Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Easy-Rest sofa bed

When it comes to guests using the Easy Rest sofa bed is there any sort of mattress topper that will make it reasonably comfortable and then still be stowable?
I'm guessing we're stuck with a foam topper, then stashing it in the basement, etc.
Anyone found any good solutions?
Old 11-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Site Team

I've often wondered how anyone could sleep comfortably on our Rest Easy sofa.

It's fine as a sofa - though it takes up too much space for it's recline feature. And, come to think of it ours is noisy as we drive and the "foot rest" mechanism is hard on our vinyl tile floor. And.... As I said, it's fine as a sofa.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Personally I hated ours, lousy bed and lousy reclining sofa (the foot rest was a pain to deal with). We yanked it out and replaced it with two beautiful electric leather recliners from Macy's. Mostly it's just the two of us so guest sleeping isn't a priority. The recliners are pretty sleep-able and there's plenty of room for a much more comfortable inflatable mattress should the need arise.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

One of the first (of many) changes we made to our Journey was to have the EasyRest re-upholstered. Frame out. (Because Miss Winnie was new to us, all textiles and foam - headboard, windows, carpet, etc were removed, replaced or deconstructed, cleaned and re installed.)

Angel took a piece of the same firm foam being used, cut it in a triangular cross section as long as the seat, sewed up a zippered cloth cover and included it in the job. His idea. Stores underneath. Looks odd. Works.

As a sofa it is comfortable. As a bed it is OK with the triangular piece in place. Impossible to put sheets on. But the only time it is used for sleeping is when our grand daughters travel with us, and we have them in sleeping bags. Shimmer n Shine if you must know.

We spoke with another couple who said they solved the problem with a swimming pool noodle.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
One of the first (of many) changes we made to our Journey was to have the EasyRest re-upholstered. Frame out. (Because Miss Winnie was new to us, all textiles and foam - headboard, windows, carpet, etc were removed, replaced or deconstructed, cleaned and re installed.)

Angel took a piece of the same firm foam being used, cut it in a triangular cross section as long as the seat, sewed up a zippered cloth cover and included it in the job. His idea. Stores underneath. Looks odd. Works.

As a sofa it is comfortable. As a bed it is OK with the triangular piece in place. Impossible to put sheets on. But the only time it is used for sleeping is when our grand daughters travel with us, and we have them in sleeping bags. Shimmer n Shine if you must know.

We spoke with another couple who said they solved the problem with a swimming pool noodle.

Hmmm, thanks, I’ll file that one in the things to try. It can’t hurt.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I’m not familiar with your couch, but ours is terribly uncomfortable too. We use an air mattress on top. You have to re-inflate every evening, but it doesn’t take too long. We then store that under our bed.
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
Site Team

I must be the only one to find it comfortable. :-) Both me and my wife have had a case of the flu and a bad cough the last two weeks. So we could both get some sleep, I’ve been sleeping on one side of the rest easy. Even though it’s in 3 sections, they meet in a way that doesn’t bother me, and I like being able to slightly raise the head section to allow for better drainage and less coughing at night (hope thatks not TMI). We have always found it very comfortable to sit on, and was one of the reasons we chose Winnebago over Tiffin, and now I’m glad to know how it feels I when sleep there, too. However, everyone is different so I understand why it may work for some but not others.
Al
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I must be the only one to find it comfortable.
Al, my only complaints - because I never tried to sleep on it - is how far it sits from the wall and hence how much room it takes up. And, how cheesy the footrest thing works.

My wife on the other hand likes it. We bought one of those Walmart ottomans that is pretty close in color to the vinyl on the sofa. She uses that rather than the sliding footrest and likes how the sofa reclines just a little for knitting while she watches TV.

I suggested getting rid of the sofa the first month we had the RV but she vetoed that idea. The only other thing I wanted to change was the iDeal Rest mattress. Luckily, she agreed on that one.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

My wife says it is without a doubt, the most comfortable couch in comparable and higher priced RVs. We have used it to sleep length-wise and it is OK. Pulled out, It is not.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

purchase Info

I own a 2014 Aspect 27k. I'm looking for info to purchase a rest easy sofa or Comfort Rest sofa to replace my dinette in my class C. Any info will help please.
Tmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Tmahal
The "RestEasy" sofas are made by Winnebago to specific dimensions for a few of their coaches. Your best bet is to scour the Winnebago forums for someone removing one. You could probably furnish your entire coach for what Winn would want for a new one - if they sell them.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #12
RDH
Winnebago Watcher

Can comfort rest sofa be taken out of a 33 c ?
RDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Yes. Surprisingly few parts and bolts. Remove that flip up foot rest. Remove the two arms. Remove seat. Remove back. Remove the slide out portion. You're left with the frame and attached motor . Disconnect motor electrics plug. Unbolt frame from slideout.

You're done!

Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

That’s exactly what we did last year. Also replaced the swivel recliner in our ‘14 Adventurer 38Q. The seat cushion inverted. Very uncomfortable.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote