Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electric step problems

Hi guys,
I am in the first week of a 3 week vacation and am in Glacier park. Well my step decided to quit working and my wife is just a short little thing. The step light works, I can hear the selinoids clicking when I shut the door. Ideas ?
A quick fix like replacing the controller or...
Oh yea, 2012 vista 26P
John
leptronjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If you do a search a lot of info related to your problem will surface. Probably you will have to crawl under the steps and wiggle them, pound the actuator and find some lube and lube everything. Twice. It might help.....than again.............
Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

Common parts

A voltmeter is a required tool in any RV so we'll assume you have one.

Check the fuse with an ohmmeter.

Check the voltage across the fuse holder with a voltmeter.

Check the voltage at the motor. You may need to remove some connectors/covers to get at it. DO NOT put yourself in the path of the step! If it suddenly breaks free and moves it will hurt you. And especially keep your fingers out of anywhere they could be pinched.

If you can hear the motor spinning and nothing is happening you probably have a stripped gear.

If the motor goes 'clunk' and nothing moves something is jammed.

The motors themselves are nothing more than power window regulators. Any good auto parts store can probably look at the numbers on the motor and get you a new one in very little time.

Hope this helps.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys, good ideas
Muddy paws, is ther a fuse under there for the motor?
Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #5

Got to be one somewhere

There has to be a fuse somewhere. Mine is in my power bay and clearly labeled.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

First off do not place your body under steps down space it will crush you.
You have three grounds to chassis frame a heavy green wire you can see going to chassis frame another is off the control unit and screws into the base plate also green, one that is always missed from the magnetic screen door switch which goes to chassis frame but may not be in general area around the step its a grey or purple wire that connects to control unit wire lead.
You may need to remove screw and star washer and clean up rusty location on frame remake connection and apply di-electric grease on spade wire ring and screw.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Stay off to the side of the steps and give the motor a little rap the next time the door is opened. With the lights and hearing a clicking then you probably have power to them.
If it comes out after the rap they come out. lube all the points the manual shows.

If you don't have one. Look under Trouble Shooting
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Lubrication is important. Be sure all the linkage on both sides of the steps and the linkage from the motor to the steps is also lubed. The motor shuts off in either direction when the controller sees the amperage draw reach a certain level. Excessice resistance from bound up or rusty linkage will cause the amperage draw to reach the shut off point.

I believe the breaker for your stairs is behind the carpeted plate at the rear of the top step. The top step has to be removed before you can remove the carpeted plate. In our last Adventurer the carpeted plate was held in place by Velcro strips at either end.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just had mine replaced 30 days out of warranty. The new motor had to come from Winnebago since they use a specially designed motor. It was a Kwikee motor too. If yours requires a new motor, probably need to have your service center order it from WB. Simple removal, 3 screws and a 2 wire plug in. We had to carry a 2 step utility step for a week.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ok, I got it. Well for now.
I followed everything you all gave me.. I checked the voltage at motor.. It was there but was week. I pulled and cleaned every connection I could find, that gave me the volts I should see. Then with a bit of pry and a rap on the motor it came loose as my wife opened the door..
Looking back , it was my fault. I was spending my time modifying the motor, suspension and transmission, I forgot the simple maintainance project.
Thanks for everything.. I will enjoy my vacation more now.
John and kathy
Old 09-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by leptronjohn View Post
Ok, I got it. Well for now.
I followed everything you all gave me.. I checked the voltage at motor.. It was there but was week. I pulled and cleaned every connection I could find, that gave me the volts I should see. Then with a bit of pry and a rap on the motor it came loose as my wife opened the door..
Looking back , it was my fault. I was spending my time modifying the motor, suspension and transmission, I forgot the simple maintainance project.
Thanks for everything.. I will enjoy my vacation more now.
John and kathy

I am in the process of fixing my steps and it sounds like the same problem so here is what happened and what I did.

1-steps stayed in
2-replaced magnetic switch on screen door and steps started working.
3-two weeks later steps stopped again (in of course)
4-had a tech out and told him steps went in and out smooth when they worked but now they don't.
5-he assumes motor is fine so moves ground just to test (but light was working so it had power) he orders new module
6-he gets sent wrong module from parts supplier and reorders but is told it will be 3 weeks because that number is back ordered.
7-I get under bus (it is hard because I have bad hips) and check all connections, I think maybe a corroded connection is problem.
8-I lightly tap motor with needle nose pliers and steps start working.
9-I call tech and tell him. So after several tries to order whole steps we order a "kit" which includes motor + module so we cover all bases.
10-kit comes incomplete and is missing some leads from the plug of the module because it is a universal kit.
11-steps still don't work as we are waiting for lead to connect module.
12-sounds like I should have read your post first.

Actually I am assuming that the motors get a dead spot from years of use and if it stops on that spot then no steps...........but I could be way wrong.

Don't know the cost yet.

Dave.........in central IL..........without working steps.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ripper farm,
The thing about a group like this is the diverse answers and the ability to catalog all of them. What you have pointed out is.. The motor stops every time in exactly the same place, every time . Now that is on the table we facter in rain, salt, humidity and usable voltage. Now you get the dead spot you pointed out.
Ouch, I will order a spare motor to stalk in my garage.
I wonder if I could come up with a brushless conversion for this?
John
Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #13

Motors

Hundreds of folks, perhaps thousands, have taken the motor out and taken it to an auto part store and found out that it's a standard power window motor.

Chances are you'll find a 'non-kwickee' part number somewhere on it. Google that number and you'll find an exact replacement for lots less. Ford window motors seem to be the most common and even if you have to get it from Ford you're still saving money.

How much does Quickee want for theirs?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The motors are as stated window drive motors. The failure is lack of lube on the steps, try that first. The motor is controlled by a load sensor and stops when a certain load is attained, normally fully extended or closed dry or corroded conditions change that. The other common failure is broken plastic gears in the motor. There are 3 plastic slug gears that disintegrate, available at Auto Zone and Advance auto.

Take the motor off and take it to an auto store, it is normally a Ford Taurus late 80's driver side window motor, under $50 the gears are $4/5. Regardless what the RV OEM says the motor is likely going to be an automotive window application.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #15

Ya' Know.....

After saying all that I decided to crawl under my step and take a look at things. I decided that it may be a good thing to carry a spare for when it goes out. I've tried to find a motor based upon the numbers on the label but so far have found nothing. The number is probably '214-1001 rev. 9 7E31'. I peeled the label off expecting to find a Ford PN embossed underneath it but found nothing.

Strangely enough it appears to be a right hand (RH) motor, as indicated by the RH1 on the motor mount. Or maybe that means something else?

There is a pin through the output shaft that appears to have come halfway out. (Yu can see part of it in the attached picture) I've got it soaking in some penetrating oil and will drive it back in ASAP. So even if I don't find a spare at least I found the pin before it fell out.

If anybody has a Kwikee model # 903211000 and you've replaced the motor with a window lift motor I'd like to know what you found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138small.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	45831  
Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Muddypaws

Look here. AM Equipment : 214 Series Gearhead Motor, 12V, RH Housing [214-1001] - $45.73
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 214-1001 specs.pdf (52.3 KB, 73 views)
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #17

Thanks!

Ordering one now.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Here was my journey, kinda like learning about sex on the street corner.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/step...le-133020.html