Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

This may be a wierd happening on my coach but I will share it with you all.

After driving down a dusty road my rear fiberglass cap (the complete rear end) collects dust that outline all the structural members that are embedded in the rear cap. I have washed and waxed the rear cap evenly to try to eliminate a wax issue. Could it be a static electicity issue.

Does the structures beneath the fiberglass have some magnetism that may be drawing the dust to the rear cap?

Has anyone ever noticed this on the rear of their coach?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This may be a wierd happening on my coach but I will share it with you all.

After driving down a dusty road my rear fiberglass cap (the complete rear end) collects dust that outline all the structural members that are embedded in the rear cap. I have washed and waxed the rear cap evenly to try to eliminate a wax issue. Could it be a static electicity issue.

Does the structures beneath the fiberglass have some magnetism that may be drawing the dust to the rear cap?

Has anyone ever noticed this on the rear of their coach?

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 06-30-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I've never seen that on mine (structural outlines) and I've been on some really dusty roads. I have noticed that a morning dew will create some outlines... -I think that might be different temeratures attracting moisture differently. My coach is a gasser, not DP. I believe your A/C ducts run up the back outside wall on a Journey/Horizon right?
Old 06-30-2006, 04:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My coach is the same way...dust outlines the structures behind the cap. Happens with dew or condensation also.
kellysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Jim,
Just a quick question??? Have you noticed any rust forming on screw heads or more than "normal" rust on the undercarrage. Sometimes stray currents can cause an electrical charge on your rig which will attract dirt on the stringers and frame.

jk
still deciding on the "Journey"
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Our DP has done the same thing for four and a half years and nothing I have done seems to help. I think it might be static in the area of the structural members or the glue that holds it all together. If someone has an answer to this one I would really like to know.
Thanks, Bob
rvrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have noticed the same thing and it must be static causing it, don't know what else it would be.
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 06 Meridian 34H and have the same problem with dust and the outline of the supports. The frist dirt road I went up it happen, and I just blamed it on the exhust pipe that was facing down and boiling the dust up. But still not found out why is sticks to the rear panal more than the sidewalls.
Rosewood Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

May I suggest that when you are moving through the air, a partial vacuum is created back there and that's what causes the dust to swirl back there in a large horizontally oriented eddy. It looks like a hydraulic in a small water fall, that's why kayaks get stuck in hydraulics. Race cars with spoilers make bigger eddies and it forces the car down on the track.

Air essentially does the same thing in the back of your motorhome and it isn't related to static electricity. The air goes over the roof and when it comes over the end of the cap it begins a downward roll and it continues until you're stopped.

My motorhome get a lot of dirt on the back of it and every shelf like space has an ample deposit of sand and or debris. 1st order of business when I get into a site is to blast away some of the dirt if I can get away with using a bit of water.

This process gets amplified by 100% in rain when it combines with road dirt and leaves an immense mess all over the rear of the coach.

Have you ever seen a car or SUV with a rear deflector? It does keep the back of the vehicle a lot cleaner because it forces a high speed jet of air directly downward over the rear of the vehicle blowing off deposits that would be swirling around in the partial vacuum.

....and that's all I've got to say about that!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I think I understand why-how the dust swirls around the back of the MH but what I see as the problem is why does the dust stick more to the areas that are the outline of the reinforcements on the onside of the back cap. It looks like many of these bars are not attached to the structure of the motorhome and probably could not be engergized by some kind of electrical problem. I think it is a static problem caused by the bars,glue and back cap chemistry that makes the dust stick in those areas. Our former Chietain gasser did the same thing (the problem finally when away on its own) but not as badly as out current Journey. Thanks for the input.
Bob
rvrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Think of a glass of cold water and how moisture condenses on the surface. The same could happen to a motorhome if some of the structural material under the fiberglass is cooler than the dewpoint of the ambient outside air. The dust will be attracted to the condensation on the cooler surfaces.
That my 1 cents worth.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

The metal structure of the coach transfer heat or cold loss much better than the insulated wall area. When the surface of the structural area is below the dew point of the outside air, the moisture in the air will condense on the colder surface. The dust could be attraced to the water.

As for it on the rear structure only when traveling, it could have something to do with the air flowing over the coach creats some friction and the air and dust could loose a few electrons and become charged. If the surface of the coach is charged oppositely, it could attrach the dust to the charged areas.

The nylon/polyster "electrostatic" air filters work on the principle of air moving over the fbers creats a charge that attracts the dust.

Ken
Old 07-06-2006, 05:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jk_and_dog:
Jim,
Just a quick question??? Have you noticed any rust forming on screw heads or more than "normal" rust on the undercarrage. Sometimes stray currents can cause an electrical charge on your rig which will attract dirt on the stringers and frame.

jk
still deciding on the "Journey" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the delay in getting back but we don't always have an internet connection while travelingin Alaska. Thanks for the replies.
I have not noticed any great amounts of corrosion on the undercarriage.
The metal stingers on the rear cap are all enclosed by fiberglass from the inside. I guess it is just one of those things

See Ya on the road,
Jim

Our Webpage