Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electric slide out lock

Anyone having trouble with the electric slide out lock? Only works now and then.
steve258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, we have that. Service guys didn't seem surprised,
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

slide lock

We have an Adventurer and one of the slide locks (we have two on the big slide) only works now and then. The dealer sent for a new motor. Maybe that's what you need.
oldyoungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We don't use them. As we were doing the PDI one lock broke and the slide would not work. It took the tech over an hour to get it free. The dealer replaced the lock and it broke again. There is a very delicate micro-switch that is its heart. So far we have about 24K miles w/o a slide moving. These slides are Power Gear.
On our last two MHs we had HWH which never moved improperly. They had the little straps that help you rip out your moulding. HWH told me they don't supply the straps.... Winnebago did; so we didn't use them either.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yep. Mine are HWH and have failed a couple of times. I had both slide locks fail and took it in for repair a couple of weeks ago. They said that the actuators were just dry and stuck so they lubed them and got them working again.... for exactly one week. Now the street side lock isn't working again.

I believe the HWH locks have a drain hole to the outside of the coach which gets plugged and needs to be cleaned out now and then to avoid retaining water in the lock mech.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yes! Had them fixed. My Winnebago is 2008 model with the slide lock. Here is what I found.

There is a field modification put out by Kwikee/PowerGear. What has happened is that they put two washers on the bolt to the motor. It causes the head of the bolt to hit the motor. It is to thick this way and there are two modifications. One is to remove one washer, and the other is to notch a channel in the casing. Guess which one is easier. I had mine done by a service center. The technician came in and handed me a lock washer broken in two pieces. Look on the PowerGear web site, or send them an email from their web site. They are typically quick to reply

It will get worse and worse as time goes on. At one point, when I did not know what caused it, I had to call a mobile tech. He didn't know either but he put his strong back against the large slide and heaved while I pushed the in button. That worked until I got to the repair facility.

Be very careful if you have that long passenger slide like I don', about 20+ feet long. There are two motors that lock it into place. If only one starts to fail the slide will get very much out of sync and may cause damage. They need to come in together. When using the manual override mode no end should come in more than 2 inches further than the other. In my mind even that is to much.

Sorry this is lengthy, but I think it is worth posting in case anyone else has problems.

The technician showed me what to do in case of a "jam." On the slide lock that is failing (Small slide will not come in, big slide one side will not come in, indicates lock failur (or motor failure - hope not)) Remove the plastic cover from the slide lock. With an assistant manning the switch, take a pair of pliers and reach up and grab the shaft. On your command have the assistant push the in button while you move the shaft back and fourth (around). It should break loose and the slide should move.

Happy trails and good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-S0519.pdf

Sounds like our problem too! Techs fixed them and they worked for about 1 week, now jam down again.

Todd
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I'm very curious if anyone else doesn't use their slide out locks like Cousin Ed stated. If there is no issue with the slides creeping out this seems to be an instant fix. Any information is greatly appreciated.
russdiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I removed the plastic frame around the hole in the top of the slide-out and covered over the slide-out mechanism with an aluminum patch -- sealed to prevent any water problems. We've driven over 3,000 miles on various road surfaces and the slide-outs have not moved. If I wanted to return to using these locks I left the switches and mechanical components in place.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I don't use my slide out locks anymore. They stay in the unlocked position. I have been on some winding roads and I have not had any problems with them creeping out. I'm under the impression that they are most needed when there are strong cross or quartering winds.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ditto Wayne - and for liability reasons. Seems all companies are plugging any possible issue for CYA.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Wayne and John for sharing your information. Seems like I just might start not using the locks before I run into problems. Also, Wayne I enjoy your threads because I too have an 2008 Destination. Thanks again guys.
russdiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by russdiane View Post
Thanks Wayne and John for sharing your information. Seems like I just might start not using the locks before I run into problems. Also, Wayne I enjoy your threads because I too have an 2008 Destination. Thanks again guys.
The main reason I went this route is the issue with water leaks as a result of the drain hole becoming plugged -- if you need a pipe cleaner to routinely clean these small tubes, why include this feature in the design of the slide-out? The lock basin(s) are situated where you cannot access to clean from the top??
Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve258 View Post
Anyone having trouble with the electric slide out lock? Only works now and then.
Two years, four months, full timer, 26,000 miles.

I use the locks "religiously". Early on the front lock on the driver's side full slide was intermittent. Turned out to be a loose connection. Easy to access, easy to fix, they (knock on wood) haven't missed a beat since.

I use the slides ALOT! I will run them in and out to make access to the basement compartments easier. To the tune of several times a month if I stay someplace that long. Any time I bring one of the slides in, I engage the locks, just to exercise them, even if it is brought in just to access a basement compartment.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Last Friday Winnebago sent out a tech bulletin with the slide-out lock fix to their dealers. Ours is in the shop for a week, so we'll see if they can get the part(s) and get 'er done.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Last Friday Winnebago sent out a tech bulletin with the slide-out lock fix to their dealers. Ours is in the shop for a week, so we'll see if they can get the part(s) and get 'er done.
Great news! I got mine out of the shop a month ago just before hitting the road on this 4 month trip. I had them "fix" both front slide locks which they found to be just jammed and in need of grease. They worked for exactly two cycles.

Do you know what the fix is?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

.....Do you know what the fix is?......

Rick
Sorry, no. Just know a parts kit is involved...
Old 08-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Had my locks fixed twice only lasted for about 1 week, have not used them since we have the HWH system and in 2 years full timing no problem
Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Just got the Sightseer back from the shop. The slide-out motor was replaced. It is the official Winnebago repair procedure.
I wouldn't call it a recall, a service advisory perhaps. It worked on the lot, we have several stops in the next few weeks to test it out. And, kudos to Tom and McMahons RV Palm Desert, for getting this resolved so promptly.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

The RV Tech that did our walk through said that the slide out locks were historically problematic and it would be advisable not to use them. He said that the driving mechanism on the bottom was what really held the slide in and the chance of the of the top tipping out was extremely rare. We followed his advice and after more that 20K miles through some rough and winding roads we have never noticed them even budging out on top.
On this last extended trip we have been using the computerized leveling system quite often and noticed that it locks the slides as part of it's routine. Luckily, the unlock switches seem to work fine. I did notice that the passenger side slide control located in the dash "drawer" buy the driver would not work (the drivers side does). The slide out control for that side located in the bedroom still works...go figure!
I plan not use the locks and just keep an eye on the slides at each stop.

Tags
slide