Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2006, 02:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have the Dometic Electric Door Awning. I never used it over 10 times in a two year period.

It started by going out two inches wait, it would go out an two inches and over and over till it was fully extended. Had to crank it in.

Finally about three months ago it quit working at all. Dometic and Tech say I need a new motor,
$466.00 total awning $750.00. Only 1 year warranty on the door.

Now when you don't use something for awhile and then find it defective it seems like you should have some recourse, but we have none at all.

Told them I could do a lot of cranking for $466.00 plus labor yet it galls me to no end to buy something use it about ten times and then be up the creek. Thanks for listening.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have the Dometic Electric Door Awning. I never used it over 10 times in a two year period.

It started by going out two inches wait, it would go out an two inches and over and over till it was fully extended. Had to crank it in.

Finally about three months ago it quit working at all. Dometic and Tech say I need a new motor,
$466.00 total awning $750.00. Only 1 year warranty on the door.

Now when you don't use something for awhile and then find it defective it seems like you should have some recourse, but we have none at all.

Told them I could do a lot of cranking for $466.00 plus labor yet it galls me to no end to buy something use it about ten times and then be up the creek. Thanks for listening.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ichn2go ...

I have had lots of trouble with my Oasis Elite door awning, too. Motor burned out at 15 months; end of roller broke at 30 months.

A&E supplied a new motor (I had to pay labor for replacing it) since I was barely out of warranty at 15 months.

I think the 1 year warranty on the door awning stinks. My guess is that this is awning has lots of repairs; hence only a 1 year warranty.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:00 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Jimmy, you mention that "Dometic and tech say you need a new motor" and I wonder if YOU have called Dometic directly...

If I were you and in this predicament,I would call their customer support number and tell them JUST what you told us...

Hopefully you'll reach someone on the phone that can help you.

Here is what I found for contact information...

Phone: 1-800-544-4881
E-mail: [email protected]

Dometic
P.O. Box 490
Elkhart, IN 46515
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:13 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I agree with you. The warranties based on time sometimes work out that the product never gets used. You would think that the motor on an awning would last longer than a dozen uses.

I can't blame you for cranking. I crank mine...of course though, mine didn't come with a motor.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We also have noticed this awning not very effective. Maybe the supplier would replace the unit with a manual model as a good will offering? Since you do not use it often that may be all right with you? Less to go wrong with a manual model!
Old 10-13-2006, 05:08 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe-K:
I can't blame you for cranking. I crank mine...of course though, mine didn't come with a motor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone ever seen the small pull down manual awnings on Winnie Diesels. I have seen numerous entry door pull down awnings on other coaches IE: Holiday Rambler, Monaco, Alfa etc. These would work much more satisfactorily on the Winnie Diesels instead of the troublesome electric.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ichn2go...here is how I fixed the problem you have...Your awning is hanging up inside on a bolt that without lube hits the shaft of the in and out mechanism next to the motor....I wrote a detailed post about the easy permanent fix...It is in this forum dated "July 27,2004 at 3:57 P&gt;M" sorry I don't know how to link it.....It is also found via my profile under Past posts, page 7 or 8....Hope this works RKL.
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

While discussing door awning motors make sure to remove the leftside end-cap that covers the motor. Drill a drain hole in the bottom. I'll bet some motors go bad because they sit in the sludge caused by rain and dirt build up in the end-cap. You'll be amazed how close the motor is to the dirt in the cap.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I guess the care free model is the better choise
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the replies. I e-mailed Winnie but don't have a reply yet..Maybe Brian is busy.

I spoke with dolmetic, Rv service of Va and Lou about the problem Bob. I e-mailed winnie on thursday.

Rkl thanks for the info..I remember your article and at the time I checked the doughnut,but I think I will check it again. The only thing I am getting now is a click and then another click in the box. It went out about 2 inches and wait at one time but not now..thanks you all.