Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Electrical Power

We have lost power in our 2014 Journey 2014 this morning. We tried the breakers, power pole neither 50-30amp work to give power. Park checked the pedestal, that is working. Called service to come out. Anyone have suggestions what to try before service gets here?
CookieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If you have the experience and a meter check the input and output sides of the transfer switch. That would be the first place that I would start. The transfer switch switches between the generator when it is running and the AC from the pedestal. Default is to connect the generator to the motorhome whether it is running or not. When AC is applied from the power pedestal the transfer switch is activated to connect the AC pedestal to the motorhome's AC power system.

Remember you are dealing with 110 volt/240 volt AC circuits. Follow standard safety practices.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If your coach is equipped with an automatic transfer switch, it could be faulty and not engaging when you plug into shore power. Also check the main breaker switch on your electrical panel..

Good luck and let us know the fix...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Start your generator and see if then you have power. If so then I would suspect a faulty transfer switch. Good Luck and hope all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Here is trail to your wiring diagram:

Wiring Diagrams
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
aa1ssradio

Had same issue in my Ultimate. Wires on transfer switch were loose. Made it do crazy things. Physically reset all breakers as I found sometimes they look ok but they are indeed tripped
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Don't transfer switch's default to shore power ? Well mine does.

They build in a delay, before switching to generator power, so it can get up to speed. Mine is 15 or 20 seconds.

The other way around there would be a load on the generator immediately after starting, if you left things on. ( I do )
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
try the generator. does it provide power? if it does then your problem is likely the transfer switch.

have you plugged into a different post? if that works then the problem is the other post.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Don't transfer switch's default to shore power ? Well mine does.
Depends on how you define "Default" but using your defination Mine does too. HOWEVER I have seen more than a few (And I am not an RV service technician) Which default to "NOT CONNECTGED" and do not connect till shore power is applied. (or generator power plus time)

The path some are (optional)

Park pedistal (May not be delivering power)
Plug (I've had them go bad, carry a spare 30 in fact)
Cord where it connects to plug
(Cord where it connects to Motor home or Trailer) (Note 1)
(Inlet on Motor home)
Transfer switch {Connections}
Transfer switch failure
Cable to Breaker box {Connections}
Main breakers.

Now we get to diagnosis mode.
Does ANY 120volt device work,, Air conditioenrs on fan for example? If so then you have power.. Is the fridge showing AC if so you have power.

Time for that note 1: I once helped a fellow camper with a brand new "Sticker in window" 5er. No power to rig.. When we started checking the Marinco outlet (The end of the cord that pluggs into the trailer) Fell off in my hand. Remember I'm not an RV service techinician. I'm just assisting a fellow RVer.

From here on it's all optional

DO YOU HAVE AN INVERTER (This is a device that enables you to, for example, watch TV or Microwave Lunch without running the Generator when not plugged in).

IF so you have more circuit breakers.. They may be on a 2nd panel somewhere (mine are in the half bath) or thy may be on the Inverter.. Often well hidden.

Also the Inverter's connection panel but it would be better to let the service tech play around in there.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieRV View Post
We have lost power in our 2014 Journey 2014 this morning. We tried the breakers, power pole neither 50-30amp work to give power. Park checked the pedestal, that is working. Called service to come out. Anyone have suggestions what to try before service gets here?
Check to make sure its total loss and not just on the inverted side.

We lost power earlier this summer and found a fusible link between the house batteries and the inverter. Check to see if you have power in your house batteries and if it is going to the inverter.

On our unit there is a lead going from the batteries to a stud on the left side of the link and power comes out of the link on a stud on the right side of the link and goes to the inverter. Check your power on both studs. If you have it on the left and not on the right its blown. It is easily replace and you can jump around it with a jumper cable until you can get a new one.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:06 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

In my manual, and in practice, 'the default' for the ATS, is when generator power is sensed, the ATS will engage the generator power (after a short delay) even if there is shore power available and on.

And if you get dirty contacts, it can act strange, on and off, that sort of thing. I know, as mine started doing that occasionally, after (my fault for being distracted) had the A/C set to come on at too low a temp setting, and started the generator on a very hot day. At first power, then no power, then lights flashing on the computer panel, then on, then off, etc. Would not work reliably on generator power for a day. But once I hooked up to shore power, the contacts must have cleaned themselves a little. Worked great under shore power or gen power for the next year. Occasional gen power issues once in a while, I should take the ATS apart and see if the contacts can be cleaned, or replace it.

Your problem sounds like a problem with the ATS, and if you do have gen power, then it is probably the contacts on the shore power side.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
In my manual, and in practice, 'the default' for the ATS, is when generator power is sensed, the ATS will engage the generator power (after a short delay) even if there is shore power available and on.
In another post I commented that there are two meanings for "Default" And then proceeded to use what I assumed the person I replied to meant.

Yours.. Is the other meaning.. I agree with both of course.

Moral of this post (For the benefit of others since YOU have already done this).

When you use "Default" as it applies to an Automatic Transfer Switch.. please tell us which Default you mean.. Thank you

Some "Default" (Meaning how they are configured if NO pwoer is present) to SHORE.

All "Default" (Meaning which service gets priority) to Generator

Some "Default" meaning again how they are configured if no power is present, to NOT CONNECTED.

Thus I prefer the term "Resting state" which is the state the switch is in if NO power is present.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Everyone, it was (is) the transfer switch. We have temporally wired to my pass the Gen. LaMesa RV here in Mesa has ordered us the part .Surge Guard 50A Automatic Transfer Switch with Limited Protection | Technology Research, LLC Thank you all!
CookieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieRV View Post
Thanks Everyone, it was (is) the transfer switch. We have temporally wired to my pass the Gen. LaMesa RV here in Mesa has ordered us the part .Surge Guard 50A Automatic Transfer Switch with Limited Protection | Technology Research, LLC Thank you all!
Glad you got it fixed! Electrical problems can be very frustrating.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, power