on it and with the engine still running!! a screen will appear and show if your oil level is good or needy.....What the H^%ll is wrong with a regular dipstick???Shear stupidity...This results in a $144.00 simple oil change 'cause they can't just suck it out of the non existant dipstick tube...Really...German (BMW) engineering at it's finest...Grrrr
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
German (BMW) engineering at it's finest...Grrrr
All gas BMWs after about 2014(??) are done this way. But when my wife had a 2014 5-Series oil changes and Jiffy Lube were no more expensive than for any other car. We learned to reset the "Oil Life" meter ourselves. It was easy.

Now she drives an all-electric BMW i4 - no oil changes ever again.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I wonder sometimes when the oil filter is buried deep in the bowels of the engine if the filter gets forgotten..The excuse I got for the high cost oil/filter job was they have to remove a large plastic splash guard which involves many screw fasteners and that takes extra time or replacement of various parts? Think I will do the next oil change even without a dipstick .....Enjoy your I4 ......Not ready yet for anything electric
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote